Who do you all trust more? ABRP or the FordPass app?

mjschillingtec

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Grabber Blue; BMW 328i Convertible
Occupation
Business
Country flag
Hey everyone, first long (385 mi) trip coming tomorrow. I am curious who's route planning you trust more - ABRP or the FordPass app?
ABRP has me stopping to charge twice, while FP has me only stopping once.

ABPR has me stopping after about 115 miles for an 8 min charge, then again at 203 mi.
FP takes me to the 203 mi site and then to my destination.

Thanks for the input
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Your question is not answerable, because we don't know the route you're traveling, nor your charging options. Nor do we know your driving habits, i.e. how fast you drive your GT on the highway, and what miles per kWh you expect to get. Nor if you have charging at your destination, i.e. what percentage of charge level you want to arrive with.

All of that is taken into account with ABRP, you can specify your arrival state of charge, you can state how fast you will drive, you can specify your departure state of charge (should be 100%), and you can "prefer EA" to use your free charging hours.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Don't forget plugshare too--you can check on if chargers are working or not (at least as current as the latest checkin there).

OP
OP
mjschillingtec

mjschillingtec

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business
Country flag
Your question is not answerable, because we don't know the route you're traveling, nor your charging options. Nor do we know your driving habits, i.e. how fast you drive your GT on the highway, and what miles per kWh you expect to get. Nor if you have charging at your destination, i.e. what percentage of charge level you want to arrive with.

All of that is taken into account with ABRP, you can specify your arrival state of charge, you can state how fast you will drive, you can specify your departure state of charge (should be 100%), and you can "prefer EA" to use your free charging hours.
i understand what you are saying. I did not enter driving habits into either app, and I did not specify arrival amount either. I will charge at my destination for sure. I will try ABRP again and enter more of that detail to see what they come up with. Thanks

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
i understand what you are saying. I did not enter driving habits into either app, and I did not specify arrival amount either. I will charge at my destination for sure. I will try ABRP again and enter more of that detail to see what they come up with. Thanks
If you create an account on ABRP, you can save the trip. Then, on your phone, you can bring it up from saved trips. You also save the car model and trim first.

If you're charging for free at the destination, then you can see it to say arrive with 10% charge.

OP
OP
mjschillingtec

mjschillingtec

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business
Country flag
I can't find the spot in ABRP to enter my driving speed, maybe b/c I don't have a premium account? One interesting thing is that it had me for 1 stop along the way if i leave today mid-morning, but two stops if I leave at 630a tomorrow. Are they accounting for rush hour traffic, or weather? Sorry for dumb questions, just learning

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
First time doing a route use both. I actually use the Ford in car nav and just check the charger locations.

But since you asked.

For such a short trip I would just use the in car. Having a smaller battery we stop about ever 150 to 160 miles and take a longer stop. For you that would give you just one stop en route and then another just before arrival. Not a bad thing. When we go to Tampa for overnights we usually DCFC just outside of town. Having the car at 70ish percent on arrival gives a person a lot of city driving for a few days and will get us out of the metro before needing to juice up again.

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can't find the spot in ABRP to enter my driving speed, maybe b/c I don't have a premium account? One interesting thing is that it had me for 1 stop along the way if i leave today mid-morning, but two stops if I leave at 630a tomorrow. Are they accounting for rush hour traffic, or weather? Sorry for dumb questions, just learning
No, you do not need a premium account.

In settings, scroll down to speed, and change from 100% (65mph) to whatever percent.

Time of day should not matter. They do not pull in weather without a premium account. Make sure your departure state of charge and arrival state of charge did not change.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
When EA would populate in the Ford Nav I would use it exclusively. It worked well for me and the routes I typically travel.

Now that EA is under construction and does not come up reliable in the onboard nav.......I've been winging it. I check rout in ABRP and pick my charge stops and nav point to point

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I donā€™t use ABRP. Never liked it. I pretty much have an idea where Iā€™m going to charge before I leave by using EA and Plugshare to see if the EAā€™s are working or if I need some other brand because Iā€™m off the highway. Then I let the in-car nav figure it out on its own. We usually agree but sometimes I get a charger option I didnā€™t know about. I also, almost always charge to 80% (or more, if needed) unless Iā€™m headed home. Iā€™m gonna need it eventually anyway so why cut myself short betting on the come, like a hotel charger that doesnā€™t work or is occupied when I get there. Those 8% recommended charges donā€™t make any sense to me.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
They are all good to use to get a general idea of where you would need to charge. I look at them all and then just use Apple Maps EV routing
Sponsored