Why do you buy an expensive wall charger unit for home when Ford gives you a 14-50 plug?

Olds442

First Name
Olds
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GT, '22 Premium Ex AWD
Occupation
sales
Country flag
Help me understand this one. I've owned a few EVs over the past 5 years and I never understood why people do this.

You have to run 240V/50A to the garage anyway, so there's that cost. But why hard wire in a wall unit that you have to purchase separately, in addition to the cost of getting the power to the garage? Why not just put a Nema 14-50 wall plug in the garage and use the charger Ford gives you with the car?

The MME can take up to 48A, and the plug on the wall is 50A, so you would set the car to charge at 40A safely. (80% of total available 50A for safety!)

At 40A you will always be fully charged to 80% or 90% by morning with the Ford charger.

So why do people do that? Is it a cool factor thing? Or is it just so you can keep the Ford one in the car?

Thanks folks.
Sponsored

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
I had an outlet available so I got a 40amp charger (EVSE) to leave there and be able to take the supplied one with without having to unplug and coil it up.

We go to a townhouse in MD often and I use the Ford supplied one to plug in there

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
The Ford Mobile Charger charges at 32A, even on a 50A circuit.
The JuiceBox can go up to 48A depending on the model.
The ChargePoint can go up to 50A, but you'd set it at 48A if hardwired, 42A if using 14-50 plug.

CompilerBreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
Beyond the extra amps mentioned, I plan to keep the provided mobile one in the car so I can charge at family's places after trips and just general peace of mind when I'm out.

Also, a 50a gfci breaker was over $100, vs $12 for a regular 60a. Combine that with the 30% back via tax credit which is expiring (and here in WA electric charger equipment is sales tax exempt), it really wasn't that much in the scheme of things for a $50k+ car to buy a dedicated charger for home.

bhall22

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mits Outlander PHEV, 2021 MME Prem AWD
Country flag
Keep in mind that if you have to run a new outlet a 50A line the code required wiring is 6g, which will end up costing as much as the charger unless you luck out and your panel is close to your garage.

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
Keep in mind that if you have to run a new outlet a 50A line the code required wiring is 6g, which will end up costing as much as the charger unless you luck out and your panel is close to your garage.
Yeah, my install was $475 for parts and labor. My ChargePoint is $699 (not counting the 30% rebate). I know there's a HUGE gap in return on investment if you look at dollars alone, but I calculate speed, performance, "smart" data and connectivity as a huge value add personally. I also tend to spend quite a bit on home automation so that's more my world I suppose.

Aside from that, I'd "probably" be fine on just the Ford Mobile Charger, but (a) I'd rather keep that in the car, and (b) I want the option to charge more rapidly in the use case I get back from a trip into Boston for work but need to leave to head somewhere after dinner, for example. I want as much juice as I can get in those cases.

SeattleMachE

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
My utility provider had a $500 off discount for the charger and it allows me to participate in a pilot program with them that provides for discounted rates. I can also claim part of it on my taxes.

it’s nice to be able to leave the mobile charger in the call.

OP
OP
Olds442

Olds442

First Name
Olds
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GT, '22 Premium Ex AWD
Occupation
sales
Country flag
they limit the mobile charger to 32A? eyeroll... i'd probably still be fine with that.

thanks everyone, more good reasons than i had considered. cheers.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
My situation is a bit unique but I am sure other have seen elements of it

1) I don't have a garage, so my EVSE will have to be exterior wall mounted. I don't really trust an outlet to stay weatherproof (even with a cover) with the mobile charger plugged in.

2) Don't want to have to deal with unplugging and replugging the mobile charger every time and that can wear out the outlet

3) I plan to upgrade to the 80A charge station pro when I get my Lightning (someday) and that requires a hard wired connection anyways.

I am having an electrician install wiring for a 100A circuit from my panel (basement) to the exterior wall and into a disconnect box. them there they will hard wire in the Grizzl-e EVSE I purchased. When I get the Lightning, I just need to swap out the EVSE, add whatever is needed for the home power backup, and put in a bigger breaker.

Cost estimate for the electrician is ~$2000 (higher gauge wire in pricy and it is a hard run (older house).

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Federal Tax Credits. The cost of the 240v + Cost of EVSE = Free EVSE.

eg: 240v parts and labor = 900. EVSE = 500. Tax rebate = 420. If we didn't buy the EVSE and just did the 240 we'd only get back tax credit of 270...so it made sense to go ahead and get that wall mounted EVSE for basically very little net cost.

Last edited:

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I leave the factory charger in the car and only use it for travel. My home charger is a bit faster and runs cooler. If it ever fails I have the factory supplied charger until my home charger is fixed/replaced.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Personally I just wanted to make sure I have the fastest charging available at home. Plus, I managed to score a deal because the company my wife works for wants to become a premier EV charger installation source, so they used my house as a test for their engineers to install since they knew I was ordering an EV. It cost me zero dollars to run a massive run from the opposite end of my basement, up into the garage and install a sub panel with 100A and hardwire my ChargePoint Flex into it. Then, the ChargePoint has about half off on tax rebates, so all in all it was just a good idea for me to take advantage of that. I'll keep the provided charger in the car for traveling.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Few good reasons like taxes and rebates. But really the truth is we are too lazy or might forget to put it in the car on a road trip. I myself only have the ford charger that came with the mache. When we go somewhere I walk over unplug it and put it in the car. Takes about 3 minutes.

It's more along the line of well I can afford it the American way why not. It's not a need but more of a want.
Sponsored