Why isn’t it faster than the model Y?

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
I don't get that they are hostile over there. I feel that this forum is more defensive. There are tons of threads on pre-inspections, what to do if you find problems, common problems and solutions. Some members have had issues most have been helpful. I don't remember a lot of "why did you buy your tesla then, just sell it."

They are definitely Tesla as expected, but Not as anti other manufacture as this forum seems to be. I'm new to ford (Only other ford in my family was a Ford Probe 25 years ago.) But it may just be that FORD people are used to type of rivalry with GM and that attitude just shifted to a new competitor.
You hit it on the head…a lot of, shall we say, “old guard” type car guys here too haha.
But it does seem the Tesla guys are aggressive in their own way. I feel like Ive had a few angry looks from Tesla people just for owning an electric car that’s not made by Elon.
Sponsored

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag

Reactions: ARK

Bmr4MachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext ordered Feb 2022
Country flag
The MME would be faster than the Y if Ford could installed an electrical system that could sustain high current draw without worrying about failure. Peak power much higher for the MME.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Don’t get me wrong I love my car and it’s WAY more speed than I need but a question keeps nagging at me. Why didn’t Ford do everything they could to make the GTPE outperform the Model Y performance? Clearly the Mach e was Fords answer to Tesla. There was a good year between the regular Mach e and the GT and the performance of the model Y was well documented and a known target. Why not figure out a way to make the PE even slightly faster? If I was a Ford executive I would have constantly asked this question.

For example, for the PE owners here, would you sacrifice 20 miles of range if your car was faster than a model Y by 1 second 0 to 60?
A few things worth noting:

1. I don’t think you realize what it takes to be “1 second faster.” We would need literally DOUBLE the horsepower (close to 1000 hp) to make that happen. If talking about being 0.1 second faster, the issue is weight. We weigh 500 lbs more.

2. You’re talking about 0-60. We already beat them off the line to about 40 mph (there’s a video). The issue comes around 75 mph where we fall on our face and they blow past.

3. Ford doesn’t seem to put much effort in being the “fastest” with direct competitors. The Mustang GT always seems to be a step behind the equivalent Camaro going all the way back to the 60’s.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
You hit it on the head…a lot of, shall we say, “old guard” type car guys here too haha.
But it does seem the Tesla guys are aggressive in their own way. I feel like Ive had a few angry looks from Tesla people just for owning an electric car that’s not made by Elon.
You sure they're not just checking out the new car? I know I just to check out the mache in my Model Y when it drove by. Partly because it was new and I'm a car guy, but also because it was on my radar, and I had one on order and wanted to see what it looked like in person.

In SoCal, Tesla are as common as Camrys. literally. So you're going to get a few that are snobs, but the vast majority just go about their daily life not caring that they drive a tesla. For them its just another appliance that you don't have to fill up every few days. (That's how my wife treats the tesla. She could care less that it was as fast 0-60 as my 911).

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You sure they're not just checking out the new car? I know I just to check out the mache in my Model Y when it drove by. Partly because it was new and I'm a car guy, but also because it was on my radar, and I had one on order and wanted to see what it looked like in person.

In SoCal, Tesla are as common as Camrys. literally. So you're going to get a few that are snobs, but the vast majority just go about their daily life not caring that they drive a tesla. For them its just another appliance that you don't have to fill up every few days. (That's how my wife treats the tesla. She could care less that it was as fast 0-60 as my 911).
I can usually tell the difference between a scowl and the genuine car people, with whom I’ll chat all day…and like you said, there aren’t many people driving Teslas who are car people, it seems.
That was another reason I didn’t want to go for a Tesla, just too common now, even where I am. But that’s at least proof Tesla is doing something right.
And if you have a 911, why wouldn’t you go for the Taycan over the Y or GTPE?! Heard it handles like a proper Porsche.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Everyone has different reasons for buying a GTPE.

I want the adjustable suspension and prefer the Mach-E overall (safety features, handling, BC) to the Model Y so that's why I will be accepting my GTPE (build date: 4/18) over the Premium AWD ER.

What I don't want is a relatively inefficient EV become even more INEFFICIENT just to win some dick measuring competition. I would prefer them to use lighter components, less powerful (kW) motors but hit 4 seconds.

• Wow

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
I can usually tell the difference between a scowl and the genuine car people, with whom I’ll chat all day…and like you said, there aren’t many people driving Teslas who are car people, it seems.
That was another reason I didn’t want to go for a Tesla, just too common now, even where I am. But that’s at least proof Tesla is doing something right.
And if you have a 911, why wouldn’t you go for the Taycan over the Y or GTPE?! Heard it handles like a proper Porsche.
Have you seen the Porsche order options? Lane change is not standard, that be $1000 please. Want color center caps? $500. Color seat belt, $500. Extended leather, $4000+. some color options are $4000+. Custom color is 15K. And that's just the start. Its great that you can customize the car, but once you even lightly option the car, its a $120-130k. Just not worth it.

I'm not sure if you have ever dealt with porsche, but you just don't go on their website and order a porsche. You have to find a dealer with an "allocation" that will graciously allow you to order one. Some friends had to pay an ADM of 10k just to order one. Its a whole other ball game..

I sold the 911 a few months ago. Had it for 5 years, actually sold it for more than I paid for it. Used market is crazy right now.

Chicago-E

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE Iconic Silver, 2021 GTPE Space White
Occupation
Generator Technician
Country flag
I don't get that they are hostile over there. I feel that this forum is more defensive. There are tons of threads on pre-inspections, what to do if you find problems, common problems and solutions. Some members have had issues most have been helpful. I don't remember a lot of "why did you buy your tesla then, just sell it."

They are definitely Tesla as expected, but Not as anti other manufacture as this forum seems to be. I'm new to ford (Only other ford in my family was a Ford Probe 25 years ago.) But it may just be that FORD people are used to type of rivalry with GM and that attitude just shifted to a new competitor.
They are definitely hostile on the Tesla forums. They really attack people who make complaints and outright deny what someone is complaining about is actually in issue. check out phantom breaking and heat pump post in particular. To them there is Tesla and every thing else is junk. The defense of no CarPlay of android auto is also quite comical. Meanwhile I have a model 3 on order. undecided if I will accept the order or not.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you seen the Porsche order options? Lane change is not standard, that be $1000 please. Want color center caps? $500. Color seat belt, $500. Extended leather, $4000+. some color options are $4000+. Custom color is 15K. And that's just the start. Its great that you can customize the car, but once you even lightly option the car, its a $120-130k. Just not worth it.

I'm not sure if you have ever dealt with porsche, but you just don't go on their website and order a porsche. You have to find a dealer with an "allocation" that will graciously allow you to order one. Some friends had to pay an ADM of 10k just to order one. Its a whole other ball game..

I sold the 911 a few months ago. Had it for 5 years, actually sold it for more than I paid for it. Used market is crazy right now.
You’re very right. I’ve tried to build even the base RWD Taycan just to see if it’s even in the realm of possibility and my God, the $$$ go up so fast. A lot of the Germans are like that about options, but Porsche is the worst offender of all.

OP
OP
RosarioM

RosarioM

First Name
Rosario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GT
Country flag
A few things worth noting:

1. I don’t think you realize what it takes to be “1 second faster.” We would need literally DOUBLE the horsepower (close to 1000 hp) to make that happen. If talking about being 0.1 second faster, the issue is weight. We weigh 500 lbs more.

2. You’re talking about 0-60. We already beat them off the line to about 40 mph (there’s a video). The issue comes around 75 mph where we fall on our face and they blow past.

3. Ford doesn’t seem to put much effort in being the “fastest” with direct competitors. The Mustang GT always seems to be a step behind the equivalent Camaro going all the way back to the 60’s.
1. You’re right I did exaggerate with 1 second but certainly the aim should be .1 faster or just as fast. I’m terms of weight, we are talking about a hero car you can buy. They could have found places to lose weight if they were willing to sacrifice convenience and range. Again not a car most people will buy but the car people will aspire to own.

2. This exactly. This needs to be the case up until 60. Yes a meaningless benchmark but the It’s the standard and non-car person’s method of measuring “fast”. So while it’s meaningless it’s also important.

3. I agree but I think they were trying to make a statement with the Mach e. Calling it a Mustang, while mimicking or even copying some Tesla features (large center screen). Seems like they would want to go all the way and really draw a line in the sand. Think Ford vs Ferrari and the GTO.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
1. You’re right I did exaggerate with 1 second but certainly the aim should be .1 faster or just as fast. I’m terms of weight, we are talking about a hero car you can buy. They could have found places to lose weight if they were willing to sacrifice convenience and range. Again not a car most people will buy but the car people will aspire to own.

2. This exactly. This needs to be the case up until 60. Yes a meaningless benchmark but the It’s the standard and non-car person’s method of measuring “fast”. So while it’s meaningless it’s also important.

3. I agree but I think they were trying to make a statement with the Mach e. Calling it a Mustang, while mimicking or even copying some Tesla features (large center screen). Seems like they would want to go all the way and really draw a line in the sand. Think Ford vs Ferrari and the GTO.
FWIW, they DID make a statement with the GTPE.

It’s faster to 60 mph than any Mustang GT…… ever.

It outhandles and outbrakes the Y performance.

It outhandles and outbrakes “almost” every Mustang GT….. ever. (Only the most recent Mustang GT with the upgraded performance package beats our .99 G and 106 ft 60-0 braking).

Plus it’s good looking.

Yes, I want them to fix the 5 second limit. But even if they do, it’ll still be slightly slower than a Y performance, but still faster than any Mustang GT.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
The issue is battery longevity, which is not known yet for this battery. Same reason the charge rate after 80% was low up until recently. It would be a worse situation to have batteries failing or catching fire, so their safety factor appears to be very high. Over time they could get more data to see if they can make changes, as with the charging rate past 80% which was more recently updated.

OP
OP
RosarioM

RosarioM

First Name
Rosario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GT
Country flag
FWIW, they DID make a statement with the GTPE.

It’s faster to 60 mph than any Mustang GT…… ever.

It outhandles and outbrakes the Y performance.

It outhandles and outbrakes “almost” every Mustang GT….. ever. (Only the most recent Mustang GT with the upgraded performance package beats our .99 G and 106 ft 60-0 braking).

Plus it’s good looking.

Yes, I want them to fix the 5 second limit. But even if they do, it’ll still be slightly slower than a Y performance, but still faster than any Mustang GT.
I agree with everything you’re saying. I just hate the fact that Tesla people can point to a 0 - 60 stat and say their car is faster… maybe it’s just me.
Sponsored