Why aren't Ford dealers required to have fast chargers?

delacruz.c5d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium eAWD Extended Battery
Occupation
Horrible Golfer that can reboot a computer
Country flag
Dealer is supposed to charge it to 100%. You paid for a full charge.
Agreed. When I took delivery of mine, it was 100% charged when I got in it. Just like a full tank of gas.

DC fast charging is EXTREMELY expensive. The equipment starts in the 5 figure range, and it needs frickin' three phase power, which is nuts.

I think that KIA/Hyundai are requiring the certified EV6/Ioniq5 dealers to have DC Fast chargers. My buddy that is connected to a few dealerships told me that they had to put in a whole different panel for the DC Fast charger in the Kia dealership. Unreal. And I'm betting that those DCFCs that they are putting in are "probably" not the 800V variety that can do a 70%-80% charge in 18 minutes...but I could be wrong.

Either way, I work in IT. Anything over 24V scares the livin' bejeezus outta me. No thank you. I'm surprised that I can handle the EVSE cable without breaking into a sweat...

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have seen several dealerships in the Phoenix area with low end DC chargers. They are usually 24kw units tht actually run on 240V. There is one Ford dealer in Wickenburg that has one and the public can use it. A real DC charger of 50kw or more requires a 480V transformer, that is expensive. There is a new 115kw unit in Goodyear at a GMC dealership that is selling Hummers.

delacruz.c5d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Here's a really good example of how much electricity is required for DCFC. This is a bit of a crazy example, but this is a EA DCFC in a Walmart parking lot in WI:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Why aren't Ford dealers required to have fast chargers? 1643593284921

The station has 4 CSS plugs. Look at the size of the transformers, service, etc. to the SW in the picture. I'm sure it makes a pleasant humming sound too...

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I think it is worth remembering, these are still early days in terms of EV adoption. In 10 years, you’d probably pass a handful of DCFC stations between any given place and the nearest Ford dealer.

DCFC costs way too much for this to only be useful to the dealer for next few years before it starts gathering dust.

Cptmorgemaker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Edge St, 2021 Lincoln Aviator BL GT
Occupation
Electrical
Country flag
I think it'll be a smart business move for Ford. Just add chargers at all. Dealerships. Ford could kick the dealer some cash and also there's this big thing call government subsidies which are about the only thing pushing EVs I thought it would be a great business move to get you into the dealership and knowing that every dealership would have one. That's awesome as there's so many dealerships being there's not a single charger by me. There's about 6 to 8 dealerships near me.

agdad

Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Edge
Country flag
The dealership Ive ordered from has 2 in front and 1 in back by the vehicle prep area ! But the gate is closed and locked at 7pm

val8728

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape
Occupation
sw Eng
Country flag
Probably because when they signed up the dealership it wasn't a requirement. But you'd think they would help at least to verify customer charging problems. Ford should probably cut a deal a deal with their dealers and partially cover the cost.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Yeah, I have ALL the apps. Hwy 29 from Saint Paul to Green Bay is a EV dead zone. Wausau WI is about half way and has NOTHING, fast outside of Tesla.
240v is about as good as it gets. Green Bay is also empty for fast chagers, luckily I can stay overnight and get back to fully charged.
As has been pointed out, your car should be at 100% when you pick it up. Remind your dealer that you need that charge.

Also be sure to use both FordPass and A Better Route Planner for pre trip planning. Keep in mind that the fastest route may not be the shortest. If there’s a route to Green Bay with DCFC that is a bit longer, that may be worth your while. In the unlikely event you haven’t already done so, check the EA charging stations along all routes towards your destination. You’ll have at least 250 kWh in charging available as part of your purchase.

The lack of chargers is not as simple as it might sound. Not all Ford dealers are EV dealers. If they’re not, they don’t have to have any EVSE, let alone a DCFC.

DCFC's at Chevy dealers are about 50kW...not exactly fast.
Not only that, some are below 30 kW. Further, the cost of DCFC stations for hardware and installation can easily reach into six figures. Not cheap is an understatement.

Last edited:

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Agreed. When I took delivery of mine, it was 100% charged when I got in it. Just like a full tank of gas.

DC fast charging is EXTREMELY expensive. The equipment starts in the 5 figure range, and it needs frickin' three phase power, which is nuts.

I think that KIA/Hyundai are requiring the certified EV6/Ioniq5 dealers to have DC Fast chargers. My buddy that is connected to a few dealerships told me that they had to put in a whole different panel for the DC Fast charger in the Kia dealership. Unreal. And I'm betting that those DCFCs that they are putting in are "probably" not the 800V variety that can do a 70%-80% charge in 18 minutes...but I could be wrong.

Either way, I work in IT. Anything over 24V scares the livin' bejeezus outta me. No thank you. I'm surprised that I can handle the EVSE cable without breaking into a sweat...
Yep. I design DCFC projects for a living. 480V 3-phase at a minimum, and many we run 4 or 12kV service from the utility. You start getting more than a few DCFC units and the cost of the unit isn’t even the expensive part. The electrical switchgear and transformers alone can run half a million, plus any upgrades the utility has to do on their lines.

delacruz.c5d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yep. I design DCFC projects for a living. 480V 3-phase at a minimum, and many we run 4 or 12kV service from the utility. You start getting more than a few DCFC units and the cost of the unit isn’t even the expensive part. The electrical switchgear and transformers alone can run half a million, plus any upgrades the utility has to do on their lines.
OMG...that's terrifying. I'll stick to my wimpy UTP cat6 copper and fiber optic cables and transceivers, ThankYouVeryMuch.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I just punched in St. Paul -> Greenbay route (I just did center of town since I don't have any addresses) into ABRP.

Make sure you use the car's in-car nav system to generate your route home. When any route exceeds the car's range it will automatically add charging stops.

There are two Electrify America DC Fast Chargers en-route. In Appleton there is a 24kW charger ... that's not great ... but it's faster than a level 2 AC charger -- especially since most public level 2 AC chargers are not at the 48 amp level that the car supports.

Make sure the car is fully charged and warm before departing. My dealer (I picked up my car a year ago -- next week) kept my car inside in a service bay ... plugged in. If your dealer does that for you then it'll really help the range in the winter cold.

Charging will be a little slower in extreme cold. ALSO... if the batteries get too cold, when you plug in to charge it will divert a lot of energy to the battery heaters ... rather than to charging. This is normal. So don't panic if it doesn't seem like the car is charging very fast at first.

I primarily use seat heater and steering wheel heater ... and set the cabin temp to 65°. But ... dressed for winter ... 65 is actually pretty warm when for winter.

If you are worried about range DO NOT SPEED. Every 5 mph above 50 mph costs something like an extra 7% energy (this isn't just an EV thing ... it's true of ICE cars.)

joes723

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 GTPE IBSM "LITHEUM"
Country flag
yes!!!!!! Love this!!!! People really underestimate the reality that, if the grid/utility doesn’t have the infrastructure in place, you can’t just say “all dealerships must have…”. If there’s no way to deliver the actual power to said charging stations, where’s the incentive for anyone to add a charging station. This is why public/private investments in electric infrastructure is one of the most important initiatives of this time in order to get full EV adoption across America. ??????

OP
OP
SaintPaulMustangMach-E_GT

SaintPaulMustangMach-E_GT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
IT Manager
Country flag
I'm not saying that the little dealerships should be force to do this on their own. Just the opposite, Ford should be subsidizing this. Just like Tesla did, the business model worked out for them.

Probably because when they signed up the dealership it wasn't a requirement. But you'd think they would help at least to verify customer charging problems. Ford should probably cut a deal a deal with their dealers and partially cover the cost.

iankellogg

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES 300h, Red Mach E XR AWD
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
DCFC's at Chevy dealers are about 50kW...not exactly fast.
don't discount 50kw chargers
thats still an 60% charge in an hour. Thats still way way way better than a 12KW L2 50A charger or a 7kW 30A L2.
Sponsored