Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Disclaimer - I’m NOT a pet owner.
Ok, that out of the way, why do people want “pet mode”? Wouldn’t the interior motion sensors suffice? I thought the motion sensors sent an alert to FordPass if interior motion was detected?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Some folks are asking for a way to leave their pets alone in their vehicles... On purpose... With climate control and a note visible to passersby to ask them not to break the glass or free the trapped animals.
Oh! So, they want to essentially leave the car running with the doors locked and a “post-it” note type thing that says “hey, my pet is ok in here”?
Does ANY car made today have this? I’m wondering how the display would be implemented for example? Also, what would happen if fuel (or battery) ran low?

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
Oh! So, they want to essentially leave the car running with the doors locked and a “post-it” note type thing that says “hey, my pet is ok in here”?
Does ANY car made today have this? I’m wondering how the display would be implemented for example? Also, what would happen if fuel (or battery) ran low?
Tesla has dog mode. I'd use it for sure if it was on the Mach-e.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Tesla has dog mode. I'd use it for sure if it was on the Mach-e.
Where does it display a message on the exterior of the vehicle that the vehicle isn’t to be disturbed because it’s being left running? I thought that was a key requirement for pet mode? What’s the difference between teslas “dog mode” and leaving the car running with the doors locked?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Where does it display a message on the exterior of the vehicle that the vehicle isn’t to be disturbed because it’s being left running? I thought that was a key requirement for pet mode? What’s the difference between teslas “dog mode” and leaving the car running with the doors locked?
It‘s on the center screen.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Why “Pet Mode”? 1641060685050

Bblattz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME GT Rapid Red
Country flag
Once you have pet mode its very hard to understand why other manufacturers don't. Its a simple example of how to delight your customers with little to no cost (just software). In reality its no different than remote starting your vehicle with climate on but the added benefit is screen notification as well as the ability to pair with sentry mode for added security (so no one steals your pup). Very practical when you're out on errands or a road trip and you need to run into shop for a couple minutes where dogs aren't allowed. Def more responsible than tying your dog up outside unattended or leaving in hot car.

Now granted I did this on my previous ICE via remote start app which I could monitor and adjust temp (and parked out of way so no one goes by my car) but our Tesla makes execution seamless. Little disappointed my MME GT won't come with some of these simple delight features...

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I would never consider locking my pet inside a car parked out here in the desert. That is just cruel. Even if the A/C was running, people would break the glass to save the animal. Most everyone here has tinted windows so they will see the animal trapped inside but probably ignore the screen.

Just guessing though. Maybe people are smarter than I give them credit for. But then again.....I tell people the car is fully electric and they are still expecting to see an engine when I pop the hood so I dunno....???

Bblattz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME GT Rapid Red
Country flag
I would never consider locking my pet inside a car parked out here in the desert. That is just cruel. Even if the A/C was running, people would break the glass to save the animal. Most everyone here has tinted windows so they will see the animal trapped inside but probably ignore the screen.

Just guessing though. Maybe people are smarter than I give them credit for. But then again.....I tell people the car is fully electric and they are still expecting to see an engine when I pop the hood so I dunno....???
But if you had to what would you do instead...tie them up outside? Seems like a simple and very smart solution. I never intentionally plan to do it but when we've had to for a few minutes its good to know they're safe and monitored by sentry mode...so id strongly disagree with your view but thats ok. You can't miss the screen fyi

Bblattz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME GT Rapid Red
Country flag
But if you had to what would you do instead...tie them up outside? Seems like a simple and very smart solution. I never intentionally plan to do it but when we've had to for a few minutes its good to know they're safe and monitored by sentry mode...so id strongly disagree with your view but thats ok. You can't miss the screen fyi
Forgot to mention that you'll also receive a notification if someone touches the door handle so you can run out and yell at the Karen touching your car lol

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
Yes people would like this so they do not come back to police /fire department breaking into their cars to free stranded pets that are left alone in cars in high temperatures. So Tesla does this and I think it is a good thing to have if you are a pet owner cause it will allow you to keep all windows rolled up with the car controlling the in cabin temp but using the AC to keep the temperature at the appropriate temp for the animals in the car.

Brutakus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Select AWD Comfort/Tech Package
Country flag
The issue with how the motion sensors work now is even if you press the button to turn the sensors off when your car shuts off, it doesn't actually shut them off. Any movement will set off the car alarms and send you a notification on your phone.

I've had my dog in the car and was running into pickup my food and EVERY time my dog shifted his weight, the car alarm went off. I was inside about 3 minutes and he set off the alarm twice and again as I was walking to the car. Just from turning himself around in the trunk.

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
Pet mode would be amazing. I hope that it happens.

Heck, at this point, I'd suffice with ford simply fixing the bug that won't let me turn off the interior motion sensors. It's extremely annoying to travel with a pet then when I run inside a rest area to use the bathroom for 3 minutes only to come outside to my car alarm blaring away because my dog moved.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Not sure. Has never come up. If I was in that situation then I take my pet with me. I think it is actually illegal to leave a pet in the vehicle here. Maybe because it gets so hot here. Other states may allow it though. If you travel to AZ with your pet during the summer then bring paw protection for their feet and don't leave them in a parked car. Incredibly dangerous. Just saying....
Sponsored