Advertisement

Why the Mustang Mach E is better than the Tesla Model Y

zhackwyatt

Reaction score
Vehicles
'13 C-Max
Country flag
Likely very clever (I won't know unless I can figure out the reason for the addition) but also very scary.

It's scary for a couple of reasons...
1. Why was it done? And what is going to be done to document the need for this added part and to potentially fix those made prior to this 'fix'.. recalls? Advisory bulletins?

2. What other parts/systems are innovated on the fly that might cause safety concerns.
Clever solution if you are buying a Yugo; or a product from Ikea.
Absolutely agree. Just to be clear, I'm saying it was a clever solution to a problem. Not the correct, right, safe, sane, acceptable solution.

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
Mach-E FE reserved, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I’ll raise this one again: quality.

i know we haven’t seen the production Mach Es yet but we’ve heard about Ford’s quality targets.

I just sat next to a Model Y at a stoplight this afternoon. I could see irregular gaps and panels weren’t flush. And that’s just looking for seconds from the next car over. 😒

agoldman

First Name
Alan
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicles
2020 volvo xc60 Polestar Edition Plug-in
Country flag

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Reaction score
First Name
Claude
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

agoldman

First Name
Alan
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicles
2020 volvo xc60 Polestar Edition Plug-in
Country flag
I’ll raise this one again: quality.

i know we haven’t seen the production Mach Es yet but we’ve heard about Ford’s quality targets.

I just sat next to a Model Y at a stoplight this afternoon. I could see irregular gaps and panels weren’t flush. And that’s just looking for seconds from the next car over. 😒
Yes, as someone who had a recent Y ordered (son has a T) and then refused the Y delivery, I can confirm that QC is a widespread Tesla problem. Even so, the wildly high resale value baffles me. Probably Teslas best feature. Remains to be seen what the ME will do a year or two out in comparison.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Reaction score
First Name
Claude
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, as someone who had a recent Y ordered (son has a T) and then refused the Y delivery, I can confirm that QC is a widespread Tesla problem.
That's what it will take, more and more people refusing delivery to get Tesla to solve these QC problems, otherwise their just looking at how many cars they deliver weekly.

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag
The road trip cost is what scares me the most, given EA's pricing structure.

I personally drive maybe 500-1,000 miles a year commuting - I don't even have Level 2 charging at home after 2 years with a BEV, never needed it - but I regularly road trip 10,000-15,000 miles/year pre-COVID. The Model 3 has made those road trips supremely affordable, convenient, and fast. But the Mach-E... that worries me.

But I like the Mach-E enough that I'm willing to put up with those flaws, I just don't want to pretend the Mach-E is going to be a "value" option at over $50k average transaction I bet.

None of us are here because we want a cheap car :)

If abetterrouteplanner is reasonably accurate it looks like it may cost roughly four to five times as much to charge at an EA charger as a SuperCharger (ME vs Y).

For you that could be up to $2k per year.

But you also have to remember that the non-Electrify America networks are also growing rapidly and are frequently less expensive.

I also assume that some of your charging during your road trips is can be done on level 2?

Mach-MI

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
If abetterrouteplanner is reasonably accurate it looks like it may cost roughly four to five times as much to charge at an EA charger as a SuperCharger (ME vs Y).

For you that could be up to $2k per year.

But you also have to remember that the non-Electrify America networks are also growing rapidly and are frequently less expensive.

I also assume that some of your charging during your road trips is can be done on level 2?
EA is supposed to be changing pricing to a per-kWh model by the end of the year, so by the time the Mach-E launches.

ajmartineau

First Name
Arthur
Reaction score
First Name
Arthur
Vehicles
2020 Bolt, 2015 B250e
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
We have no idea of the speed he drove during the trip. Show me the time it took. Show me the traffic reports. It could have been going 120 kph or it could have been 90 kph.

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag
We have no idea of the speed he drove during the trip. Show me the time it took. Show me the traffic reports. It could have been going 120 kph or it could have been 90 kph.

If you find the article about this on insideevs, a couple of Norwegians commented regarding how fast they thought he probably drove the route.

So, of course there's no way to prove it, that's why I used the word 'think' in my post.

dbsb3233

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you find the article about this on insideevs, a couple of Norwegians commented regarding how fast they thought he probably drove the route.

So, of course there's no way to prove it, that's why I used the word 'think' in my post.
Google Maps directions confirm that's it's a fairly slow mountain road from Oslo to Trondheim. A generic city-to-city drive shows 491 km in 6:26 hours. That's an average of 47 MPH.

Advertisement