First Name
J
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicles
2021 GT reserved
Country flag
To avoid any ugliness with ADM, why not offer X-plan to anyone who preorders? The X-plan price can be $5 off MSRP or something trivial, but would reduce uncertainty for preorders.

Buyers cross-shopping a Model Y already expect fixed pricing and that’s probably the best way to approximate it with a dealer network.

Someday, dealers will get allocations of vehicles and can wheel and deal all they want. But for preorders, they’re basically just a delivery drop-off point.

Not to say x-plan guarantees a problem-free deal, since I was using it while buying a 2001 GT and had a salesman and his “manager” throw the keys to our potential trade-in on the table and storm out the office for not taking a bad deal, leaving us to find our own way out of the closing dealership. It was kind of cool to see the room where they stored all they keys to every car on the lot though. We ended up buying through the fleet department and I learned my lesson not to talk to regular sales staff.

ejss

First Name
Erik
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It would be nice to see A/X/Z plan buyers not get screwed over by dealers. You know, respect the people whose families work for their company. I, for one, haven't had to deal with ADM before in my area, but I also haven't ever bought a car as upper echelon as this (brand new Mazdaspeed 3 was the closest, which is still half the price of the GT). There are plenty of Ford dealers in the KC area, and the one I chose, my in-laws have given them plenty of business. So hopefully I won't run into that issue.

malba2366

Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5
Country flag
Looks like they have made the dealers agree to maintain MSRP initially. I think they are trying to match the Tesla sales process as closely as they can so that they don't alienate buyers with dealership games.

RobB

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicles
Suburban, 66 Skylark
Occupation
Filmmaker, Video Freelancer
Country flag
Looks like they have made the dealers agree to maintain MSRP initially. I think they are trying to match the Tesla sales process as closely as they can so that they don't alienate buyers with dealership games.
Smart move!

Advertisement