RosarioM

First Name
Rosario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GT
Country flag
Don’t get me wrong I love my car and it’s WAY more speed than I need but a question keeps nagging at me. Why didn’t Ford do everything they could to make the GTPE outperform the Model Y performance? Clearly the Mach e was Fords answer to Tesla. There was a good year between the regular Mach e and the GT and the performance of the model Y was well documented and a known target. Why not figure out a way to make the PE even slightly faster? If I was a Ford executive I would have constantly asked this question.

For example, for the PE owners here, would you sacrifice 20 miles of range if your car was faster than a model Y by 1 second 0 to 60?
Sponsored

Psalm139

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Abarth 124
Country flag
I think they tried. It has a lot of power and a much bigger battery to draw from.
They could have made it lighter, but that would have made it a bit more spartan like the Tesla.
They also don't have as good battery tech as Tesla. Ford is very careful to not overheat the batteries or let them die prematurely. Tesla is a bit more cavalier in this regard.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
My GT has more passenger space, more tech and safety options I can utilize (bluecruise, Android Auto, Homelink, Blind spot monitoring in mirrors, speedo in front of me), cost less, doesn't have phantom braking issues using cruise control and looks way better than a MYP, which is a vehicle from a well established and comparatively mature EV manufacturer.

Can't win em all.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
They also don't have as good battery tech as Tesla. Ford is very careful to not overheat the batteries or let them die prematurely. Tesla is a bit more cavalier in this regard.
I don’t think it’s the battery that is the limiting factor. Instead, it seems that the high voltage systems on the MME are not able to handle sustained max current loads for very long.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Don’t get me wrong I love my car and it’s WAY more speed than I need but a question keeps nagging at me. Why didn’t Ford do everything they could to make the GTPE outperform the Model Y performance? Clearly the Mach e was Fords answer to Tesla. There was a good year between the regular Mach e and the GT and the performance of the model Y was well documented and a known target. Why not figure out a way to make the PE even slightly faster? If I was a Ford executive I would have constantly asked this question.

For example, for the PE owners here, would you sacrifice 20 miles of range if your car was faster than a model Y by 1 second 0 to 60?
simple answer is $$$$ and Tech.

Model Y performance is already a 3.5sec 0-60 car. To get a MachE to 2.5secs would require a lot more money. We're talking hypercar territory here. Even the Model S plaid "only" does 2.5sec 0-60 if not in launch mode. And that car has 3 motors and over 1000 hp.

Further more, Tesla is way ahead in the battery and motor department. They have about a 10 year head start on Ford. Ford can't even keep the car on full power for 6 secs or keep full power when going above 72mph. That's just plain sad. But hopefully the tech will get better over time.

Personally I would rather have a 0-60 in 4sec if we didn't have a 5 sec limit.

Fyi, I have two dogs in this fight. I have a Tesla Model Y (acceleration boost LR. Does 0-60 in 4 secs) and a Mache GTPE (picking up in 2 days. Car came in 1 month early.)

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag

Agreed. It’s surprising given Ford’s competitive nature (Mustang vs. Camaro; Ford vs. Ferrari) that Ron Heiser/Dave Pericak/Jim Farley would release a product to directly compete against Model Y Performance and have it come up short on every performance metric.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I will never go to a track and go head to head against a MYP. The thing is, my Tesla-owning friends have gotten the best of me and I can’t argue otherwise. There’s so much to love about my GT and kudos to Ford’s marketing department for selling the dream. I just wish I wasn’t left to brag about panel gaps.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
No matter how fast your car is....there always is someone else faster.
If someone wants fast, look at the Lucid Air. 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, 1000 hp, 400 miles range. Oh yes, $139,000 MSRP and $20,000 ADM, if you can find one.
There’s always someone faster.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
My GT has more passenger space, more tech and safety options I can utilize (bluecruise, Android Auto, Homelink, Blind spot monitoring in mirrors, speedo in front of me), cost less, doesn't have phantom braking issues using cruise control and looks way better than a MYP, which is a vehicle from a well established and comparatively mature EV manufacturer.

Can't win em all.
Agreed that Mache looks better. But I have grown to like the Model Y.
Base autopilot that come standard on all tesla is equivalent if not superior to Bluecruise.
Both cost about the same when optioned out and factoring in the 7500 rebate.
Agree on Carplay and Android. Tesla's tune in is hot garbage.
I can only speak from personal experience, but I get phantom braking about once every 6 months at most. So not exactly a deal breaker.
Tesla is a 5 star for crash safety so I'm not sure what Mache is, but cant get better.
Homelink is an option on tesla and it's implemented better. Operates by GPS.

So yeah. You just got to accept the short coming of whatever car you get, and don't look back. There will always be better. Hell, in a year Ford may get rid of the 5 sec limit, but only for new cars. How much will that piss you off?

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Tesla people think performance means going fast in a straight line. They also came from the Prius.

If that’s what they think makes driving fun and engaging, then I don’t want to be a part of that.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Agreed. It’s surprising given Ford’s competitive nature (Mustang vs. Camaro; Ford vs. Ferrari) that Ron Heiser/Dave Pericak/Jim Farley would release a product to directly compete against Model Y Performance and have it come up short on every performance metric.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I will never go to a track and go head to head against a MYP. The thing is, my Tesla-owning friends have gotten the best of me and I can’t argue otherwise. There’s so much to love about my GT and kudos to Ford’s marketing department for selling the dream. I just wish I wasn’t left to brag about panel gaps.
I literally don’t know why speed is the only factor people care about.

OP
OP
RosarioM

RosarioM

First Name
Rosario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GT
Country flag

This is what I mean. They have the balls to call an SUV a Mustang and then don’t go the extra step of making a hero car. Even if it’s a special version of the PE like a GT 500 equivalent. Maybe that’s in the works but they should have announced it by now I would think.

I don’t buy the idea that Tesla is sooo ahead with the battery tech. If that was the case, then why is the PE already so close to the model Y in its very first year? Hopefully this wasn’t the case of accountants getting involved. Accountants didn’t make the cars like the LFA.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Agreed that Mache looks better. But I have grown to like the Model Y.
Base autopilot that come standard on all tesla is equivalent if not superior to Bluecruise.
Both cost about the same when optioned out and factoring in the 7500 rebate.
Agree on Carplay and Android. Tesla's tune in is hot garbage.
I can only speak from personal experience, but I get phantom braking about once every 6 months at most. So not exactly a deal breaker.
Tesla is a 5 star for crash safety so I'm not sure what Mache is, but cant get better.
Homelink is an option on tesla and it's implemented better. Operates by GPS.

So yeah. You just got to accept the short coming of whatever car you get, and don't look back. There will always be better. Hell, in a year Ford may get rid of the 5 sec limit, but only for new cars. How much will that piss you off?
Teslas are also allergenic to quality paint, 360 cameras, and well-made interiors…and exteriors.
Sponsored