Bayviews88

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Rte1 RWD, Space White
Country flag
Many times? No, house wins vast majority of times.

You would have paid Match b2b to powertrain? What?

Discount Tire 4 tire certificates well below $250.

1) Refund existing policy.
2) Buy Flood or Granger or Zeigler.
Except in California, where we can only purchase from California Ford Dealers. The dealerships here must have a great lobbyist.
Sponsored

Bayviews88

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Rte1 RWD, Space White
Country flag
If you bought an extended warranty who did you buy it from? And how much did it cost you? Been searching and looks like floodfordesp.com is the cheapest.
I bought a Ford ESP warranty when purchasing my new CA Route 1 from Walnut Creek Ford (California) in September 2022:
60 month/60,000 miles PremiumCARE, $1,535.

I cancelled this six months after purchase (at the same time I also cancelled the $1100 72mo/60K maintenance plan bought at purchase. Don’t ask, I was just happy to get a MachE on the lot at MSRP during the 2022 pandemic MachE shortage).

At this point i’ll wait until just before my 3yr/36k b2b is running out to see if I keep the car past that point. If I do keep the car for more than that timeframe, I will consider an extended warranty because given the issues I’ve seen now with these first generation MachEs, we will be driving the maintenance equivalent of a Mercedes after the factory warranty ends

Last edited:

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
That is why I have car insurance. I am protecting my "investment" in case of an accident. That is apples to apples unlike the warranty comparison.

I do however drop full coverage to liability only when the car is valued at $5,000 or less.

Once again, if one keeps the money in a separate account (instead of giving it to the warranty company) for the repairs past the factory warranty, you in effect are saving money and you are able to protect your family via inheritance like you suggest with the life insurance. And btw, chances are the repairs won't fit into the their definition of what is warranted.

The term "Extended warranties" should be changed to "extended payments". In the end, it will cost more on average. ;)
Really, they're all form of insurances. they just cover different things. But in essence, it can be broken down to shared risk. In all cases, you're paying a "small amount of money" with the understanding that if something happens, the insurance will pay out. Extended warranties are the same.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Except in California, where we can only purchase from California Ford Dealers. The dealerships here must have a great lobbyist.
Florida too.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I had originally purchased the extended warranty with my car (back in 2021), but cancelled it soon after since I realized I paid quite a bit too much for it.

Just started to get near the 36K mile mark, so I went ahead and purchased the warranty again, through Granger Ford's website (super easy). Still love my Mach-E, but having a Job 1 who has already had some minor warranty repairs done, I'm happy to have some small peace of mind. Figure even if I do end up moving on at some point it's transferable.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
I would prefer to get cashback too, but Mach e didn't have that option. However it had an option of a good interest loan PLUS cashback that covers a big chunk of that interest.
Now CD accounts have twice higher interest then that loan. So what is the point of refusing the loan that allows you getting a cashback and makes you a lot of money on the difference of interest
Autopayment will save you from collectors
If we are talking "pure investment", the MME was not a good purchase if you still own it investment wise. One would have been much better off to place the "extra" money into almost anything else. A car has fixed costs. You need to pay for insurance, tax etc. Many people think that if they borrow against the car that it is "free" money to invest into something else? What happens if that "investment" goes sideways? You now have a loan on an item that is tanking. Even if it is a low interest loan, you still have debt and you are now seeing other items that you need to purchase with a higher interest rate and you have nothing to borrow against for future loans. In other words, you are treading water and starting to sink.

Now while it is easy to look back and "arm chair quarterback" what one should have done, the MME wasn't a good investment. If I am going to borrow money, I want to protect my investment and have equity on hand if things go sideways. I have known way too many people from the late 70's and early 80's that had the same philosophy. Borrow to the hilt and take the extra money and invest. Many of those people lost everything. Now I realize that the last couple of years were anomalies, but I can't forget my friends parents that went broke because of that mentality.

I will only purchase what I can afford (when speaking of cars) and borrow and invest in things that more than likely, will increase in value (not cars). Cars are on the bottom of that list. :cool:

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
If we are talking "pure investment", the MME was not a good purchase if you still own it investment wise. One would have been much better off to place the "extra" money into almost anything else. A car has fixed costs. You need to pay for insurance, tax etc. Many people think that if they borrow against the car that it is "free" money to invest into something else? What happens if that "investment" goes sideways? You now have a loan on an item that is tanking. Even if it is a low interest loan, you still have debt and you are now seeing other items that you need to purchase with a higher interest rate and you have nothing to borrow against for future loans. In other words, you are treading water and starting to sink.

Now while it is easy to look back and "arm chair quarterback" what one should have done, the MME wasn't a good investment. If I am going to borrow money, I want to protect my investment and have equity on hand if things go sideways. I have known way too many people from the late 70's and early 80's that had the same philosophy. Borrow to the hilt and take the extra money and invest. Many of those people lost everything. Now I realize that the last couple of years were anomalies, but I can't forget my friends parents that went broke because of that mentality.

I will only purchase what I can afford (when speaking of cars) and borrow and invest in things that more than likely, will increase in value (not cars). Cars are on the bottom of that list. :cool:
In any case it is better to have money handy for any purpose (including paying off the debt) then have them "frozen" into the car. In the first case at least you have options. Also if you invest any money you are always taking risks. But nobody talks about investing, Put it on CD - you'll still get more then the interest and no risks

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Country flag
In any case it is better to have money handy for any purpose (including paying off the debt) then have them "frozen" into the car. In the first case at least you have options. Also if you invest any money you are always taking risks. But nobody talks about investing, Put it on CD - you'll still get more then the interest and no risks
First off, the money isn't "frozen". The money is in a vehicle that can be sold at any time. Actually, it is more fluid than a CD. If you withdraw from a CD early, you will pay a penalty. I would also venture to say that many that purchased an MME, didn't have a pile of money to divest anyway. That is just and educated guess though. My accountant (without saying names) always says that more people than not are upside down than not. In other words, they will just be stuck paying interest rates the rest of their life with little to show outside of that.

At the time I purchased my MME, the interest rate to borrow was more than the interest rate than I would have received in a CD or bank account. Also, every time you borrow money, it goes against your credit rating and future loans can carry a higher interest rate. This is how Banks make money. They give out loans that yield more interest than they pay via CD's etc. The only time you are ahead, is if you can time it out well. A crystal ball would come in handy. If I would have known that CD's would be worth much more now, I would have been better off. I didn't know that and it could have easily gone the other way.

If one could predict the future you would always be better off to buy stock or other investments that you know would appreciate. I can't tell the future btw. :cool:

But I do know this, if I borrow money, 99% of time it will have a fixed cost above and beyond the purchase price. If I don't borrow money on said item, in the very worse scenario I am losing out on an investment other than placing the money in the car whether that is in a form of a CD or other low risk investment. I am also required by law to have full coverage insurance if there is a loan on it. In the end, I would most likely pay it off anyway.

Like I said in my other posts, the money in my car is so little in comparison to my portfolio that I am not losing sleep on saving a small interest difference in a CD compared to an interest loan (once again it would have been higher in my case and I would have lost short term).

I guess the short of it is that most people with money don't borrow money on vehicle purchases. They do however borrow on real estate and other "big" projects. By not having multiple loans on your vehicles (if you have more than one) will most likely pay you dividends when borrowing for some substantial loans because you will have a higher credit rating i.e., lower interest loans. The same is true if you have a lot of credit cards. The more you have, the worse off you will be in the end.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
First off, the money isn't "frozen". The money is in a vehicle that can be sold at any time. Actually, it is more fluid than a CD. If you withdraw from a CD early, you will pay a penalty. I would also venture to say that many that purchased an MME, didn't have a pile of money to divest anyway. That is just and educated guess though. My accountant (without saying names) always says that more people than not are upside down than not. In other words, they will just be stuck paying interest rates the rest of their life with little to show outside of that.
I though we were discussing the case when the buyer has enough cash.

At the time I purchased my MME, the interest rate to borrow was more than the interest rate than I would have received in a CD or bank account. Also, every time you borrow money, it goes against your credit rating and future loans can carry a higher interest rate. This is how Banks make money. They give out loans that yield more interest than they pay via CD's etc. The only time you are ahead, is if you can time it out well. A crystal ball would come in handy. If I would have known that CD's would be worth much more now, I would have been better off. I didn't know that and it could have easily gone the other way.

If one could predict the future you would always be better off to buy stock or other investments that you know would appreciate. I can't tell the future btw. :cool:
Sometimes you can. At the time when I was purchasing the car the inflation rate was so high that it was quite obvious that the fed will start fighting it with full force

But I do know this, if I borrow money, 99% of time it will have a fixed cost above and beyond the purchase price. If I don't borrow money on said item, in the very worse scenario I am losing out on an investment other than placing the money in the car whether that is in a form of a CD or other low risk investment. I am also required by law to have full coverage insurance if there is a loan on it. In the end, I would most likely pay it off anyway.

Like I said in my other posts, the money in my car is so little in comparison to my portfolio that I am not losing sleep on saving a small interest difference in a CD compared to an interest loan (once again it would have been higher in my case and I would have lost short term).
That is a different story. You are just playing on a different lever.....
But you were posting about this in a form of advice, that is why I have started this discussion.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Country flag
I though we were discussing the case when the buyer has enough cash.

Sometimes you can. At the time when I was purchasing the car the inflation rate was so high that it was quite obvious that the fed will start fighting it with full force

That is a different story. You are just playing on a different lever.....
But you were posting about this in a form of advice, that is why I have started this discussion.
If the purchaser has the cash to put down, I still stand by the odds of saving more by paying cash as opposed to borrowing the money. Once again, the Banks are in effect using your money to lend to others. If Banks made it a habit of getting less in interest than they pay out, they would not be in business very long.

And yes, inflation was/is high and the Fed were going to raise the interest rates. I guess if you knew that, then why in the heck did you purchase a car when the prices were high and not sell it right before they tanked? You would have been much further ahead to borrow money against a house with low interest (assuming you have equity) and take the cash out and sit on it for a while and place it in a short term CD and then take that money and purchase an MME for thousands less. You could have taken the entire equity out of your house with a low interest rate and made a pile of cash with a CD yielding around 5.5% now. You could then deduct the interest on your home for tax purposes.

I guess if I were Nostradamus like you, I could be much better off. ;)

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
If the purchaser has the cash to put down, I still stand by the odds of saving more by paying cash as opposed to borrowing the money. Once again, the Banks are in effect using your money to lend to others. If Banks made it a habit of getting less in interest than they pay out, they would not be in business very long.

And yes, inflation was/is high and the Fed were going to raise the interest rates. I guess if you knew that, then why in the heck did you purchase a car when the prices were high and not sell it right before they tanked? You would have been much further ahead to borrow money against a house with low interest (assuming you have equity) and take the cash out and sit on it for a while and place it in a short term CD and then take that money and purchase an MME for thousands less. You could have taken the entire equity out of your house with a low interest rate and made a pile of cash with a CD yielding around 5.5% now. You could then deduct the interest on your home for tax purposes.

I guess if I were Nostradamus like you, I could be much better off. ;)
I've got it at the moment when inflation was high but before the ford price increase. As for flipping it - I just don't know how it works. You still loose a lot on taxes and registration fees and I just enjoyed the car.
Plus I don't care about money enough to get myself into a "rat race"... it is just too stressful. But using common sense in dealing with them daily is just a natural thing.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Country flag
I've got it at the moment when inflation was high but before the ford price increase. As for flipping it - I just don't know how it works. You still loose a lot on taxes and registration fees and I just enjoyed the car.
Plus I don't care about money enough to get myself into a "rat race"... it is just too stressful. But using common sense in dealing with them daily is just a natural thing.
I am not suggesting doing what I posted in my most previous post but rather pointing out that if one could predict the future, one would do things much differently.

My main point of emphasis is to let people know that at the exact time of purchasing a car, the interest rate to borrow will surely be more than the interest rate that one can obtain via a CD. At the very least, one is speculating on what may happen in the near future and hedging their bets so to speak.

Now in the recent past (which is not common by no means), one would have been better off to borrow to the hilt on everything when interest rates were around 1%. But, things can change on a dime (no pun intended) and if you have nothing to show for it, you can lose everything that is borrowed. I have seen it first hand in the early 80's.

I also don't care about the "rat race" of taking un-needed risks by hedging my bets on everything. I take a sure thing (not paying interest on a car loan) and sleeping well at night that my car is in the garage and no one owns it other than me. ;)

Have a great day and enjoy your ride!!!
Sponsored