Why the Mustang Mach E is better than the Tesla Model Y

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
i was just pointing this out for people in cold weather. it took 50 miles of range to heat the car for 10 to 15 minutes. that's a lot. We will see what the mache is like soon.
Well... That doesn't seem right.

Neither my 2018 Model 3 using a resistive heater nor my 2020 Model Y with a Heat pump have used any where near 50 miles of range to warm to 75F in 0 degree winter. Only took 8 minutes in both cases.

YouTube isn't always truth and I hopeful the Mach-E does well for pre-heating.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Well... That doesn't seem right.

Neither my 2018 Model 3 using a resistive heater nor my 2020 Model Y with a Heat pump have used any where near 50 miles of range to warm to 75F in 0 degree winter. Only took 8 minutes in both cases.

YouTube isn't always truth....
i don't know and you might be right only go off what he said his did.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
i was just pointing this out for people in cold weather. it took 50 miles of range to heat the car for 10 to 15 minutes. that's a lot. We will see what the mache is like soon.
According to Darren Palmer:
"Time spent getting into a cold car - nil"

Ford Mustang Mach-E Why the Mustang Mach E is better than the Tesla Model Y 1611517067839

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
My personal results with the 18" Aero wheel covers are a 3.5% range improvement. In a recent range test I did for my Podcast (https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/lifewithmiddie/episodes/2020-09-11T07_31_58-07_00), I got:

@ 70 MPH @ 75 degrees with <5 MPH winds
220 wh/mi with covers on
228 wh/mi with covers off

For my 2020 Model Y with 19" Gemini covers in the same conditions:
260 wh/mi with covers on
278 wh/mi with covers off (6.5% difference)

Episode 51 has more range results at lower temps demonstrating the improvement the Heat Pump provides.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
According to Darren Palmer:
"Time spent getting into a cold car - nil"

1611517067839.jpg
I think one example is talking a plugged-in car and the other not. If plugged in, it shouldn't take anything off range since it's getting that electricity from the plug rather than the battery like the Tesla video.

There's still the cost of the electricity, of course. And just plain "use of resources". 50 miles would be somewhere around 12 kWh in the Tesla. That's pretty hefty (anywhere from $1-$5, depending on what one is paying per kWh for that electricity.

Although in the Tesla video, he said the interior actually warmed up to target in 4 minutes. But he left it on a lot longer to melt more of the snow and break the ice.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
NEW Tesla Model S Revealed - Why Thomas And James Aren't Sure About It - YouTube

They start to pump the MME at around 8mins, but definitely worth watching hw whole car
Glad I'm not the only one that thinks 0-60 times aren't what choosing a car is all about (as Tesla seems to think).

I get that some people want a hot sportscar. Fine. But that's the Roadster. The rest of the Tesla lineup is supposed to be functional. Same with the Mach-E, so I totally agree with the guy on the right that Ford got it right with with the Mach-E. I'm actually glad that Ford didn't make the Mach-E faster than the Teslas. It's plenty fast enough just the way it is. Making it faster would just wastefully compromise in other areas.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Glad I'm not the only one that thinks 0-60 times aren't what choosing a car is all about (as Tesla seems to think).

I get that some people want a hot sportscar. Fine. But that's the Roadster. The rest of the Tesla lineup is supposed to be functional. Same with the Mach-E, so I totally agree with the guy on the right that Ford got it right with with the Mach-E. I'm actually glad that Ford didn't make the Mach-E faster than the Teslas. It's plenty fast enough just the way it is. Making it faster would just wastefully compromise in other areas.
0-60 is important (it's a descendant of a classic American muscle car) but Ford has wisely chosen to make the Mustang Mach-E excel in so many other areas. I'm glad I've reserved a GT though because that stoplight stomp experience is something I'm especially looking forward to.

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag

I have discounted quite a few Evs that has 0-60 above 7 seconds. It does give a sense of the car and how it would properly annoy me if it’s too slow. I think it can be a good yardstick for what the car will be like to drive if compared to your previous cars.
Sponsored