Why did they make it with steel and not aluminium?

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
They could have saved a lot of weight. Why didn't they use aluminium (aluminum in USA I think)?
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
They could have saved a lot of weight. Why didn't they use aluminium (aluminum in USA I think)?
Good question. I think cost and repair cost is part of it. It's an interesting mix as some panels are steel, some aluminum, and some plastic exterior.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I think cost and repair cost is part of it
I think that's the major part of it. Hopefully my insurance rates reflect the repairability of the MME vs an aluminum Tesla

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I was wondering that as well. I don't think the math works with such a limited run of vehicles. It's pretty expensive to make an aluminum vehicle body so there would need to be a very large production run to justify the costs. Like say....F-150 numbers. :)

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Good question. I think cost and repair cost is part of it. It's an interesting mix as some panels are steel, some aluminum, and some plastic exterior.
On the insurance rate thread, it's stated as a fact that aluminum Tesla bodies are extremely difficult to repair compared to steel bodies.

On the other hand, there's aluminum in the F-150 now as was mentioned so... ?‍♂

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
The cost. The Ford heavy-duty truck, lincoln navigator, and expedition are all-aluminum body.
The consumables are very expensive.
The different rivets, adhesive, flow drill screws, add to the cost. The mache then would cost about 5,000 more each.

There are so many different rivet sizes used, so it plays a big part in cost.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Aluminum is used so you can make CAFE. The cost of aluminum is offset by the cost of developing even more exotic ICE powertrains, and the weight difference increases towing/cargo weight capacity. No rusting is just a bonus.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
And contrary to popular beliefs the Tesla is not all aluminium. Its a mix of Aluminium and steel

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
That's
Al - lou - min - nee - um = aluminum
for those on the west side of the pond.

Cheers from the colonies.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
I don't think aluminum is all that much lighter than some types of steel, and mass isn't a huge deal with BEVs because of regen. For BEVs aero is a big factor even at slow speeds whereas mass isn't nearly as important.

It always comes down to many factors, including of course cost, both in raw materials and ease of manufacture. What we see these days is a mix of materials, with each material the best for the application.

I think Musk has said that the steel in the Model 3 will last 100 years. Can't say that is correct but I won't be around to argue. :oops:

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
I don't think aluminum is all that much lighter than some types of steel, and mass isn't a huge deal with BEVs because of regen. For BEVs aero is a big factor even at slow speeds whereas mass isn't nearly as important.

It always comes down to many factors, including of course cost, both in raw materials and ease of manufacture. What we see these days is a mix of materials, with each material the best for the application.

I think Musk has said that the steel in the Model 3 will last 100 years. Can't say that is correct but I won't be around to argue. :oops:
Steel is certainly easier to stamp and assemble, plus aluminum has a short shelf life. You can't let aluminum age too long, because it becomes too hard to stamp when it oxidizes enough.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
The thing with aluminum builds is you can't have too many different design lines. The more you try to make it flashy the more it has chances to have stress cracks.

The repair also is massive. A lot of the parts can't be prepared and have to be scrapped. Then the cost goes way up. Seen too much of this first hand.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
And i also believe Aluminium is harder to paint, case and point Tesla's paint issues

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
The thing with aluminum builds is you can't have too many different design lines. The more you try to make it flashy the more it has chances to have stress cracks.

The repair also is massive. A lot of the parts can't be prepared and have to be scrapped. Then the cost goes way up. Seen too much of this first hand.
Aluminum ages more like wine than steel does. Aluminum oxide is stronger/harder than aluminum. Iron oxide (rust) is much weaker than steel. As Tru said, stamping 3 month old aluminum coil will produce cracked panels. It doesn't want to flow anymore. Too hard.

Your 5 year old truck body is actually stronger than your new truck body...