Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
#1 Build Quality
#2 Aesthetics

But I will take exception to all the Anti-Musk content. We would not even have this option with out him!!! I'm unsure why he is so despised? Guy is an Entrepreneur who is also concerned about the planet and the human race. Is he difficult to work for?? Probably, but I bet 99% of all ultra successful CEO's of large companies are. That is what makes them different/successful. Just my opinion; your welcome to your own!!!
Sponsored

Msnwcpa

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mme ordered, Lexus hybrid, Toyota hybrid
Occupation
IT
Love the MME styling, my 2022 DMG was a real beauty.

Now waiting to take delivery of Tesla MY. I found the ride quality to be better. The MY is practically 6k cheaper + has full tax rebate.

Will be placing the order for 2024 MME soon as well. Hopefully they'll bring back the DMG.

The big difference I noticed is glass roof in Tesla MY seems be cool to touch in summer. The windshield in MY is not IRR. Where as the MME it's the opposite.

Build quality of MY looks questionable. So depending on when it's delivered I might have to walk away and lose $250.

Rotmeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
1. Autopilot was way too aggressive for me. I was getting max 2-second following distance, vs. the 4 seconds I can get on BlueCruise. If a robot's gonna be driving, I want all the response time I can get.
2. No 360 view.
3. No front cluster display.
4. More deceptive marketing.
5. No hands-free mode (at the time).
6. Worse build quality. Software is being upgraded, but you're stuck with the car forever.
7. And yeah, I really hate the styling of the Y, and love the Mach-E, but that's very subjective.

sherl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus
Country flag
Simple: It's much easier to fix poor software than it is to fix poor build quality.

I think I have a very good reason to discredit this. I have worked in one the companies that's being discussed and I possess degree in MechE and CompSci. It's not always possible to address hardware problems with software and vice versa. If you have a bad design layout, a software fix will not work not matter what.
The hardware can be cameras as well as the processor within the touchscreen itself. Or ECU of the car. So if Ford wants to refine software, it's possible they are impede by the hardware decisions they made.
So just evaluate both purchases based on the present setting and how well they performed from the past.

Tesla builds cars around software wherever Ford bulds software around cars. Both are trying to close the gap in the other direction but you can clearly feel the lacking and refinement in each of them.

It boils down to the fact, what are you willing to compromise on your purchase.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I just can't imagine how much money both Elon Musk and the Pillow guy lost because of their inability to leave Politics out of their business. I run and operate a business and I am fully aware that if you "advertise" your political views along side your product, you are at best going to please 50% of the potential customers you are wanting and alienate the other 50%.

Yes, without Elon the EV would not be as advanced. That still doesn't change the fact that half the people on the Planet of not liking him (which is amazing on an EV thread/forum as well). That should tell you everything. ;)
60/40, but I get your point :cool:

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Love the MME styling, my 2022 DMG was a real beauty.

Now waiting to take delivery of Tesla MY. I found the ride quality to be better. The MY is practically 6k cheaper + has full tax rebate.

Will be placing the order for 2024 MME soon as well. Hopefully they'll bring back the DMG.

The big difference I noticed is glass roof in Tesla MY seems be cool to touch in summer. The windshield in MY is not IRR. Where as the MME it's the opposite.

Build quality of MY looks questionable. So depending on when it's delivered I might have to walk away and lose $250.
You can find out where it’s made on http://tesla-info.com/. I’d try to get one from Fremont given the plant has been operating longer. Additionally, lots of discounted inventory vehicles available.

Bobbyg813

First Name
BG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Select
Country flag
it's all on the screen and the steering wheel dials
except that once you set your preferences for mirrors, seat position, HVAC, etc. they are saved in your profile in the cloud, so when you drive any tesla anywhere on earth, you will automatically have your saved settings available. No need to adjust anything.

Also hvac, seat, mirror settings automatically adjust to whoever unlocks the car… you can have up to six profiles saved. It’s literally set once, and forget. Any changes you make to the settings can be automatically saved to your profile in the cloud.

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
except that once you set your preferences for mirrors, seat position, HVAC, etc. they are saved in your profile in the cloud, so when you drive any tesla anywhere on earth, you will automatically have your saved settings available. No need to adjust anything.

Also hvac, seat, mirror settings automatically adjust to whoever unlocks the car… you can have up to six profiles saved. It’s literally set once, and forget. Any changes you make to the settings can be automatically saved to your profile in the cloud.
That is nice, but on occasion I shift in my seat, maybe move the seat a bit, or on the highway adjust the mirrors a touch. Wearing a winter coat moves my position, other factors. So being able to reach over and adjust my mirror with muscle memory is nice.

Also when others use my car (wife, parents, sister...) they know where the controls are.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I've driven a Tesla for the last 6 years. It is not an Elon Musk. Similarly I do not squeeze the CEO of Proctor and Gamble onto my toothbrush every morning; I instead consume the toothpaste manufactured by that company.
Gotta ask you - does the CEO of P&G spend a great deal of effort making their public persona known by everyone? Do they get on a soapbox and make pronouncements designed to agitate? I don't even know who the CEO of P&G is, which is a testament to their intelligence.

P&G has hundreds of products. Tesla has one, cars (yes, P&G may have many brands of toothpaste, or laundry detergent, so sure, count those as one each, they still are in a huge number of product categories.

If the CEO of any company spends effort drawing attention to themselves, as someone else stated they should plan on alienating 1/2 of the population. I agree that Musk has probably done that to 60 or 70% of the population...

Then he bought Twitter and has basically destroyed $44B of "value", i.e. his investment. Like sitting around a campfire burning money, and each day he adds more fuel to fire.

He may be a genius, but he does stupid things. And, doesn't care, because money doesn't matter anymore, just attention.

LNFitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Saddle Fitter…and yes, have worked with Mustangs
Country flag
Grew up in Motown and swore that I would buy American one day. Saw an unbadged MMe in my neighborhood one day and when I figured out what it was, test drove one. Sold!

MMe is exactly everything I want in a car.

As for Tesla, was waiting (and waiting) for promised models and the longer I waited the less I wanted to buy one.

Msnwcpa

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mme ordered, Lexus hybrid, Toyota hybrid
Occupation
IT
I think I have a very good reason to discredit this. I have worked in one the companies that's being discussed and I possess degree in MechE and CompSci. It's not always possible to address hardware problems with software and vice versa. If you have a bad design layout, a software fix will not work not matter what.
The hardware can be cameras as well as the processor within the touchscreen itself. Or ECU of the car. So if Ford wants to refine software, it's possible they are impede by the hardware decisions they made.
So just evaluate both purchases based on the present setting and how well they performed from the past.

Tesla builds cars around software wherever Ford bulds software around cars. Both are trying to close the gap in the other direction but you can clearly feel the lacking and refinement in each of them.

It boils down to the fact, what are you willing to compromise on your purchase.

Did not know that Tesla stores profiles in the cloud, thats cool. With MME, every other day it would switch to my wife's profile even though she was no where near by. It was as if she was in control of my car as well 😂

I just found out that 2023 LR AWD MY (52k) costs $230/6 months more to insure than a MME premium AWD ER (58K)

crownmountain

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 2WD ER, 2022 MINI Cooper S EV
Occupation
Industrial network architect
Country flag
in order of most to least important, some of which no longer apply
  1. musk's control of the company is an ethical risk to me, which is a personal opinion. however, it is also objectively a business risk when one person (particularly one of this personality) has so much control. it risks the brand's reputation, long term viability, etc for a company that has not stood the test of time in the first place
  2. no carplay/android auto
  3. build quality concerns. i'm told this has gotten better, though i'm still not a fan of the touch and feel, maybe gets into #5
  4. no dash display and the only screen is horizontal which i believe is the wrong orientation
  5. design is not my style, not only aesthetically but often different from ICE for virtually no reason. i wanted to be able to switch back and forth between ICE and EV with ease and not get into an accident because i forgot which one i was in
  6. mach e was cheaper than model y [retrospect: i think this is no longer true at the current rebate situation, i bought in 2021 where the y cost 10k-15k more]
  7. servicing concerns (proximity of servicing centers, lack of appointment availability). [retrospect: my experience w/ ford servicing has been extremely poor. tons of dealers but all the ones near me are shady and inexperienced. with full hindsight i would not consider this an advantage for ford anymore]
overall i'd strongly consider the tesla Y if i were shopping today with full knowledge of what i know now. i don't think it'd pay extra $ for the mach e based on any of the above, so would have to make the economics work
For all those reasons and some others I went with the Mach-E. they are just made better. A friend of mine has 2 Tesla's both were sketchy from a build quality.

NoMoPetrol

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013Tesla Model S, 2017 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Gotta ask you - does the CEO of P&G spend a great deal of effort making their public persona known by everyone? Do they get on a soapbox and make pronouncements designed to agitate? I don't even know who the CEO of P&G is, which is a testament to their intelligence.

P&G has hundreds of products. Tesla has one, cars (yes, P&G may have many brands of toothpaste, or laundry detergent, so sure, count those as one each, they still are in a huge number of product categories.

If the CEO of any company spends effort drawing attention to themselves, as someone else stated they should plan on alienating 1/2 of the population. I agree that Musk has probably done that to 60 or 70% of the population...

Then he bought Twitter and has basically destroyed $44B of "value", i.e. his investment. Like sitting around a campfire burning money, and each day he adds more fuel to fire.

He may be a genius, but he does stupid things. And, doesn't care, because money doesn't matter anymore, just attention.
So, did anyone know who was CEO of, or on the Board of, Purdue Pharma 15 years ago? They were very quietly playing the socially appropriate game of staying out of the news while creating the biggest legal opioid addiction problem in at least 100 years. Meanwhile the Tesla CEO's warts are front and center with no surprises lurking in the shadows.

So Proctor & Gamble's anonymity doesn't particularly impress me as a superior way to do business.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
So, did anyone know who was CEO of, or on the Board of, Purdue Pharma 15 years ago? They were very quietly playing the socially appropriate game of staying out of the news while creating the biggest legal opioid addiction problem in at least 100 years. Meanwhile the Tesla CEO's warts are front and center with no surprises lurking in the shadows.

So Proctor & Gamble's anonymity doesn't particularly impress me as a superior way to do business.
Who said it was superior? All I said was IF you decide to become part of the conversation, you're going to alienate 1/2 the population. I don't buy P&G products because I don't see their CEO in the news, it's the opposite - I don't NOT BUY their products because I don't see their CEO in the news.

Some years ago a client was considering using a celebrity endorser. I said "think very carefully of the potential downside". He said "what downside, everyone loves her". My response was "she has brothers, she has parents, she could get drunk... What lift are we going to get in sales vs. what risk do we have?"

In did it anyway. Months later, brother and father got into it. Father died. Brother was convicted of assault, in death of father. Oops.

Lots of risk. Not a lot of reward.

Musk chooses to be in the limelight. Warts and all. So when his warts cause people to not buy, it's his fault. When he buys a company for $44B and destroys it AND IT IMPACTS people's view of his other companies, it's his fault.

Bobbyg813

First Name
BG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Select
Country flag
Did not know that Tesla stores profiles in the cloud, thats cool. With MME, every other day it would switch to my wife's profile even though she was no where near by. It was as if she was in control of my car as well 😂

I just found out that 2023 LR AWD MY (52k) costs $230/6 months more to insure than a MME premium AWD ER (58K)
Re: Insurance... check out Tesla insurance (https://www.tesla.com/insurance) if it's offered in your state-
  • Arizona
  • Colorado
  • Illinois
  • Maryland
  • Minnesota
  • Nevada
  • Ohio
  • Oregon
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Virginia
I saved $600 per year over Geico when I bought my Tesla.
Sponsored