Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium LR-RWD
Occupation
Designer
Country flag
Curious how many of you use the parking brake and what your experiences are.

Our MME lives outside in our driveway, which is slightly angled / not flat. So when we put it into Park and let our foot off the brake, it rolls back a few inches (not unlike any other car, but it feels more exaggerated than our Subaru, for instance). So we started using the parking brake to reduce that (almost stops it completely). But after not being driven for four days with heavy rain, I went to move it from one side of the driveway to the other, it felt like the parking brake didn't disengage (grindy noises). Later I went to drive it and, when I pulled away, heard "shrrrk - shrrrk - shrrrk" noises that sped up as the car sped up. It quickly dissipated and, less than a mile down the road, was completely gone. I figured it had something to do with the parking brake "sticking" and never looked into it further. And since then, I've avoided using the parking brake and the issue has never come up again. Now we just live with that weird sensation of the car rolling back after putting it in Park and letting off the brake...

Anybody else had any issues like this? I wonder if @Ford Motor Company has any thoughts on this...

PS/Edit - I never had any error messages or anything, truly just felt like something mechanical was "stuck" and "worked itself out".
Sponsored

Last edited:

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Always use the parking brake. Catching a 2000kg car puts a lot of undue stress on the parking pawl. That lurch you are experiencing is likely the car overcoming a thin layer of rust on the discs after being parked in the rain (independent of parking brake usage, will wear off as soon as you apply the friction brakes basically at all).

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Youā€™ll find a bunch of threads on this here if you search. Your only concern is if you have an earlier Job 1 MME; they had a not great brake pad thatā€™s since been replaced with a newer kind because it would break parts off and stick to the rotor (making the sound you described). Iā€™m pretty sure thereā€™s a TSB on it posted here somewhere.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
I concur with the above post youā€™re looking at some rust from non-use it builds up quick because the friction brakes donā€™t activate that often. Even more important to use your parking break on any hilly surface in an electric vehicle due to the weight and stress on the pawl. Lots of folks Are noticing that Rusty buildup after several days of letting their vehicle sit idle

Jes sayin

OP
OP
Doug&Julie

Doug&Julie

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Designer
Country flag
Thanks, I did a quick search and found a lot on the brake switch fault...guess I need to learn how to search in more detail.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I use mine when parking on anything with more than about a 3% slope, otherwise there's a lot of weight on the park pawl. In my garage I don't use the parking brake but in my driveway I do.

Avoid using the parking brake when the brake rotors will get wet, this can cause pad stiction issues that require brake maintenance. It would be best if you could park it in a garage or covered area so they don't get wet.

OP
OP
Doug&Julie

Doug&Julie

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Designer
Country flag
...It would be best if you could park it in a garage or covered area so they don't get wet...
Working on that...I have to sell the Boxster first, which we plan to do this summer. Then we'll have room in the garage for the Mach-E. I hated leaving it outside all winter.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Itā€™s just good practice. While youā€™ll be fine on flat ground, some transmissions (especially dual clutch) really do not like any type of roll back. If the hill is steep enough you could literally get stuck in park. Better to just not rely on a parking pawl.

shoopla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE, '16 Volvo S60 CrossCountry, '16 XC60
Occupation
Proj Engineer
Country flag
Itā€™s just good practice. While youā€™ll be fine on flat ground, some transmissions (especially dual clutch) really do not like any type of roll back. If the hill is steep enough you could literally get stuck in park. Better to just not rely on a parking pawl.
Agree 100%. Was always taught before turning off any car, to leave foot on brake, then engage parking brake, then turn off ignition. As mentioned above it prevents unnecessary strain on a traditional automatic transmission (and never trust a manual transmission "in gear"...I have 2 stories of people I know having them roll down a hill in the middle of the night). That said, not sure how much it saves wear on a gearless EV, but can't hurt and is still recommend in the manual. And yes, that sticking sound and follow on rubbing noise when disengaging the brake is normal if the rotors are wet or salty before engaging the parking brake. It will go away with a hard braking to clean off the rotors and pads. Every car I've ever owned has done this. Same thing happens if you wash the wheels thoroughly and then park it without drying the rotors off beforehand. If worried about it and part of the early builds, just ask dealer when you take it in for next 10k service. It'll be a warranty item.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
youā€™ll be fine on flat ground
Exactly.

For me, it's probably 95% when I park on flat or almost flat ground.

And I know when it's better to use parking brakes, my question was regarding "on all my cars every time I park it anywhere". The only reason I can see is a force of habit, not a logical choice.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I use parking break on all my cars every time I park it anywhere.
Same. Every car. Every time.

I used to only use them on manual transmission vehicles and skip it on the automatics. Then one day I found myself chasing my Super Duty Ford down the parking lot. Apparently they have a known issue where the shift tube hardware works loose and even though the shifter indicator says PARK, it really is in R or N. Lesson learned. Sometimes things fail. Sometimes P isn't P, especially now that it is all electronic. I listen for the motor to set the parking brake and then I take my foot off the brake pedal.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Exactly.

For me, it's probably 95% when I park on flat or almost flat ground.

And I know when it's better to use parking brakes, my question was regarding "on all my cars every time I park it anywhere". The only reason I can see is a force of habit, not a logical choice.
I do it every time every car. It is just a good habit to get into. Plus my driver's license requires it. I drive so many different types of vehicles that it is just best to always set the E brake.

The Mach-E throws the parking brake automatically when on an incline. It also selects Park when the door is opened. All cool stuff. But guess what? It also is supposed to follow the charge schedule and sometimes that doesn't happen. Better to be safe. It is an easy thing to do and you might avoid a serious injury in the event something doesn't work as expected.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
The Mach-E throws the parking brake automatically when on an incline
Interesting, didn't know that. Does it disengage it automatically when moved away from the "P"?

you might avoid a serious injury in the event something doesn't work as expected.
Are you turning the wheels toward the side of the road? ;)
Sponsored