Which charger would you buy today?

whatisacar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL 2014
Country flag
With Tesla and Ford partnering up and Ford adopting the NACS charger, I was wondering which charger I should get (taking delivery of a Mach E soon..ish).

Is it stupid to have a Tesla charger + adapter as my home charger? I heard that Tesla does make one of the best chargers.
Sponsored

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Emporia that fits the car.

I would only get the Tesla charger if housed inside full time. Leaving a Tesla tap out in the weather full time seems sub optimal.

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would get the one that fits your car you just ordered not the Tesla one. Wallbox Pulsar Plus charger is great and you can buy an adapter cheap on Amazon that converts Tesla level 2 chargers to your car. since its a new car you will likely have for years buy the charger that fits it. Who knows what your next electric car will be after this one with adaptors its easy to convert. I recommend a plug-in charger that way if you move you unplug it and take it with you.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Your car will have a CCS port. No reason to buy a Tesla charger.

JuiceBox 48.

Jppumper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1st car: 1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach-E X Premium
Occupation
Retired Master Certified Heavy Truck Technician
Country flag
With Tesla and Ford partnering up and Ford adopting the NACS charger, I was wondering which charger I should get (taking delivery of a Mach E soon..ish).

Is it stupid to have a Tesla charger + adapter as my home charger? I heard that Tesla does make one of the best chargers.
I have a Canadian made Grizzl-E in my garage and I would buy it again.

richsi

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla M3P, 2024 Ford Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I had a Wallbox, good charger, I just got the Autel commercial unit with display, I love it!

thekat03

First Name
Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E CR-1, 2022 Volvo C40
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
I have a ChargePoint. It's more expensive that some of the others, but the cable is among the best in cold weather. The Tesla charger is good, and if you likely will have something with the Tesla connector, it may be worth getting. State of Charge on YouTube does a lot of good reviews of various chargers, to help you decide which fits your needs best.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
We're using the OEM charger that comes with the car and if it dies w/in the warranty Ford will replace it.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I have one of the Kickstarter juicebox chargers. If I were to buy today probably a clipper creak, juicebox, or charge point.

If you want a Tesla charger they do sell one with a J1772

EMachE

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Mechanic
Country flag

I have a Flo X (48amp) brand made in Canada and love it.

Anthropod

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150, on order 2022 Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
Emporia that fits the car.

I would only get the Tesla charger if housed inside full time. Leaving a Tesla tap out in the weather full time seems sub optimal.
I have two Emporia’s. I love their build quality and the app is pretty good too.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There is a youtube review of most of the available units. They all have plus and minuses. I would suggest checking with your local utility for any rebate programs which often apply to a specific brand of EVSE.

NYSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium AWD SR - Vapor Blue (STILL WAITING!)
Country flag
Your car will have a CCS port. No reason to buy a Tesla charger.

JuiceBox 48.
I agree with Rick - hardwired Juicebox 48.
I just added a 2nd Juicebox 48 and use the load share feature where the 2 Juicebox's share 1 60amp circuit and it works flawlessly.
What else do I like about the juicebox?
1) Nema 4 weather rating - important for me as both of my Juicebox's are outdoors
2) 25 foot cord - believe me, you need this even if you think you don't.
3) 48a - fastest level 2 charging
4) Load sharing as I mentioned above
5) Excellent app that alerts you when charging starts, ends, and much more.
6) If there is a power outage during charging, the juicebox will resume charging when power comes back on
7) Customer service. What used to be a negative, is now a positive. 24 HR phone tech support and the people who answer the phone (quickly btw..) know what they are talking about. I was walked thru the setup of the load share and they stayed on the phone with me until I successfully tested it.
8) Compatible with utility demand response programs

.. and I think it looks good!

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE; 2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Three years ago, I installed a Tesla Wall Charger because I had a Model 3 at the time. When I sold the Model 3 and bought two MMEs, I acquired a TeslaTap Mini adapter, which has been working flawlessly ever since. My Tesla Wall Charger was mounted on the outside wall of my garage for three years and it worked fine exposed to the elements (sunshine is the biggest threat where I live).

This weekend, I removed the old Tesla Wall Charger and installed an Emporia Level 2 Smart Charger. The Emporia is the only charger that optimizes charging with excess rooftop solar energy production, which should further cut my electricity bill.

Before you make your decision, check out this review of the best wall chargers for 2023.

Last edited:

IMDIDOC

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 1970 Z-28 RS Original Owner
Occupation
Optometrist
Country flag
I've had two. Autel and Grizzl-E. Advantages and disadvantages to both. The Autel is a smart device, so if you are into lots of stats, consider a smart charger. The Autel KW is software selectable, were the Grizzl-E is dip switches internally. The Autel's cord is stiffer especially in cold weather even though it's thinner than the Grizzl-E.

The Grizzl-E is nothing to look at, but appears well built. I put a meter to monitor how many KW I've used each month. The Autel will show that in the app, but I found it different than the meter before the unit. The Autel reports what's been sent to the vehicle, but there is additional juice to run the Autel that it doesn't consider.

Bottomline, most 40-50A units are good, just what features do you want. i.e. outside mount, smart, etc.
Sponsored