one5460

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MazdaSpeed 3
Country flag
But, is that only if you option the $30K(!) carbon ceramic brake upgrade? Or do all Plaids get the new top speed? And that is still way short of 200mph.
It was part of a software update that included 'Track Mode'. It went out to all Plaids.
Sponsored

SpeedRacer72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E RWD select, 2018 Mustang
Country flag
Compared to my Mustangs in the past, it seems EV's in general have poor top speed EXCEPT Tesla, why ?

Tesla Model 3 RWD base. 139 mph
Tesla Model S 162 mph
Mach-E Select/Premium 112 mph
Mach- E GT 124 mph
Chevrolet Bolt EV 2LT 90 mph
Nissan Leaf Plus 98 mph
Mini Cooper SE 93 mph
Kona Electric 103 mph
Ioniq 5 115 mph

2007 Mustang GT 149 mph
2021 Mustang GT 159 mph

MME RWD select at top speed of 113 MPH

IMG_2877.jpg

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
Single speed transmission is the easy answer. Even electric motors have a max safe RPM.

The Chevy Volt has a smart transaxle design that allows the the traction motor to switch from 1:1 to 1:2 ratio at highway speeds.
I'm glad the Ford engineers didn't put a transmission in the MME. One less component to break down on you.

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
Does not explain why Tesla retains better high speed than others including base Model 3 rwd
Someone tweaked a MME for a charity auction and claimed they got it to go 200mph. So the car's motor likely has the capability if you apply enough current.

However, I would not attempt to go 200mph in a MME unless I wanted to kill myself. The car's suspension is not designed to go at those speeds and the car would be wildly unstable. I would not attempt those sorts of speeds unless I was in something like a Ford GT or a Ferrari.

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
On Hwy 401 near Toronto traffic is already 95 mph average at times so you think if passing that you only need 97 mph ? Never suggested staying at 115 mph but get by as quick as possible and back in your own lane
I guess we are not as fast as our Canadian brethren, but I feel pretty comfortable driving an MME at about 80mph. 90 for short bursts if I'm passing at high speed (I rarely ever do this). But man... I would not want to take the car at 100mph on standard US Interstate traffic. I would not trust the steering at that speed. Maybe on the GTPE, but not my premium.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Someone tweaked a MME for a charity auction and claimed they got it to go 200mph. So the car's motor likely has the capability if you apply enough current.

However, I would not attempt to go 200mph in a MME unless I wanted to kill myself. The car's suspension is not designed to go at those speeds and the car would be wildly unstable. I would not attempt those sorts of speeds unless I was in something like a Ford GT or a Ferrari.
“Hope to hit 200 mph.”

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/ford-mustang-mach-e-200-mph-fights-cancer/

Have they actually accomplished any speed modifications though? I am still hoping to hear any updates on that car. If they can make it faster, they can “fix” The 5 second limit.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I do not know how whether they are induction or permanent magnet affects them in automotive use. What are advantages and cons of each design?
Induction motors can be turned off, so that you can go from AWD to FWD or RWD without needing a clutch. Usually only the front or rear motors are induction, the other drive axle is PM. Actually I believe the MME has an induction motor on the front, and it turns off when not accelerating to improve efficiency. There was an old thread where someone discovered this using ODB data.

Mancini789

First Name
Mancini
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No have
Occupation
freelance
Country flag
Single speed transmission is the easy answer. Even electric motors have a max safe RPM.

The Chevy Volt has a smart transaxle design that allows the the traction motor to switch from 1:1 to 1:2 ratio at highway speeds.
Awesome answer.... thanks for this