Why the Mustang Mach E is better than the Tesla Model Y

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Don't forget the vastly superior SuperCharger network. ?
I wonder if this was a holiday weekend or just a random day? It does seem that opinion on the supercharger network lags reality a bit if this sort of thing is now happening on random days of the week.
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I hate to say this, but with half a dozen or more manufacturers jumping into the BEV game with CCS ports, EA chargers are going to get much more crowded. EA's 4 chargers at a site is nowhere near adequate.
I-5 at the grapevine? Either side of it? Yeah 10 times the 4 would be better.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wonder if this was a holiday weekend or just a random day? It does seem that opinion on the supercharger network lags reality a bit if this sort of thing is now happening on random days of the week.
It's mostly a California problem due to the high concentration of Teslas there thanks to the gas prices and older V2 chargers.

Superchargers in other regions in the US rarely have a line, except at a few spots on holiday weekends. With the newer V3 chargers popping up, a lot of the issues in a few spots will be reduced since the speeds are faster and the shared stalls won't lower charging speeds.

Reactions: ARK

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
This thread is a little weird, don't you think? I really, really like the Mach E. Totally stoked that Ford has stepped up while others just linger in the shadows. My wife was almost sold till she realized it didn't have enough ground clearance. But never in a million years would I sell my Tesla M3P and get a Mach E. Why? It's got nothing to do with the Mach E. For me... the Tesla is a perfect fit. That's all. Honestly I just find these "I'm better than you" threads a bit ICE-retro. They do nothing to convince people to buy a Mach E, btw.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
This thread is a little weird, don't you think? I really, really like the Mach E. Totally stoked that Ford has stepped up while others just linger in the shadows. My wife was almost sold till she realized it didn't have enough ground clearance. But never in a million years would I sell my Tesla M3P and get a Mach E. Why? It's got nothing to do with the Mach E. For me... the Tesla is a perfect fit. That's all. Honestly I just find these "I'm better than you" threads a bit ICE-retro. They do nothing to convince people to buy a Mach E, btw.
I agree with your general sentiment, I think these threads can sometimes get a little too carried away when it turns into putting down other people's choices.

I will say though, it does overall seem to me to be more of a Tesla thing to argue the "I'm better than you" line of reasoning. Not saying you do this, but to make a big generalization, it seems to me you're more likely to encounter a Tesla owner who makes an argument that goes something like, "why would anyone choose X/Y/Z over the Tesla, the Tesla has so much more range/acceleration/better charging, it makes no sense, the Tesla is clearly superior to the X/Y/Z".

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's natural for people to defend "their" brand, so obviously there's Ford favoritism here and vice versa on Tesla forums. I don't bother trying to convince people one way or another since they've most likely already have made their choice. Occasionally there are threads for potential buyers making comparisons, each car has it's own list of pros and cons.

Personally, I don't care for the CEO but the car is amazing. It's a shame a lot of people are swayed by media articles and social media, making their decisions from click bait material. Model 3 Performance and Model Y Long Range owner. Ruled out the Mach-E due to the slower charging speeds, potential first year issues, smaller interior (compared to the Y) and slow acceleration. For some, the acceleration and charging network isn't an issue, so a Mach-E makes more sense for them since there are things they won't like about the Tesla (looks, sparse interior, CEO, distance from a service center, quality, etc).

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
As said earlier in the thread a few times, the comparison between the Mach-E and Model Y are done because it is the obvious comparison. People looking for an EV SUV don't have a ton of options, which is why you see the Y, Mach-E, and ID.4 compared a lot. I know I cross shopped between those 3 the most seriously.

It is also a common question I get asked - Why didn't I get a Tesla. I have my list of reasons that I rattle off: I hate the looks (exterior & interior), I want Android Auto, the build quality in the Model Ys I have driven has sucked, the paint quality is poor.

Of course, then they want to get into some common stats and features. The bring up quickness, charging, and range usually. I tell them the 0-60 times are identical. I show them the map of CCS chargers compared to Superchargers. And I bring up Edmunds, EVDave, Alex on Autos, and others that have shown that the range is actually very similar despite what the EPA numbers say.

They also want to know if the Mach-E can "drive itself like a Tesla." And that's when I have to explain to them that no Tesla can drive itself and to get some of the features you get in the Mach-E, you have to pay another $10,000 for Tesla because it is in the FSD package. I even bring up BlueCruise because that will actually be hands free -- with proper driver monitoring.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
As said earlier in the thread a few times, the comparison between the Mach-E and Model Y are done because it is the obvious comparison. People looking for an EV SUV don't have a ton of options, which is why you see the Y, Mach-E, and ID.4 compared a lot. I know I cross shopped between those 3 the most seriously.

It is also a common question I get asked - Why didn't I get a Tesla. I have my list of reasons that I rattle off: I hate the looks (exterior & interior), I want Android Auto, the build quality in the Model Ys I have driven has sucked, the paint quality is poor.

Of course, then they want to get into some common stats and features. The bring up quickness, charging, and range usually. I tell them the 0-60 times are identical. I show them the map of CCS chargers compared to Superchargers. And I bring up Edmunds, EVDave, Alex on Autos, and others that have shown that the range is actually very similar despite what the EPA numbers say.

They also want to know if the Mach-E can "drive itself like a Tesla." And that's when I have to explain to them that no Tesla can drive itself and to get some of the features you get in the Mach-E, you have to pay another $10,000 for Tesla because it is in the FSD package. I even bring up BlueCruise because that will actually be hands free -- with proper driver monitoring.
For me personally I never really cross shopped anything else, it was more my jaw dropping with the Mach-E at its reveal and then going through with the purchase because I was very eager when, strictly speaking, nothing was wrong with the vehicle I traded in (a 2013 Chevy Equinox).

If the Mach-E didn't exist, I’m sure I would have eventually looked at the Model Y. But in its current form, it has two traits I don’t think I could get over - (1) inability to turn off one pedal driving, and (2) lack of perforated seats. Everything else ranges from great to I could live with it, but not those two items.

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
I bash Tesla because there has got to be something not quite right with a company whose CEO has declared himself "Technoking". For real. But it is also easy, LOL.

But seriously, when Tesla vehicles start aging, and having the problems that come with aging mechanical/electronic devices, what happens?

Well, they better hope that they break down in one of the 34 states that actually have a servicing dealer. 16 states do not. And 9 of those 34 states have one dealer.

You can count them for yourself here, straight from Tesla.

https://www.tesla.com/findus/list/services/United States

Good luck with that.

Meanwhile, Ford has over 3,000 USA dealers. And that is just one reason :

Why the Mustang Mach E is better than the Tesla Model Y
Ford Mustang Mach-E Why the Mustang Mach E is better than the Tesla Model Y 1624058185013

LOL.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good thing I have a service center 12 miles away, and three more within 45 miles. But yeah, it sucks to be in the Midwest.

As far as locations, they're expanding. It just takes time, like the Electrify America network.

Reactions: ARK

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I bash Tesla because there has got to be something not quite right with a company whose CEO has declared himself "Technoking". For real. But it is also easy, LOL.

But seriously, when Tesla vehicles start aging, and having the problems that come with aging mechanical/electronic devices, what happens?

Well, they better hope that they break down in one of the 34 states that actually have a servicing dealer. 16 states do not. And 9 of those 34 states have one dealer.

You can count them for yourself here, straight from Tesla.

https://www.tesla.com/findus/list/services/United States

Good luck with that.

Meanwhile, Ford has over 3,000 USA dealers. And that is just one reason :

Ford Mustang Mach-E Why the Mustang Mach E is better than the Tesla Model Y 1624058185013

LOL.
And that is why the F-150 Lightning is going to do really well with fleet buyers, business owners, etc. The CyberTruck may look cool, but when your income is dependent on having your truck functional, you want a LOCAL service center or dealer. Yeah, EVs should require less maintenance, but....

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
In the presentation of the Model S Plaid, Musk pointed to the unobstructed visibility of the gauge cluster
Good news. Model Y doesn’t have that problem.

Last edited:

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You make it sound like everyone's Tesla is sitting at a service center requiring....service. I'm active on a lot of forums and local groups and the Tesla service requirements are no different than what I see here, if not less.

If I believe everything on this forum that I've read, Ford's dealership on both the sales and service side aren't exactly Lexus-quality, either. Just wait until there are 500,000 Mach-E's on the road. The amount of issue threads will increase proportionally based upon volumes.

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
If I believe everything on this forum that I've read, Ford's dealership on both the sales and service side aren't exactly Lexus-quality, either. Just wait until there are 500,000 Mach-E's on the road. The amount of issue threads will increase proportionally based upon volumes.
Teslas have yet to be tested for durability in any significant amounts. And by significant I mean millions of vehicles, for, say, 10 years.

Well, currently Ford manages to put 2.4 million +- vehicles on the road year, after year, after year. Just figure how many millions of vehicles Ford is maintaining today.

Ford Motor Co.'s U.S. sales fell 3% in 2019, the automaker said Monday. The 2.4 million vehicles delivered by the automaker pushed industry-wide sales to 17.1 million in 2019.Jan 6, 2020
Thru new models, recalls, pandemics etc. you know that there is going to be a dealer near you, at home, or anywhere in the country.

Tesla can't say that.

In my state there are 2 Tesla dealers, one in Las Vegas and one in Reno. Covering 110,000 square miles.

I have 4 Ford dealers within a 20 mile radius of my home.

Hence the title of this thread.:)

Last edited:

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
Good news. Model Y doesn’t have that problem.
No, the MY doesn't have the problem of visibility of anything of the interior, but it has many visibility problems when trying to look outside - rearview visibility is bad, and the side view mirrors don't angle out wide enough to see the blind spots both left and right, leaving you to try to use the useless center screen graphics for blind spots.
Sponsored