Why are OTA updates selective for certain vehicles?

musgang

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E California Route 1
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
I have owned my Mach E for a month and haven’t received any updates. Seems ford is pushing updates selectively to certain VIN’s.

A lot of bug fixes and features promised over the past year has been through OTA and ford seems to not be prioritizing these and haven’t figured out a way to push updates to all vehicles either.

For example;

1. Where is the frunk release feature from the app or the touchscreen?

2. When my vehicle is locked away, why is the fordpass app not giving me the current status of the vehicle? I recently went on a trip and dropped the vehicle off to a valet, I was looking at the fordpass app to check the vehicle status and couldn't find any useful info around this there.

3. Battery charging rate on the dash screen?

I am not even looking for features like Sentry mode or Bluecruise. I want day to day simple features like above implemented and delivered.

Since I have owned this for just a month, its alright but the vehicle has been out for more than a year and still basic features such as these has not been made available to all.
Sponsored

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
First deliverys were BARELY in 2020 (like 12/30/20) so it's only been out 6 months.

OTAs were announced to start about 6 months after vehicles started to deliver so right about now.

1. Front hood release announced for about September 2021, personally I doubt they will make it in time, but who knows.

2. Update 1.4.0 sort of addresses this, can send updates on the status of the doors. More functionality perhaps in progress, who knows.

3. ?

As far as why some vehicles get an OTA earlier there are a few reasons,

Later builds have some of the updates supplied at build.

OTAs rolled out to allow unanticipated bugs time to get caught before pushing to everyone.

Some updates require different vehicle states (parked, plugged in, etc). So they may be waiting for the right opportunity to update.