Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Ok, what value is the below at all? Here’s the scenario: two friends and I were out to dinner. One in the front passenger seat and one in the rear seat. I’m driving home, come to a complete stop, let my two passengers out, and continue on my way. Why is Ford cluttering up my instrument panel with information about non-existent passengers?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Why? Just … why? 304412F9-533E-4857-86F9-BAB16F81CBE8
Sponsored

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I’m guessing it thinks the passenger is still there but the belt is not latched? Probably a seat sensor not working or another software glitch.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
You can disable that I think.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Yeah, it's a bug. One of many. Press OK and relax.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Even more fun: If the rear passenger uses the wrong buckle the car will get really confused.

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
Our Toyota van does the same thing. If one of the kids unbuckles to change seats, the van has a fit and begins to beep. Only way to stop it is to put the vehicle in park, so in this case pressing the OK button in the Mach-E seems better.

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Yeah, it's a bug. One of many. Press OK and relax.
Not a BUG its a menu selectable warning. Children can get left behind so they warn you. It can be disabled.
Our Expedition had it as well but never saw a place to disable as you can in Mach E

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Not a BUG its a menu selectable warning. Children can get left behind so they warn you. It can be disabled.
Our Expedition had it as well but never saw a place to disable as you can in Mach E
This is not the backseat occupant reminder that's user selectable. This is the rear seatbelt warning. I believe it's working on the logic that a seatbelt was buckled and now isn't rather than using weight sensors like it does for the front seats.

MG101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
a car
Country flag
The front passenger seat has on occupant detection sensor in the cussion so it knows there is no one there so it doesn't give you the warning. There is no occupant detection sensors in the rear seats so the car has no idea if the door opening means the person got out or not. All it knows is that the belt was buckled and now its not so it throws the warning.
Just hit ok...it will be ok...

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
This is not the backseat occupant reminder that's user selectable. This is the rear seatbelt warning. I believe it's working on the logic that a seatbelt was buckled and now isn't rather than using weight sensors like it does for the front seats.
The reason for the warning is the same. Children get left behind or get unbuckled. Government safety regulations for all of these notices for front or back.
I noticed a menu option recently and thought you could disable it. I didn't verify because I have kids and want them to buckle up.
As posted just select OK to move on.

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
I love that feature, although our backseat is always full of small kids, who unbuckle when they arent supposed to. One of the coolest features I feel.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
First, thanks for the different comments and explanations - I really appreciate it.
Second, to the “Press OK and chill” responses - yep, I knew I could do that. My question was along the lines of “why does Ford consider this to be so important that they’re expending lots of screen real estate and a warning dialog for it?” 🙂
The most plausible answer seems to be “they can’t detect whether a rear seat is occupied - they can only detect that a rear seat belt was fastened, then unfastened, so they’re presenting the dialog out of an abundance of caution.”
That answer will be very easy to test. The next time I take the car, I will fasten a rear seat belt without anyone in the seat. I will pull over a few minutes later, reach back, open a rear door from the inside, then unbuckle the seat belt. If it occurs, then we know whats going and why.

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag
From my experience, this notification will pop up if your rear passenger unbuckles his/her seatbelt before you come to a stop.

As to why it's there, I'm sure there are plenty of parents who like this feature for knowing when their kids are unbuckling their seat belts.
Sponsored