macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext Range
Country flag
My MME is the first car in which Ive actually used carplay. I always avoided it in the past because of limited functionality and other issues. Today i noticed if try to use the Shazam app to identify a song that is playing on the radio so I can add it to Spotify the radio shuts off. Why does this happen? It never happened when I streamed through Bluetooth. Anyone know a workaround?
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
My MME is the first car in which Ive actually used carplay. I always avoided it in the past because of limited functionality and other issues. Today i noticed if try to use the Shazam app to identify a song that is playing on the radio so I can add it to Spotify the radio shuts off. Why does this happen? It never happened when I streamed through Bluetooth. Anyone know a workaround?
I think a workaround would be to turn off Bluetooth on your phone before opening Shazam.

That said, the radio always seems to tell me the song on the Mach E screen. What are you listening to that doesn’t?

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
It's because your phone is telling the car "Hey - the mic is on!" when you open Shazam. The car says "Oh - let me stop/quiet this music so you can hear what the person is trying to say into the mic!".

I'm afraid that's probably always going to be the case if you're using Carplay and the stock radio at the same time.

Will have to disconnect Carplay before you could use Shazam I believe.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
This is the case on any car when using CarPlay or even streaming from Bluetooth. The phone has to engage the mic to listen so it pauses whatever audio is coming out.

OP
OP
macgyver60

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think a workaround would be to turn off Bluetooth on your phone before opening Shazam.

That said, the radio always seems to tell me the song on the Mach E screen. What are you listening to that doesn’t?
The reason I do this is that once Shazam identifies a song it allows you to add whatever song it identifies to your Spotify play list with just one or two taps.

OP
OP
macgyver60

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is the case on any car when using CarPlay or even streaming from Bluetooth. The phone has to engage the mic to listen so it pauses whatever audio is coming out.
I'll have to check that. On my previous car I never used CarPlay even though it was available. I connected by Bluetooth but I could easily switch between the radio and Bluetooth as the audio source with one button press. If I was listening to the radio I could use Shazam. I'll have to figure out a way to do this.

This is what I always hated about CarPlay and why I never used it before. It limits the available functionality of apps. Even the apps that are available in CarPlay have significant limitations compared to their native phone app.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I'll have to check that. On my previous car I never used CarPlay even though it was available. I connected by Bluetooth but I could easily switch between the radio and Bluetooth as the audio source with one button press. If I was listening to the radio I could use Shazam. I'll have to figure out a way to do this.

This is what I always hated about CarPlay and why I never used it before. It limits the available functionality of apps. Even the apps that are available in CarPlay have significant limitations compared to their native phone app.
I don’t think it’s related to CarPlay. It depends if the car can access Siri functionality, would be my guess. My Mercedes on Bluetooth only used to do the same thing. I would be listening to the radio, try and Shazam but it would mute everything for the mic. I think it’s because the car thinks that the mic on is on you are using Siri or something.

OP
OP
macgyver60

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I found a partial workaround. If i use Shazam on my Apple watch it does not affect playback from the radio or any other source.
Sponsored