Why does Ford include Delivery Fee in MSRP?

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
I'm in NJ, but this may apply to other states as well. Here in NJ, we have fantastic EV incentives - no sales tax on purchase and a $5,000 rebate on the purchase of an EV (that gets over 200 miles) with an MSRP of LESS THAN $55,000.

My order totals $54,700. It is $55,800 when you add the Delivery.

What makes me a bit concerned is that Ford calls $55,800 the 'Total MSRP'. I'm hoping that NJ (and other states where MSRP matters for rebates, etc.) will EXCLUDE the $1,100 from the Ford 'MSRP' and use the $54,700 as the basis for the rebate.

Any accountants out there that can chime in?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Why does Ford include Delivery Fee in MSRP? 1604673246212
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Every place other than the finance calculator MSRP does not include the D&D charges, but presumably what matters is how the dealers fill out the paperwork. In the "terms and conditions" for the program they call out D&D as not "typically" being part of the MSRP. My guess is when the EPA numbers are announced, then NJ will eventually update the list of eligible vehicles to include the ER RWD.

Here's the excerpt form the doc referenced above:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Why does Ford include Delivery Fee in MSRP? Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 9.39.35 AM

OP
OP
SoriceConsulting

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
Thanks timbop. I'm aware of the NJ language. What's a bit worrisome is that they say costs 'not generally' included in MSRP are destination/delivery. I guess that means you need to keep a close eye on how the Dealer fills out the paperwork.

But I'm also concerned that NJ would use the Ford MSRP, regardless of what the Dealer says.

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Chevrolet Suburban K1500
Country flag
I looked into this back in September and got the following from the Charge Up New Jersey program:

The Charge Up New Jersey Incentive does require that the final Manufacture Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of eligible vehicles be under $55,000. This final MSRP consists of the MSRP price of the vehicle, as well as added options, trim features or color and wheel options. This price does not include taxes and destination fees.

J Duce

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Country flag
I'm in NJ, but this may apply to other states as well. Here in NJ, we have fantastic EV incentives - no sales tax on purchase and a $5,000 rebate on the purchase of an EV (that gets over 200 miles) with an MSRP of LESS THAN $55,000.

My order totals $54,700. It is $55,800 when you add the Delivery.

What makes me a bit concerned is that Ford calls $55,800 the 'Total MSRP'. I'm hoping that NJ (and other states where MSRP matters for rebates, etc.) will EXCLUDE the $1,100 from the Ford 'MSRP' and use the $54,700 as the basis for the rebate.

Any accountants out there that can chime in?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Why does Ford include Delivery Fee in MSRP? Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 9.39.35 AM
When the incentives speaks to MSRP, aren't they referring to "Base MSRP"? I believe this is how the Fed incentives work. Is NJ different? Something to look into.