Why big wheels are a bad idea on electric cars - range impact!

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
The route 1's wheels are 18", not 19". Also, if you look closely at how they're molded, they wouldn't line up properly with the spokes of the premium's wheels.
Sorry -- I meant to refer to these ones, the 19" on the Select with the comfort/appearance package.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Why big wheels are a bad idea on electric cars - range impact! Screenshot_20210125-010104
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Sorry -- I meant to refer to these ones, the 19" on the Select with the comfort/appearance package.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Why big wheels are a bad idea on electric cars - range impact! Screenshot_20210125-010104
If you look at the premium wheels, the raised "spoke" extends further into the hub than those covers would allow, so I don't think those would fit either.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
If you look at the premium wheels, the raised "spoke" extends further into the hub than those covers would allow, so I don't think those would fit either.
You're probably right, unless the covers would simply clip onto the outside of the wheels in either case.
It would stick out past the face of the wheel though, which would look weird, and wouldn't be great for aero.

Guess I'll have to just buy the selects if I wanted the aero cover.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Why big wheels are a bad idea on electric cars - range impact! PXL_20201107_172236718

Thevanin

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'09 Ford Focus, '78 Cadillac DeVille
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
It might just take a while for the aftermarket to come up with something. Looks like there's several aftermarket options for Teslas... hopefully we get the same treatment.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I'm working with this author on a story, he sent me this when I mentioned the rougher than necessary ride. A pet peev is the rediculous look of wagon wheels/rubber bands on today's cars. Come to my house I'll show you what it felt like in 1966 to ride on comfortable tires, up until about 20 years ago.

https://bestride.com/news/technology/are-low-profile-tires-ruining-your-ride
Sponsored