Why do you buy an expensive wall charger unit for home when Ford gives you a 14-50 plug?

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Metallic RWD, standard range
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I actually considered that when I was researching everything, but the more I read about the portable evse ,and a charge rate of 20 mph on the 14-50, completely unneeded so I've been using the portable evse since day one.
Sponsored

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Metallic RWD, standard range
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The Ford Mobile Charger charges at 32A, even on a 50A circuit.
The JuiceBox can go up to 48A depending on the model.
The ChargePoint can go up to 50A, but you'd set it at 48A if hardwired, 42A if using 14-50 plug.
40 amp would be the max you should use on a 50 amp circuit tho.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Federal Tax Credits. The cost of the 240v + Cost of EVSE = Free EVSE.

eg: 240v parts and labor = 900. EVSE = 500. Tax rebate = 420. If we didn't buy the EVSE and just did the 240 we'd only get back tax credit of 270...so it made sense to go ahead and get that wall mounted EVSE for basically very little net cost.
I thing the tax credit is limited to 30% on $1,000. not a huge deal. Also I would think the credit is limited to the out of pocket cost net of rebate but I haven’t looked in to it.

Cptmorgemaker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Edge St, 2021 Lincoln Aviator BL GT
Occupation
Electrical
Country flag
32 A limit. I got 80a charge point still only charges at 48a though but much faster. I drive alot and sometimes not home long. And I also use it on the wife's Lincoln I don't like the Lincoln charger not a smart wifi connection

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
We are using the mobile charger that came with the car and for our needs it has been sufficient. I didn’t even take it with us for our first road trip.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
Beyond the extra amps mentioned, I plan to keep the provided mobile one in the car so I can charge at family's places after trips and just general peace of mind when I'm out.

Also, a 50a gfci breaker was over $100, vs $12 for a regular 60a. Combine that with the 30% back via tax credit which is expiring (and here in WA electric charger equipment is sales tax exempt), it really wasn't that much in the scheme of things for a $50k+ car to buy a dedicated charger for home.
In my county (El Dorado County, CA) gfci's are not required in the code. My charger (Alpha) has a built-in gfci breaker. Having two gfci's on the same circuit can cause false trips.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you main battery ever runs out of energy on the road you will thank yourself for having that mobile charger in the car. When calling a tow truck it is easier to get them to bring a gas generator than a ESVE and large portable battery.

With a gas generator and the 120V adapter you can charge the HBV. It is not fast, but in an emergency it will work.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I have a level 2 EVSE because my Fusion Energi only came with a level 1 EVSE. It will stay there when I rid myself of the Fusion’s tiny battery in favor of an MME’s much larger battery.

mcfalljames

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4 X
Country flag
I thing the tax credit is limited to 30% on $1,000. not a huge deal. Also I would think the credit is limited to the out of pocket cost net of rebate but I haven’t looked in to it.
Pretty sure it's 30% of the total cost up to a maximum credit of $1000.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Maximum 1000 credit...not 1000 install cost.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
As others have mentioned, government tax incentives and rebates make it very cheap to go the extra mile and get a dedicated L2 charger.

More broadly, it’s also the convenience and future proofing of having a permanent install that can handle 48amps knowing battery electrics are here to stay and in the future, battery capacity might be so high on cars where 32amps won’t cut it for an overnight charge.

Finally, if ever in a bind, 48amps will top you off quicker, like if you forgot to charge or unexpectedly need to drive far away on short norice.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
To each his own.
Here is why stupid me installed an EVSE:
1) my previous EVs did not come with a 240v charger.
2) level 1 is slow and there are times when a limited range EV(eg. a Volt) required a level 2 to get a timely full charge.
3) installed the EVSE and took the tax credits years before my MMe.
I charge my EVs directly off my solar (at 120v) the vast majority of the time (a little tougher during winter moths, but still most of my energy comes from the sun via my solar panels) for all of the reasons.
4) the supplied level 2 is a FORD product (recall the FORD level 2 EVSE). I would not consider it reliable, but always hope it will work.
The supplied 240v charger is a backup. I only intend to use it at the lake cabin (14-50 installed).
I understand some folks think solar, battery backup, all electric (solar) home, solar for energy (no fossil fuels for energy), EVs, and EVSEs are stupid, But I am a stubborn old bastard and did it all just the same.
Let us make mistakes. Odd, I always thought that was part of the learning curve, mistakes that is.
I enjoy it all, especially my MMe ( even with its software quirks).
Share the good news.
Most of all enjoy and have fun

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I have two wall-mounted (wired in) EVSE's in my garage.

1 - the best electric rate I can get for charging via my electric utility requires that I put in a 'dedicated' electric meter on my house (so I have two meters ... one for the house, one for the cars).

2 - that dedicated meter supplies up to 125 amps ... so I have the amperage.

3 - since I have enough to run two 60 amp circuit breakers ... that means I can have two 48 amp chargers.

4 - I MAY NOT plug ANYTHING into the meter dedicated to EV charging ... OTHER than an EV charger (they were quite strict ... I cannot plug in so much as a night light). So it's not like the NEMA 14-50 outlet buys me any flexibility.

5 - the electric utility had a $500 rebate provided I bought one of their approved EVSEs (I can buy it from anyone ... it just has to be a model on their list of approved models). When you combine the 30% federal tax credit for installing EV charging equipment *and* the $500 rebate.... the wall-mounted dedicated EVSE (mine is a ChargePoint Home Flex) was free ... actually more than free. They paid me a tiny bit to take it. Although... the cost to hire the electrician to do all the wiring was still expensive so it's overall I still paid.

In other words... why not install a wall-mounted direct-wired EVSE?

vinny2487

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E CA Route 1 (Star White)
Country flag
Help me understand this one. I've owned a few EVs over the past 5 years and I never understood why people do this.

You have to run 240V/50A to the garage anyway, so there's that cost. But why hard wire in a wall unit that you have to purchase separately, in addition to the cost of getting the power to the garage? Why not just put a Nema 14-50 wall plug in the garage and use the charger Ford gives you with the car?

The MME can take up to 48A, and the plug on the wall is 50A, so you would set the car to charge at 40A safely. (80% of total available 50A for safety!)

At 40A you will always be fully charged to 80% or 90% by morning with the Ford charger.

So why do people do that? Is it a cool factor thing? Or is it just so you can keep the Ford one in the car?

Thanks folks.
Simple: I keep the mobile charger in the car to use for traveling. I bought a wall charger (Pulsar Plus) to have one permanently plugged in my garage. Remember, NEMA 14-50 outlets are not made to be continuously plugged and unplugged. It'll wear out the outlet. It's not your regular household 110v outlet.

Also, my utility offers a rebate. Coupled that with the 30% tax credit, the cost is very affordable.
Sponsored