Why do you buy an expensive wall charger unit for home when Ford gives you a 14-50 plug?

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I started out using the mobile charger that came with the car. Unplugging and repacking it up in the car for every long distance drive was a slight inconvenience but after forgetting to take it one time (although I didn't need to use it) it actually added some additional stress to the entire trip. Call me crazy but if felt the same as if we forgot the spare key.

So during the trip, I ordered a JuiceBox. It was installed immediately after I put the mobile charger back in the car.
but how useful is the portable evse on the road? I mean if you plug it into 120 that's 3mph charge rate, and how likely is it to find a 14-50 nema plug? It'd seem much easier to use charging stations. Just curious.
Sponsored

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
but how useful is the portable evse on the road? I mean if you plug it into 120 that's 3mph charge rate, and how likely is it to find a 14-50 nema plug? It'd seem much easier to use charging stations. Just curious.
To me it's just a safety net. It's light, small, takes up almost no space... And that ONE time you need it you'll be glad it's there. That said it's like a spare tire, you never know if you'll ever need it. But unlike a gallon of gas, it's safe to store for long periods and forget. If you have another at home why not keep it in the car. That said, I dunno that I'd suggest buying a home EVSE just to carry the mobile around. But if you want a faster one anyway...

bp99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME eAWD, 21 MME CA Route 1 (sold)
Country flag
Depends on where you drive. Portable chargers went with 14-50 vs 6-50 because that's the RV standard. Lots and lots of RV parks out there with 14-50 outlets. If you're getting outside of town in to more recreational areas, you're far more likely to find an RV park with 14-50 than a charging station. This might change with Rivian now building out a network for off road enthusiasts. If you never leave an urban area, then it's not an issue.

It gives options and a sense of security. With utility rebates and tax credits, it's not that much extra money to get an evse. Might as well install one now while there are incentives than find you want one later once the incentives no longer exist.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Is it better for battery life to charge it at a lower amps, say 20 instead of 32? Either way it will be fully charged overnight...

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Haven't read the thread yet. For me I have Solar with Powerwall's so the Ford wall mount was perfect. I can adjust the amps to different levels depending on solar output and batteries. My city also gave me $500 to towards it. :)

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
The only time I've used mine on the road was to help a Kona driver. It comes only with a level 1, and there were no DCFCs in the area. We used a 14-50 at a relative's farm that was there for his welder. Sometimes, it's not about just ourselves!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Is it better for battery life to charge it at a lower amps, say 20 instead of 32? Either way it will be fully charged overnight...
Maybe, maybe not.

A 48 amp charger does 32 miles per hour or so.
A 32 amp charger does maybe 22 miles per hour.
A 20 amp charger does maybe 14.

How long is your charging window? Mine is 16 hours, but many people have much shorter, like 5 or 6.

I got the 48amp charger, which I can adjust down easily (one click in the app), so that I have the choice. And the price difference is so slight as to be ridiculous.

We arrived home from our trip at 4% battery. Plugged in at 11PM. Let's say I want to go to work in the morning at 7AM, that's 8 hours of charging.

The only way I'd get that is with my 48amp setting. I raised it from 32 to 40, and it took 8 hours and 38 minutes to charge, and that was to 90%, which is where I stop unless departing for a trip.

As to getting the best battery life, I'm not a battery expert, nor do I play one on TV, but after owning a hybrid for 8 1/2 years, and a PHEV for 3 years, my advice is to remember that there is an 8 year (10 years in CA I believe) warranty from Ford that guarantees 70% battery life. Darren Palmer from Ford has stated it will be more than that, as it should be. Given that Ford supplies a 32 amp charger with the vehicle, that should tell you something.

Last edited:

Dark Matter GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Country flag
As others have said:
  1. I want the fastest charger at home, so a hardwired 60A circuit gives me a 48A charger - the highest I can handle with the Mustang Mach E
  2. I can always leave the portable charger packed in its case, in the trunk. I’ll never have to worry about forgetting it on a trip
  3. Tax credits made the cost of getting and installing the home charger much more attractive!
We installed ours for all the same reason as you with the addition of needing a longer cord to reach both cars since we park outside our 1 car garage in the driveway.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
We arrived home from our trip at 4% battery. Plugged in at 11PM. Let's say I want to go to work in the morning at 7AM, that's 8 hours of charging.
Even with this non-standard situation you will have ~160 miles after 8 hours on 32 amp charging. Is you daily commute more than that? For most people it's not. And for more common 30%-80% overnight charging even 10 hours at 14 mi/hr should be enough.

BUT: it only makes sense if it's really better for the battery to be charged at lower current. If so, it can be a reason to get an additional charger.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Even with this non-standard situation you will have ~160 miles after 8 hours on 32 amp charging. Is you daily commute more than that? For most people it's not. And for more common 30%-80% overnight charging even 10 hours at 14 mi/hr should be enough.

BUT: it only makes sense if it's really better for the battery to be charged at lower current. If so, it can be a reason to get an additional charger.

This is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. Ford warranties the battery for 8yrs or 100000 miles. I will use the car as I need it, charging to what I need when I need it without being completely insane about it, and if the battery degrades in that time Ford will give me a new one. If I have the car longer and it starts to degrade, I'll sell it and get something else.

Now, I charge to 90% at home......no more unless I am traveling the next day then it goes to 100% over night. I DCFC without worry to 80% at each stop when traveling.

I have a 40a EVSE because it has a longer cord, reaches my car better and charges it faster. Do I really need it ?‍♂ probably about as much as I really needed the MME in the first place

RW Journey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford MME FE
Country flag
It has a multiple benefits.

The safety aspect is the primary reason, although 3mph doesn't sound like much, it does at up for an overnight or extended stay.

There are several campgrounds which offer 14-50 NEMA outlets, which would provide a quicker charge and sometimes at a flat rate.

Some public sites and hotels have a dedicated outlet for EV chargers in addition to the L2 chargers.

Although this might sound "rude" to some people, we have visited friends/family who have offered an outlet but didn't have an EVSE.

Marc S

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select (lease ended) Now 2023 GTPE
Country flag
Help me understand this one. I've owned a few EVs over the past 5 years and I never understood why people do this.

You have to run 240V/50A to the garage anyway, so there's that cost. But why hard wire in a wall unit that you have to purchase separately, in addition to the cost of getting the power to the garage? Why not just put a Nema 14-50 wall plug in the garage and use the charger Ford gives you with the car?

The MME can take up to 48A, and the plug on the wall is 50A, so you would set the car to charge at 40A safely. (80% of total available 50A for safety!)

At 40A you will always be fully charged to 80% or 90% by morning with the Ford charger.

So why do people do that? Is it a cool factor thing? Or is it just so you can keep the Ford one in the car?

Thanks folks.
I received a $500 rebate on the JuiceBox charger from PSE&G plus I allow them “access” to my charger and receive a monthly discount on my bill if I charge between the hours of 11PM and 6AM. The JuiceBox charges at a faster rate and plugs into my Nema 14-50 outlet. Leave the Ford supplied in the car

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
I have a 40a EVSE because it has a longer cord, reaches my car better and charges it faster. Do I really need it ?‍♂ probably about as much as I really needed the MME in the first place
Great answer!
I got one for myself for pretty much the same reasons (well, and ability to charge slowly when it fits me) and the same excuse :p

Njia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape Hybrid, Mach-E Prem/AWD/Standard Battery
Country flag
You might want to go look at that rate closer. There is no such rate to my knowledge.

EV rate (D1.9) is 11 cents at night, 24 cents during the day.
Time of day plan (D1.2) is 12 cents at night (and longer hours) and 20 or 23 cents during the day.
Dynamic Peak Pricing Plan (D1.8) is 11 cents at night, and 16 or 23 cents during the day.

Be careful you're not taking the base rate off your bill, and not adding in all the extras. I pay 1.16 cents at night. But... I also pay a non-capacity charge per kwh of 4.261 cents, and a power supply cost recovery of 0.322 cents, and a distribution cost of 6.611 cents. That brings the 1.16 cent number to 12.354 cents, plus tax, as compared to the 12 cents that my Time of Day plan states.
I definitely didn't include the extra fees, just the base rate. But, the point was less about the rate and more about why I went with the wall charger that DTE paid for entirely.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I haven’t installed a home ESVE yet. I am currently using my mobile charger to charge my car at work. It is a pain in the butt to put the mobile charger into its case and away under the package area every day, so it ends up on the floor in the back seat, making the car look cluttered.
Sponsored