Why has the sr AWD version the same HP insteed of the RWD sr version?

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Thanks, I will correct my post. PHEV get the longest warranty, 15 years on major drivetrain components.
Fusion/Escape has had good battery success, hopefully Li-ion batteries will be just as good:

"Ford has been producing hybrids with Nickel Metal-Hydrid (Ni-MH) battery packs since 2004, when the Ford Escape hybrid hit the streets. Each battery pack contains something like 220 or so individual cells made for Ford by Sanyo.

Between the Fusion hybrid and the Escape hybrid, about 190,000 Ford hybrids are in circulation, comprised of 43 million cells.

Five have failed.

Not five battery packs out of 190,000, five cells out of 43 million. And those failures were put down to a cell manufacturing issue since corrected, not an in-use drop in performance.

Those are damn good odds.

As for the electric motors, Ford reports that there have been zero failures among the 190,000 Ford hybrids in operation." - edmunds.com
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Fusion/Escape has had good battery success, hopefully Li-ion batteries will be just as good:

"Ford has been producing hybrids with Nickel Metal-Hydrid (Ni-MH) battery packs since 2004, when the Ford Escape hybrid hit the streets. Each battery pack contains something like 220 or so individual cells made for Ford by Sanyo.

Between the Fusion hybrid and the Escape hybrid, about 190,000 Ford hybrids are in circulation, comprised of 43 million cells.

Five have failed.

Not five battery packs out of 190,000, five cells out of 43 million. And those failures were put down to a cell manufacturing issue since corrected, not an in-use drop in performance.

Those are damn good odds.

As for the electric motors, Ford reports that there have been zero failures among the 190,000 Ford hybrids in operation." - edmunds.com
yeah I legitimate expect the physical condition of my Fusion will degrade to where I won't want it before I have to worry about the battery.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Pure HP and torque mean in a sense not much, what I'm anxiously waiting to see (unless it has been published somewhere but I haven't found it) is the weight of the version version.

RWD-SR, RWD-ER, AWD-SR and AWD-ER, as well maybe later the version sub variants like Select vs Premium vs CR1 of these different powertrain/battery setup

There may be less HP on the RWD-SR but what's the difference on the lbs/HP compared to a RWD-ER or a AWD-ER for example

Obviously the AWD-ER would seem to have the best numbers, but given that the AWD adds weight and the ER adds weight, what's the net gain on a lbs/HP ratio, that would be interesting to know.
Not sure if the weight figures have been published anywhere, but I think we can sort of infer what you are talking about from the 0 to 60 times which are:

RWD SR: 5.8
AWD SR: 5.2
RWD ER: 6.1
AWD ER: 4.8

But I think even this might not really paint an accurate picture if you are talking about accelerating while already moving, for example accelerating to overtake on a freeway as opposed to gunning it while stopped, because, particularly with the RWD versions, wheel spin might be a limiting factor in 0 to 60 runs with the relatively low rolling resistance tires and the 317lbs of torque available from the get go.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Not sure if the weight figures have been published anywhere, but I think we can sort of infer what you are talking about from the 0 to 60 times which are:

RWD SR: 5.8
AWD SR: 5.2
RWD ER: 6.1
AWD ER: 4.8

But I think even this might not really paint an accurate picture if you are talking about accelerating while already moving, for example accelerating to overtake on a freeway as opposed to gunning it while stopped, because, particularly with the RWD versions, wheel spin might be a limiting factor in 0 to 60 runs with the relatively low rolling resistance tires and the 317lbs of torque available from the get go.
Standard Range: RWD 4,394 lbs and AWD 4,587 lbs
Extended Range: RWD 4,727 lbs and AWD 4,920lbs

Reactions: ARK

EV Lab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME 4XE, Ford F-150, Honda Civic EV conversion
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I know a few things about EV batteries so I thought I'd chime in...

I added my 2 cents to the battery reverse engineering thread, and the relevant details are shared again below.

Though this detail is not shared anywhere, I am pretty sure the batteries used in the MME are 72Ah.

72Ah x 3.65V = 262.8Wh.

262.8Wh x 4 x 94 = 98.81kWh (where 4 = the number of parallel cells, and 94 = the number of series cells, for the extended range pack).

262.8Wh x 3 x 96 = 75.69kWh (where 3 = the number of parallel cells, and 96 = the number of series cells, for the standard range pack).

The Ah rating is what is used as the multiplier for the cell suppliers stated supported values for continuous and peak charge and discharge current, and is typically provided as a C rating. The C value is multiplied by the Ah to provide the current. It's a guess as I don't have the datasheet for the specific cells used in the Mach-e, but the C rating would typically be something like:

1C for continuous charge current
2C for continuous discharge current
5C for peak or impulse discharge current (typically 10 second pulse)

The 72Ah cells likely support the following currents:
Continuous charge current = 72Ah x 1C = 72A
Continuous discharge current = 72Ah x 2C = 144A
Impulse discharge current = 72Ah x 5C = 360A

Again, this is a bit of an educated guess as I don't have the data for these specific cells.

Judging by the hp figures shared by Ford, 346hp for the ER AWD and 266hp for the SR, it appears that they are using a 3C discharge rate from the pack. You can calculate it yourself:

Cell capacity x discharge rate multiplier (C rate) x min cell voltage (3.2V) x number of series cells x number of parallel cells x 1.341 (kW to hp conversion ratio)

For the SR:
72 x 3 x 3.2 x 96 x 3 x 1.341 = 266.9hp

For the ER:
72 x 3 x 3.2 x 94 x 4 x 1.341 = 348.5hp

For the RWD MME, I suspect the motor is what limits the hp.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Judging by the hp figures shared by Ford, 346hp for the ER AWD and 266hp for the SR, it appears that they are using a 3C discharge rate from the pack. You can calculate it yourself:

Cell capacity x discharge rate multiplier (C rate) x min cell voltage (3.2V) x number of series cells x number of parallel cells x 1.341 (kW to hp conversion ratio)

For the SR:
72 x 3 x 3.2 x 96 x 3 x 1.341 = 266.9hp

For the ER:
72 x 3 x 3.2 x 94 x 4 x 1.341 = 348.5hp
BAM - that is some good math, and you are probably right about it being driven by a peak discharge rate of 3C. That probably still has a time value associated with it - 10s or 20s or so. I think the power ratings are driven by battery current, and the top speeds are driven by motor and IDM max RPMs.

For everyone else, one important note is that for batteries, electric motors and power electronics, EVERYTHING is controlled by a setpoint. In an ICE, some behavior and max powers are just a result of the natural combination of fuel and air. In an EV, every component would cheerfully commit thermal suicide in 50ms if you commanded it to do so.

That means that the systems don't have the same kind of inherent power limitations of an ICE - just trade offs between reliability, longevity, and power. In an ICE you could maybe free up a little air flow and get 5 hp more. In an EV if you want 5 hp more you just increase the setpoint. If the motor, inverter or battery melts, that is on you... Ford and LGChem seem to be taking a conservative stance which is wise.

EDIT: Just realized this thread is a month old, but I stand by my statements. ;)
Sponsored