JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e Premium AWD extended range
Country flag
My house has 3wire 240v lines going to where I used to have an outlet for my stove. Real easy to use that line for outside receptacle. Does anyone know why Ford requires the neutral wire? Anyone know a Mach e engineer because the service dept at the dealer I'm taking delivery is clueless. Very nice, excited for my pony to arrive but clueless
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I don't think they actually do, but as has been argued to death in the "installing a charger" thread the electrical code is why the extra wire is required to the nema 14-50 outlet. If you hardwire a charger, those don't actually have a line for the neutral (4th wire). If you are buying a plugin charger, many have the option for a 6-50 plug which does not have the neutral either.

If the outlet is going outdoors, I would suggest NOT using the included mobile charger and putting in a hardwired one just for the sake of weatherproofing. In my case I split the difference - the plugin charger is inside my garage but I ran the j1772 through the wall to the outside where I park my car. I bought an RV style cover to weatherseal and improve the look: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017KWL4I...colid=WSZPVHRZ6QB0&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
My house has 3wire 240v lines going to where I used to have an outlet for my stove. Real easy to use that line for outside receptacle. Does anyone know why Ford requires the neutral wire? Anyone know a Mach e engineer because the service dept at the dealer I'm taking delivery is clueless. Very nice, excited for my pony to arrive but clueless
There are some chargers like the Tesla that require a neutral. I was under the impression you didnt need the neutral for the Ford? In any case it is to balance out any voltage fluctuations. The EVSE's are protected and should not need the neutral. If you are talking about the portable charger it may be because you have the option of plugging it into a 120 and they designed it requiring the neutral. This would suck though cause i was not planning for a neutral to be passed.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
In any case it is to balance out any voltage fluctuations.
That is not true. The neutral allows the device to draw 120V if needed. It is unknown if the mobile charger needs that, but most EVSE (chargepoint, clippercreek, grizzl-e) do not.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That is not true. The neutral allows the device to draw 120V if needed. It is unknown if the mobile charger needs that, but most EVSE (chargepoint, clippercreek, grizzl-e) do not.
Yes if there is undervoltage it draws 120 to compensate. If there is overvoltage it sends it back. Therefore balancing any voltage fluctuations.

sjaj14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F250, Mach e (hopefully soon!).
Occupation
IT
Country flag
An appliance such as a clothes dryer actually has a mix of 220v and 110v circuits. Although the 220v circuit doesn't need a neutral wire to work, the 110v circuit does need the neutral (white) wire
Most appliances now, such as a stove actually has a mix of 220v and 110v circuits. Although the 220v circuit doesn't need a neutral wire to work, the 110v circuit does need the neutral (white) wire, 110 would be for clock, stove light, etc. In the case of the MME, there could be internal circuitry to the charger that needs 110

sjaj14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F250, Mach e (hopefully soon!).
Occupation
IT
Country flag
An appliance such as a clothes dryer actually has a mix of 220v and 110v circuits. Although the 220v circuit doesn't need a neutral wire to work, the 110v circuit does need the neutral (white) wire
Most appliances now, such as a stove actually has a mix of 220v and 110v circuits. Although the 220v circuit doesn't need a neutral wire to work, the 110v circuit does need the neutral (white) wire, 110 would be for clock, stove light, etc. In the case of the MME, there could be internal circuitry to the charger that needs 110
Sheesh, don't know why it posted like that, tried to delete the first reply I typed...?‍♂

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Others have already said it - but I'll chime in to agree. There are many EVSE's available with 6-50 plugs. Fords mobile charger is not one of them. So if you're wanting to use an existing 50A 3-wire circuit, keep the Ford Mobile Charger as a 120V backup in the car and purchase an aftermarket for your use. Stationary low-cost option is the Grizzl-E, I have one and it works very well and is made in Canada.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes if there is undervoltage it draws 120 to compensate. If there is overvoltage it sends it back. Therefore balancing any voltage fluctuations.
I am not going to argue with you because it doesn't matter in this context, but your interpretation is incorrect.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
correct this is the second purpose of the neutral. The 2 hots or black switch between each other providing 120v which will give 240v. If the second hot is not required it uses the neutral as a return.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Neutral wires only exist in AC power; DC power consists of a positive, a negative, and a ground. AC power, on the other hand, have "hot" wires (which come in three phases), a neutral, and a ground. It's the neutral wire that allows for the current to alternate, since the neutral wire acts as the roadway back to power source.

The neutral wire is often confused with ground wire, but in reality, they serve two distinct purposes. Neutral wires carry currents back to power source to better control and regulate voltage. Its overall purpose is to serve as a path to return energy.
https://www.creativesafetysupply.com/articles/neutral-wire-color/

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Besides if you ever get a large RV with two air conditioners that 14-50 would come in really handy ;)

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Neutral wires only exist in AC power; DC power consists of a positive, a negative, and a ground. AC power, on the other hand, have "hot" wires (which come in three phases), a neutral, and a ground. It's the neutral wire that allows for the current to alternate, since the neutral wire acts as the roadway back to power source.

https://www.creativesafetysupply.com/articles/neutral-wire-color/
That article is describing a 3-phase system, which isn't relevant here.