Why are the UK range estimates so much better then US/EPA?

theblueone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Audi e-tron
Country flag
I've been mainlining video reviews since the embargo lifted this morning, and one thing that I've noticed over and over again is that British reviewers are consistently mentioning a range that's about 25% higher than the American numbers. The most relevant example to me is the AWD extended range (4X) configuration, which has an EPA rating of 270 miles. In the UK reviews, it's consistently mentioned by multiple sources as having a range of 335 miles.

That's not a miles-to-km conversion error, and it doesn't match up with counting the full 99kwh battery capacity instead of the software-limited 88kwh. The other MME configurations also have similarly inflated ranges. What gives? Why can't I have that extra 55 miles? Should I make sure to only charge my car using certified British electrons?

But seriously, any insight into the reason behind this discrepancy would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

SteveUk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache with crap keys
Country flag
They use a different testing method.

I am of the opinion that uk customers will be wiser to use the US values as they are more realistic. The UK site even has 379 as the max range! Utter fiction !

PaulD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Jaguar XK, Peugeot Bipper Tepee
Occupation
Semi retired management consultant
Country flag
Let us be clear the 379 miles is not a Ford UK figure it is the estimated maximum mileage when tested under the Worldwide harmonised light vehicle test procedure adopted by the EU and other nations to compare economy and emissions of cars. It is a comparator test under a set of driving conditions as is EPA. Albeit under different conditions.
You should not expect real world range to mirror the test figures unless miraculously you drove at the same speed, inclination, wind and temperature condition, and accelerated and braked as the laboratory test.
Different makes of cars might perform before better under one test procedure than the other if the car is better suited to that test and one test procedure maybe more geared to high speed journeys and one to more local driving.
I would look at both test figures, and consider your own driving pattern and the weather conditions in which you typically drive and make your own informed judgment.
Something you would need to do if considering any car tested under EPA and WLTP procedures.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I assumed part of the reason is UK drivers don't drive as fast and as recklessly as we do here in the U.S. When I was there last year, the speeds were in the 30-50 mph range. Here in the metro Phoenix area, I drive 70 mph on the freeways (65 mph limit) and I get passed by cars and trucks like I am in a video game. I almost literally get run over sometimes. I didn't have that same experience when I was in London or southern UK.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
I've been mainlining video reviews since the embargo lifted this morning, and one thing that I've noticed over and over again is that British reviewers are consistently mentioning a range that's about 25% higher than the American numbers. The most relevant example to me is the AWD extended range (4X) configuration, which has an EPA rating of 270 miles. In the UK reviews, it's consistently mentioned by multiple sources as having a range of 335 miles.

That's not a miles-to-km conversion error, and it doesn't match up with counting the full 99kwh battery capacity instead of the software-limited 88kwh. The other MME configurations also have similarly inflated ranges. What gives? Why can't I have that extra 55 miles? Should I make sure to only charge my car using certified British electrons?

But seriously, any insight into the reason behind this discrepancy would be greatly appreciated.
All the roads in the UK are downhill.
Sponsored