Why do you buy an expensive wall charger unit for home when Ford gives you a 14-50 plug?

troublebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium EXT AWD, Infinite Blue
Occupation
Industrial Design & Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
I get discounted charging from midnight to 3am every night, where I only pay the 4 cents/kwh delivery charge from the utility but 0 cents from the reseller. Usually my all-in rate is closer to 13 cents/kwh. That's good for ~100 miles for under $2, but I need to charge it all up in that window, so maxing out my charging rate was important. Will I save money or break even? Probably not, maybe eventually, but balanced out with the convenience of being able to charge quickly. it works for me.

Additionally, I'd like to always keep a mobile charger in the car. Though there are many places to charge up a few miles in this dense metro area (though the EA and EVgo chargers are a good distance from home), I did go to an AirBNB a few months ago that was in a pretty rural area, and the EVgo charger I'd _planned_ on using to get enough charge to make it back to that same charger on my way home was out of service. Thankfully since I had a mobile charger in my car, I was able to plug in to a 120V outlet at the house and get about 120 miles added on before departing, which was more than enough to skip the first EVgo charger and hit up a much faster EA one instead for my charge up to 80%.
Sponsored

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
This is why:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Why do you buy an expensive wall charger unit for home when Ford gives you a 14-50 plug? 1635399523824

Jim D

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E - GT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Well my Ford Charger died after the first power outage, so I had no choice. I was not about to buy another Ford Charger so went Chargepoint and bought a 50AMP RV Surge protector for it. I do get some nice reports on electric usage out of the Chargepoint.

karioka

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Route 1
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Help me understand this one. I've owned a few EVs over the past 5 years and I never understood why people do this.

You have to run 240V/50A to the garage anyway, so there's that cost. But why hard wire in a wall unit that you have to purchase separately, in addition to the cost of getting the power to the garage? Why not just put a Nema 14-50 wall plug in the garage and use the charger Ford gives you with the car?

The MME can take up to 48A, and the plug on the wall is 50A, so you would set the car to charge at 40A safely. (80% of total available 50A for safety!)

At 40A you will always be fully charged to 80% or 90% by morning with the Ford charger.

So why do people do that? Is it a cool factor thing? Or is it just so you can keep the Ford one in the car?

Thanks folks.
That's what I do, use the mobile charger that came with the car for free and it works great!
Sponsored