Why is ‘X’ increasing in iPhone(X) on my screen?

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
Over time I’ve noticed that my screen (see photo) has gone from showing iPhone on the upper left to iPhone(2), then iPhone(3) and now iPhone(4). Any idea what that means and if it’s important? CarPlay seems to work well as does PAAK (mostly).
Ford Mustang Mach-E Why is ‘X’ increasing in iPhone(X) on my screen? C55A8563-134C-40EB-B636-F9F899F654AF
Sponsored

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Maybe it will stop when you get to the iPhone version you have. iPhone (13)

ShaggySS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
I believe that is the name of the phone. Go to Settings\General\About. Top line is name.

Travman1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mazda 3
Country flag
On you iPhone go to Settings > General > About. Under name do you see iPhone (4)? Change it to something else, see if it updates on your screen.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Apple is doing this for some reason, I have tried changing the name in the phone, but both of my cars still see this extra number. Mine is now (3).

Worse than that, on my Bolt is screwed up some of the CarPlay functionality with the Chevrolet app. Had to go into the car settings and change the name of the phone.

Xadion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD SR - Plat Graphite
Country flag
Also, if not the name of your phone- it most likely is re-adding the phone to your car thinking it is "new" so each time it adds it, and the name is the same "i-phone" it adds a (X+1)

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also, if not the name of your phone- it most likely is re-adding the phone to your car thinking it is "new" so each time it adds it, and the name is the same "i-phone" it adds a (X+1)
That was my impression as well, I just don’t know why that’s happening and if it matters. Will be interesting to see how high that number gets.

ckelley87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sold: 2021 Premium Extended RWD, Job 1
Country flag
Do you have any other devices on your network, either home, work, etc. named iPhone? It may be setting a new name so it's not getting confused with something else on your network.

For instance, I had an Apple TV and named it Living Room, then when I got a new one I called it Living Room as well, but to avoid issues it renamed it to Living Room (1) until I removed the old one from the network and renamed it. Try changing name to "Bob's iPhone" (or whatever your name is, ha!) and it shouldn't do that anymore. Well, until you get on another network with another "Bob's iPhone" 😄

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you have any other devices on your network, either home, work, etc. named iPhone?
Sadly I’m unable to connect my car to my home’s WiFi (the Verizon FIOS router issue that has been posted a few times here previously). So I do t think that’s it. But my wife has connected her iPhone to charge though it wasn’t added to any profile. My phone is linked to my profile.

mdraptor

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Raptor, 2022 Ford Mach E CR1
Country flag
Sadly I’m unable to connect my car to my home’s WiFi (the Verizon FIOS router issue that has been posted a few times here previously). So I do t think that’s it. But my wife has connected her iPhone to charge though it wasn’t added to any profile. My phone is linked to my profile.
Wouldn't it be nice if Ford would fix the problem with connecting to Verizon FioS? I won't connect to my FioS router or my ASUS access point.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
On you iPhone go to Settings > General > About. Under name do you see iPhone (4)? Change it to something else, see if it updates on your screen.
Lol wow, I didn’t notice this but it’s definitely my phone.

For years I was “iPhone(4).”

Just noticed now I’m “iPhone(28).”

This definitely is new in the last few weeks.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've seen this issue when others connect their iPhone's to my car and their phone is named "iPhone". As mentioned earlier by another member, when several phones of the same name are connected to Sync, it is giving it a different name to differentiate it possibly? However, if your phone has a unique name that no other phone has, it shouldn't change the name by adding a number to it. My phone is called Mark's iPhone 13 Pro and unlike other phones just named "iPhone" that have been connected to my Sync, that custom name does not change.

Change the name of your phone to something unique and see if you have any more issues.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I've seen this issue when others connect their iPhone's to my car and their phone is named "iPhone". As mentioned earlier by another member, when several phones of the same name are connected to Sync, it is giving it a different name to differentiate it possibly? However, if your phone has a unique name that no other phone has, it shouldn't change the name by adding a number to it. My phone is called Mark's iPhone 13 Pro and unlike other phones just named "iPhone" that have been connected to my Sync, that custom name does not change.

Change the name of your phone to something unique and see if you have any more issues.
Yup, checked with my wife and she figured out when mine changed.

We rented an ATV with Bluetooth last week and I connected and it changed me to “iPhone(28)”

Must have been 27 people before me connect who didn’t change their name.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
However, if your phone has a unique name that no other phone has, it shouldn't change the name by adding a number to it.
Mine has a unique name, and it was still adding the (3) to it. I was finally able to rename it back to the original, but had to change the setting in the phone then reboot it.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mine has a unique name, and it was still adding the (3) to it. I was finally able to rename it back to the original, but had to change the setting in the phone then reboot it.
Interesting. Well then, I don't know what could be causing this issue.

My iPhone connects to both of my cars (Sync 3 and 4) plus quite a few rental cars and that has not seemed to add a number (yet). There has to be a logical explanation that some software genius here can figure out. 😊
Sponsored