jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S/3/Y, Mach e GTP, Canoo/Lightning/R1S Resy
Country flag
Our 2016 Nissan Leaf chargeport door wasn't powered, but I never felt like it would fall off. And it never did.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I've done (touchless) car washes many times now, and done high-pressure wand wash. Never once had the door open. Not sure what you people are doing to your cars but maybe it's time to change to a car wash that's not destroying your or something.

This door is way, way better than the Fusion Energi door. It has never popped back open on me like the Energi did, it opens like a door and not in a weird turning motion, it doesn't feel like it's going to break off in my hands... to be clear I had that car for 8 years and always worried about the door breaking off, and it never did.

and powered door? no. I never ever ever ever ever ever ever want to have any kind of door opening failure when I need to charge. That is bad bad bad bad bad. It's objectively, factually bad to require such a thing. Charging is time consuming and stressful enough without worrying if the special little latch will work. (And by the way, on the Model S I rented - the fancy door electric release thing didn't work reliably - the first time I told it to open, there was some kind of whirring sound or something followed by an error on the screen... it took three tries for it to open. NO THANKS.)

gafear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER
Country flag
The door is fine, I would love for it to lock the charger

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
I've not had an issue with the door popping open unexpectedly.

At charge stops it opens easily with no fuss, I like that. No need for a button inside.

Now closing is another thing. It always seems to take 2-3 tries to get it latched shut. I'd be happy if there was a fix for that

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
and powered door? no. I never ever ever ever ever ever ever want to have any kind of door opening failure when I need to charge. That is bad bad bad bad bad. It's objectively, factually bad to require such a thing.
I agree. I hand-wash my car whenever I can. I use a true touch-less wash in the winter and whenever I'm in a hurry.

As for the door ... motorizing it would just add more complexity, weight, and cost to the car ... and for what value?

I would say it might be nice if the door had a spring that wants it to stay closed if it is mostly closed and open if it is mostly open. The click-in/click-out mechanism could use a stronger spring that pushes the door out just enough for a person to get their finger behind it. That way if the door wasn't fully locked (clicked) shut the spring would still keep it in.

This is sort of how my '09 Ford Escape Hybrid works ... except that door has no locking mechanism. There's a small finger fairing to let you pull it open. For a car like the Mustang, the fairing is not really desirable (it's not a clean look).

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
This door is way, way better than the Fusion Energi door.
The fusion and c-max charge port door are superior in one respect. You are not going to snag it by passing an open door in a tight fitting garage. I did occasionally forget to close it on c-max, and the car didn't warn me as MME does.

Incidentally, I've never had a problem with car wash accidentally opening the charge port door. I did have a car wash mangle the gigantic windshield wiper on c-max, so now I have to remember to turn off auto wiping before entering.

The Quiet Man

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 MINI Cooper S, Grabber Blue Mach-E GT PE
Occupation
Having a good time ?
Country flag
Had a 2019 Jaguar I-Pace First Edition. Door was a little sturdier but It used the same style latch (No fancy mechanism). Size was comparable to the Mach E.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Why is the charge port door so awful? 1630333733592

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
The fusion and c-max charge port door are superior in one respect. You are not going to snag it by passing an open door in a tight fitting garage. I did occasionally forget to close it on c-max, and the car didn't warn me as MME does.
that is a fair point for sure. Need to be a lot more careful around the Mach-E door.

whenever I would get somewhere I realize the Fusion door was open, it felt like I had been somewhere in public with my fly down. ?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
what other vehicle in this class has a powered charge port door other than Tesla?
Leaf isn’t powered but pops open when released from inside out using the fob.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The mechanism on the Lightning and Transit is much more positive. Get ready for the "I can't get my charge door open!" posts when those come out.

Ford clearly has a sense of humor. "You want the charge door to stay shut? We will hook you up." :)

#FordListens

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Charge door on my 2013 LEAF was more substantial. Felt like a much more engineered piece of equipment. My biggest gripe with this one is the will it, won't it actually close game in the morning. Sometimes it catches, others it doesn't. Feels cheaper then most gas doors on entry level cars.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I would have liked it to swivel out of the way. Too easy for this design to hit fender.

Ours opened once while driving on the highway. Exited, and closed it.
Sponsored