OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I can't imagine Ford offering any replacement battery technology different than today at any time. If they did, it would far exceed any cost from third parties.
Sponsored

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I own a 2007 Toyota Avalon that never gave me any trouble and still runs like when new, thus a keeper. I do plan to keep the MME GT for a long time as well, and as technology evolves I wonder that if 8 to 10 years from now third party vendors, or maybe even Ford may offer Solid State replacement batteries that may even triple or quadruple the range. That would be worth replacing.
solid state Li is def the next step.... I'd hope for them to hit the market in 2-3 years, and be available for 'repackaging' as replacement/upgrade packs for the MME battery pack in 5. You could either go for more range in the same space, or same range in less space, lower cost, and lighter weight.

BilLongua

First Name
Bil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting on 2021 MME GT
Occupation
Marketing
Country flag
Some of us are older, and have owned many cars over the years. For many of us, a standard ownership period was maybe 8 - 10 years, sometimes more, the idea of running the vehicle into the ground. We did that with many, but not all, of our vehicles. Traded in an old minivan during Cash for Clunkers in 2009, traded in a 15 year old Explorer to buy our 2013 F-150.

Decisions were easier. Am I happy with the vehicle's repair costs, operating costs, and appearance? Do I have the yearn for something new? And maybe, just maybe, is there some "new thing" that I have to have?

Now, with technology rapidly changing, that timeframe for many of us is going to get much shorter. I was already planning a new strategy as we entered retirement of owning new vehicles every few years, especially as we have access to Ford's A-Plan. The current market had me thinking of accelerating that, because of the combination of driving a newer vehicle coupled with making thousands in profits.

In our 8 months of charging experience, we came upon more than a handful of older Level 2 chargers, barely capable of charging the Mach-E from 10% to 100% overnight, such as at a hotel. We also realized that often it's not worth the trouble of finding a slower level 2 charger if you're only going to be somewhere for an hour or so. One hotel's level 2 charger was inoperative, while their Tesla charger might have worked (no Tesla Tap in our trunk yet). A semi-regular destination hotel has a few Level 2 chargers, upgraded after we stayed there in 2019 and had issues with their obsolete chargers. They put in new chargers which we discovered when we returned in 2021. Sounds great, right? Except they are only 5.3kW. Plugging in at 10% didn't give us a full charge by morning.

This was recently reinforced as we plan a trip to a state park with our son and his family, and decide whether to take the Mach-E or the F-150. Considered cost, considered time to get there (11 hour trip, with stops, in F-150, add at least 2 hours with the Mach-E). Then I started looking at charging opportunities at the destination. There's several DC chargers within 30 minutes or less, but the park has an EV charger. That's where PlugShare comes in, and I realize that the charger is a Level 1 charger, putting out a whopping 1.8kW of pure, raw power powered by 120v. Do the math - with a 10% loss in efficiency, that's 1.62kW. Take the 88kW battery, arrive with 20%, and go to 100% to leave. 88 x .8 = 70.4. 70.4 / 1.62 = 43.5 hours. Even if I didn't need the car every day, hogging the charger for 2 full days is pretty rude.

Luckily the campground has many RV sites, each with a nice 50 amp 14-50 outlet. I've gotten them to agree to let us use one as long as they have one open, even though we're going to be in a cabin. We'll use the portable charger and charge up overnight.

This reinforces to make sure you review your planned stops in PlugShare, and always check with your lodging destination as to what chargers exist, whether they operate, and what speed they operate at. Make sure you talk to someone knowledgeable (took us 4 attempts via email to get actual facts from the park office).

Technology is rapidly changing. Batteries, charging speeds, navigation and driving aids. The model of driving a vehicle into the ground is going to change for many as they realize they can cut a trip's duration significantly and charge less often in the years to come. I'm thinking we'll carefully watch technology for the next few years, and dump any current technology EV once the range doubles or the charging speed halves, or both.
I’m more impressed with all that stuff that you went EV! Good on ya. I’m usually in a new car every 36 months anyway. This Mustang was so effing expensive (with no real lease option), that I may be tied to this car for 6 years. Which is almost impossible for me to imagine. But I’m all in. Hoping in 4-5 years time new battery tech will allow for range leaps. I’ll also hand this car down to the wife probably and get a Rivian or electric Avalanche (aka Silverado). Hopefully I’ll win the lottery by then to afford all this shit.
Sponsored