Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, 2022 Bronco 2D SAS, 1985.5 Mustang SVO
Country flag
If Ford recommends to let the batteries cool down before charging (For longevity), it would be nice if they had a delay setting to start charging after it's plugged it for home charging.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Why can't we set a delay charge time? Screenshot_20210219-205034
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
You can absolutely do that. You can schedule it to wait to charge until a particular time of day, such as after 11pm when your rates go down.

Reactions: ARK
OP
OP
Metal_Horses

Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You can absolutely do that. You can schedule it to wait to charge until a particular time of day, such as after 11pm when your rates go down.
I'm solely talking about a delay from coming home and when it starts charging.

If I come home at 11:05 pm and plug in, it'll start charging without letting the battery cool down.

Eosin

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium

If I come home at 11:05 pm and plug in, it'll start charging without letting the battery cool down.
It won't start charging when you plug it in at 11 pm if you program it to start charging at midnight, 1am, or any other time.

I get what you mean though. You are saying that on nights you come home later, say after whatever arbitrary time your charging schedule is set to start, it will charge as soon as you plug it in.

Your best bet is to use a better home charger. There are many good chargers, or EVSEs, that have this feature built in.

OP
OP
Metal_Horses

Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Your best bet is to use a better home charger. There are many good chargers, or EVSEs, that have this feature built in.
Yeah, upgrading from my 8 year old, 25 amp charger sounds like the answer. Just didn't want to spend the money for both the charger and the upgraded wiring in my wall

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

Yes, that is true. I'll defer to the battery expert, but I'd like to offer an opinion: if most of the time you are home and plugged in before the start time, those few times you come home late probably will make very little difference in the lifespan of your battery.

Again as a layman I would suggest that you're worrying about something that won't make that much difference in the end. The battery management system's job is to keep the battery as cozy as possible while charging, and suspect that if the pack as too warm the BMS will take measures to ensure the battery isn't damaged.

OP
OP
Metal_Horses

Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, that is true. I'll defer to the battery expert, but I'd like to offer an opinion: if most of the time you are home and plugged in before the start time, those few times you come home late probably will make very little difference in the lifespan of your battery.

Again as a layman I would suggest that you're worrying about something that won't make that much difference in the end. The battery management system's job is to keep the battery as cozy as possible while charging, and suspect that if the pack as too warm the BMS will take measures to ensure the battery isn't damaged.
Thanks, I appreciate your input. Today is the 1 week mark for ownership so I'm just getting used to everything. I think what in going to do is set a start time window later in the evening. If I get home at 5pm or 9pm, I'll put it in but not start charging until 11pm.

If I get home at 6pm, I'll manually start charging an hour or so later. The 11pm "Safety net" will start charging for when I forget to manually start it.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Thanks, I appreciate your input. Today is the 1 week mark for ownership so I'm just getting used to everything. I think what in going to do is set a start time window later in the evening. If I get home at 5pm or 9pm, I'll put it in but not start charging until 11pm.

If I get home at 6pm, I'll manually start charging an hour or so later. The 11pm "Safety net" will start charging for when I forget to manually start it.
How far is your daily commute and how fast is your charger? In most use cases you car will charge in just a few hours.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
If you put a late start charge time for every day, you won’t have to think about it, that will be your default. You’d only have to think about it and alter it if there were a day where you came home empty and were going to leave early the next morning and needed a full charge.
Sponsored