Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
Every single other EV in this class has a mechanical or more sturdy charge port door.

I went to a car wash and it opened my charge port door and I know how flimsy it is, it can probably just break off in the middle of the car wash. This isn’t the first time it’s happened either.

Why does every other EV in this class have an electronic charge port door that lets you open and close it with a button, but the Mach e charge port door isn’t like that?
Sponsored

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
The locking post works like a click pen. Pull back the rubber boot and you'll see the same mechanism.

I feel this is largely designed off-shore where designers are a bit more frugal than in the States.

That tiny plastic post is doomed - I'll expect a silent recall on these in a few years.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
This isn’t the first time it’s happened either.
Better question is why you would do it after it was opened once.. Its incredibly easy to have the door extend and dent the fender in that type of condition. Let alone snag and rip the thing clean off the car.

Those car washes are not gentle as they use a good amount of force. I've seen them open ICE gas doors as well, a lot of Fords use that push to open mechanism.

With that said, I would also throw out my two cents about car washes... If you value your clear coat, don't use them (that is unless you have PPF, then who cares!) When self washing your car, little tinny particles that get between your cloth and your paint can cause micro scratches. So image how much dirt and particles are all over those clothes in the car washes after they have washed 200 cars covered in dirt.... If ya don't care, more power to ya. A lot of people just don't realize how bad those are for your paint. After a few years, all those little scratches start to show.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
My Bolt's door was just made of soft plastic just like the Mach-E's...never had an issue with it in the 3 years I had the Bolt (and it didn't catch on fire either--just to head off those jokes).

My C-Max Energi, and Focus Electric also had soft plastic charge port doors made similarly. Those cars, however, had a different mechanism: You press a spot and they would rotate out of the way. To close you would push on them and they would rotate back to close. They were barely large enough for the J1772 plug so couldn't accomodate DCFC plug (Ford went to a larger door on the Focus Electric when its battery size increased and they added DCFC).

So far no issues with the Mach-E's...it did open once in the car wash but that was when the last brush hit it. Haven't happened since--and I run mine through the car wash quite a bit (2-3 times a month I guess).

TJ-Mach-e

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Merc S550, 2021 MME AWD ER
Country flag
Why does every other EV in this class have an electronic charge port door that lets you open and close it with a button, but the Mach e charge port door isn’t like that?
what other vehicle in this class has a powered charge port door other than Tesla?

OP
OP
fayt349

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
Better question is why you would do it after it was opened once.. Its incredibly easy to have the door extend and dent the fender in that type of condition. Let alone snag and rip the thing clean off the car.

Those car washes are not gentle as they use a good amount of force. I've seen them open ICE gas doors as well, a lot of Fords use that push to open mechanism.

With that said, I would also throw out my two cents about car washes... If you value your clear coat, don't use them (that is unless you have PPF, then who cares!) When self washing your car, little tinny particles that get between your cloth and your paint can cause micro scratches. So image how much dirt and particles are all over those clothes in the car washes after they have washed 200 cars covered in dirt.... If ya don't care, more power to ya. A lot of people just don't realize how bad those are for your paint. After a few years, all those little scratches start to show.
Didn't Ford upload some car wash torture test on the Mach E? It looks like the car wash I go to is even more superior than whatever torture test they did.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
Just like @JamieGeek, I had a CMax Energi (goodbye Abby, you were a great car!). The door did seem flimsy at first, but after four years, the door is still as good as new. The Mach-E door seems way sturdier in comparison. Also, not to sound like a luddite - I don't mind a charge port door that doesn't use some fancy mechanism to open/close.

Also, my dad's Volvo XC90 T8 (it's a PHEV) with its giant Type 2 plug for L2 charging has a similarly large/"flimsy" charge port door. No issues there either.

I dunno what kind of car washes you go through, but yeah - if it can open the charge port door, it'll probably scratch the crap out of your paint ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sharkcom

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
Country flag
My 2018 BMW 530E plugin sedan had a manual pop out charging door - no issues with it. So even BMW isnt doing an electric charge port door but agree they should.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
what other vehicle in this class has a powered charge port door other than Tesla?
The ioniq 5 and ev6 have powered charge ports. Ioniq 5 has buttons for it on the key fob and can be opened via the phone app I assume ev6 will have similar.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
My Outlander PHEV had a similarly flimsy charge port door. My wife’s RAV4 Prime does as well. I think more cars have flimsy ones than don’t.

OP
OP
fayt349

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
My Outlander PHEV had a similarly flimsy charge port door. My wife’s RAV4 Prime does as well. I think more cars have flimsy ones than don’t.
I meant EVs in it's class

OP
OP
fayt349

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
What EVs are in its class other than Tesla? Maybe ID.4 or Polestar 2? They look similar to me.
Tesla's is fine. Id.4 closes better from what I've seen in person.

Polestar 2 idk but it's probably better. Even the new ionic 5s

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
My Focus Electric had CCS port and a plastic door similar to the Mach-E. However, it's latching mechanism worked much better. I am guessing the larger door has some undesirable effect that causes the latch to release unexpectedly.

Answer: Door is too large.
Sponsored