Why aren't Ford dealers required to have fast chargers?

ElectrifyCLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT- Dark Matter Grey
Country flag
NC gave out grants for $73k for people to install 62.5kW DCFC locations. They are Chargepoint locations and are very reliable and cheaply priced. They're not the best for road trips, but EA coverage is pretty good on major corridors around here. The biggest issue with the program is they only issue grants for 1 charger at a location. As EVs grow in their marketshare, these single locations will become tough to trust given there's only one plug and one location.

~73k sounds like a hefty investment for a dealer, not to mention that it'll be primarily unusable during off hours with gates closed and locked, etc. The magic of superchargers is that they are perfectly positioned along distance oriented routes, not just their prevalence.
Sponsored

delacruz.c5d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium eAWD Extended Battery
Occupation
Horrible Golfer that can reboot a computer
Country flag
Looks like Superchargers opened up to more countries today. Bjorn (good channel) has one of the first videos showing the experience with the app and cost, etc. Good stuff.

Bjorn Supercharging Non-Tesla

The app experience is around the 4 min mark if you are interested.
NICE! This will help out immensely on road trips. In my area of the woods, the Tesla Supercharging network is built out much better than any other network. I know that it will take some time, but it will be nice.

Now...to find a nice quality TelsaSC to J1772 CSS adapter than can handle 150kW...

Last edited:

delacruz.c5d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium eAWD Extended Battery
Occupation
Horrible Golfer that can reboot a computer
Country flag

tomterky

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Mustang Pony Edition Convertible; 2021 Mach E
Country flag
Okay okay, I'm not even yet a newbie. Still waiting for delivery and researching how to get outside of my metro bubble. But I can't imagine my wife sitting still while we wait for an hour to refill.....
Just not a good option.

300 mile trip in the winter across largely rural Wisconsin. Walmart Wausau and anything in Green Bay. Today there's nothing literally nothing fast. Now Tesla was the locations if everything created dc charging stations

No they don't have dealerships but they do have proprietary charging stations in locations like Wausa WI. Strange that Tesla can have charging stations and Ford and others need the US government to make them for them. And what ever happened to Ford getting access to Tesla stations, I heard that was coming, and then a year went by and nothing.
Good Luck getting back to Minnesota without having to stop at least 3 times. Hope for warm temperatures. With a GT, you're supposed to get 270...however, with the cold, I bet you get maybe 150. Is this your first EV? You'll want to drop the hammer a couple times which sucks even more juice up. I've had my MME since last February 9th, over 12000 miles on it now and the cold is the worst enemy. I'm supposed to get 211, I've had it as high as 250 range in summer with 70 degree temps. But winter and 22 below, I've had it as low as 120 miles range. Range anxiety is real. Safe Travels and enjoy your new Pony!!

alangant

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GTPE Rapid Red (ordered 10/22/21)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I can’t remember who it’s attributed to, but the one I remember: “The nice thing about standards is that there’s so many to choose from!”
"Standards aren't."

mccdeuce

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW e-Golf, 2022 MME Cal RT1 IBSM
Country flag
Having any form of easy access for charging at dealers is pretty useless to me. (LVL 2 or 3) I just dont want to take my drive to a dealer! I would much rather have a charger at a cafe. Coffee tasty treat and somewhere warm to read the news for 30 min.

Sitting at a dealership just doesn't interest me - even when I want to buy a car. I was really hoping Ford would have direct to consumer shops just like Tesla and get rid of the dealers who often know little to nothing about EVs even when certified.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If chevy dealers can do it there is no reason why ford can't do it.
It's not that they "can't", it's more that it usually doesn't make business sense.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There absolutely is a business case. I'm not saying they should be free but if you don't have chargers in non-urban areas why would 40% of Americans ever buy EV's. That argument makes no sense.
There may be a business case for DCFC in the area, but that doesn't mean that the dealership is the one that needs to install it.

Plus the dealership doesn't care whether someone chooses an EV or an ICE. They just want people buying vehicles.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
NICE! This will help out immensely on road trips. In my area of the woods, the Tesla Supercharging network is built out much better than any other network. I know that it will take some time, but it will be nice.

Now...to find a nice quality TelsaSC to J1772 CSS adapter than can handle 150kW...
Where Tesla opens SCs to CCS, they add a CCS cable and handle to the charger.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm not saying that the little dealerships should be force to do this on their own. Just the opposite, Ford should be subsidizing this. Just like Tesla did, the business model worked out for them.
Tesla started many years earlier, when there was almost no charging infrastructure at all, and no one else to share it with. They really had no choice but to spend a fortune on their own network if they wanted to sell EVs in volume. And since they didn't have ICE sales to fall back on, they threw $billions at it.

But Ford is in a completely different position coming in years later. First, there's a CCS standard now that all manufacturers other than Tesla use. So it's not Ford alone, it's all non-Tesla EVs. Ford would just be helping it's competitors if they built a CCS network. Second, there's Electrify America and EVgo and ChargePoint and lots of others (including state chargers in many cases) now that didn't exist when Tesla started. It makes far more sense to utilize those 3rd party networks instead, just like the gas station model.

Sam James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 ID.4, 11 Escape, 22 Lightning (?), 22 MME (?)
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
NC gave out grants for $73k for people to install 62.5kW DCFC locations. They are Chargepoint locations and are very reliable and cheaply priced. They're not the best for road trips, but EA coverage is pretty good on major corridors around here. The biggest issue with the program is they only issue grants for 1 charger at a location. As EVs grow in their marketshare, these single locations will become tough to trust given there's only one plug and one location.

~73k sounds like a hefty investment for a dealer, not to mention that it'll be primarily unusable during off hours with gates closed and locked, etc. The magic of superchargers is that they are perfectly positioned along distance oriented routes, not just their prevalence.
Our VW/Porsche dealer doesn't gate their lot and makes their 50kW available 24/7. Our dealer has the capability to charge the user, but they've never activated that. A dealer could always keep their charger(s) outside of the gated area if they wanted them to be available 24/7. I'm hoping that's what the Chevy dealer I referred to earlier will do.

I don't think a dealer needs to offer complimentary charging, but its a HUGE motivator for me to keep coming back there. They've more than made their losses on my charging back on accessories alone. Even if they charged, it would still be nice to have coming back into town if I really needed a top-off.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Harley wanted people in their stores buying accessories and clothes. It cost the dealers upward of $60,000.00 Each. Ford is smart.
Sponsored