Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mini Countryman & 2021 Mach E Ex.R. AWD
Occupation
Civil Plaintiff's Attorney
Country flag
I would think that all the cameras and data recording on these new cars will actually make it quite a bit easier to apportion blame in an accident. But that could likewise be of concern to Tesla’s lawyers: it cuts both ways.

And I wonder if Tesla owners know that their driving data could be potentially subpoena’d in the event of an accident?
Depends on the cause of the wreck but camera footage is always helpful in deciding who’s version of events is correct. And to the second question, I’d bet yes. I’ve got a Case with a Tesla where the owner downloaded the footage and provided it to us at intake.
Sponsored

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Depends on the cause of the wreck but camera footage is always helpful in deciding who’s version of events is correct. And to the second question, I’d bet yes. I’ve got a Case with a Tesla where the owner downloaded the footage and provided it to us at intake.
Very interesting. Is it just video footage or are you getting other data like speed, brake, hands on wheel, etc.? Are you on the plaintiffs or defense side?

I’ve read about insurance defense counsel subpoena’ing cell phone records, but I wonder if they are also demanding this detail of driving data from Tesla or the driver? It’s an evolving area of the law that I find very interesting.

wareagle1440

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mini Countryman & 2021 Mach E Ex.R. AWD
Occupation
Civil Plaintiff's Attorney
Country flag
Very interesting. Is it just video footage or are you getting other data like speed, brake, hands on wheel, etc.? Are you on the plaintiffs or defense side?

I’ve read about insurance defense counsel subpoena’ing cell phone records, but I wonder if they are also demanding this detail of driving data from Tesla or the driver? It’s an evolving area of the law that I find very interesting.
So crash data has actually been around since the early 2000s. Japanese producers used it first and then some American got on board slowly and the Germans were last basically but that was due to German privacy laws.

As a plaintiffs attorney I use crash data as well. It’s really sporadic who used it and why. I’ll use it when a particular injury is disputed for instance I hired an accident recon to opine on whether a right hip could have undergone a shearing motion to cause injury as the defenses had said it couldn’t. Well both sides used the crash data from the defendants car as a baseline. (In this case the defense expert used the wrong formula so he was wrong).

In the Tesla case Crash data was preserved but the data I was interested in at the time was the various camera angles to determine liability as the Tesla was moving from one lane to another on the highway and was rear ended.

Also sometimes cell phone records come in but not as often as you think. And if they do it’s plaintiffs attorneys requesting. Most wrecks I’ve worked on are rear end collisions which creates a presumption of liability against a defendant in colorado

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
i own both a Tesla model y long range and a Mustang Mach e. I can answer any questions you folks have
The first and most obvious question: how do they compare in the areas of: enjoyment, handling, comfort, real range, likes, dislikes? Second question: why both, and do you plan to keep both?

Joetz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e and Tesla model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The first and most obvious question: how do they compare in the areas of: enjoyment, handling, comfort, real range, likes, dislikes? Second question: why both, and do you plan to keep both?
So far my take is that tesla is a tech company and ford is a manufacturing company. That means that the panels and straighter and tighter and the ford feels better built. But I have been frustrated by the software on the Ford so far. The app is much harder to navigate and is missing a lot of features that the tesla app has. For example, how the heck do you pre-cool or heat the MME? I can set a departure time but that’s a pain in the ass...why can’t I do it with a button? And why doesn’t Ford display the charging speeds? The app will tell you when it’s going to be finished and then you can do some back of the envelope math and calculate your rate of charge, but why can’t they just tell me? How do you adjust the rate of charge on the ford? Can you adjust it at all?

the good news is that the software can be made better and more user-friendly. I’m hoping there will be app updates and over the air updates coming. I think the reason tesla never bothered with Apple CarPlay or android is because their own system is so good you dont need anything else

the tesla y LR has a much sportier feel to it with much faster, more immediate steering and a firmer ride + explosive acceleration. Tesla also offers a 2000 upgrade through the phone app where they can deliver “boost” for more power. The ford is quieter at speed and has more steering feel. I would say tesla is more like a sportscar and ford has a more luxurious feel.

Last question about why both? I have a baby and a car seat and strollers, etc and might have another baby coming. It’s just easier for me to have a small suv/crossover and electric makes sense. I just sold a tesla model s I put 150,000 miles on. I saved 40k in gas, maintenance, and tolls, so I am sold on electric.

So far I plan to keep both. I am hoping that the charging infrastructure improves so the ford is more road-trip worthy (the advantage tesla has in this area is so huge I could understand buying the tesla for that reason alone) and I am also hoping Ford improves their software.

i would say right now the Y holds the advantage.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good assessment. Having very little existing familiarity/comfort with the Tesla software ecosystem, I place higher priority on things like price, looks, cabin comfort, and build quality - all areas where MME is currently superior.

But I def acknowledge Tesla’s vastly superior charging network and software refinement and that these are important factors. Oh, and you can buy a Tesla now (without any dealer or dealer markup) as opposed to waiting 6mos. And it’s more efficient so it might save money down the road, but overall cost of ownership is hard to predict with repairs.

In my one Tesla Model Y drive (not a long range), everything felt a little cobbled together, physically. It’s a much lighter car and you can feel that in the more immediate acceleration and road noise and bumps. The turning felt different but hard to describe. It might partly have been the smaller steering wheel.

I really had no preference for the horizontal versus vertical screen orientation, tho of course I do like the MME’s second screen.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
i own both a Tesla model y long range and a Mustang Mach e. I can answer any questions you folks have
I'm really keen to get your take on range. Tesla often gets knocked for having an overly optimistic range estimator while Ford's GOM is so pessimistic that people have panic attacks. If you've driven yours any sort of distance, what's your experience been so far with both?

Radish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape
Country flag
Good assessment. Having very little existing familiarity/comfort with the Tesla software ecosystem, I place higher priority on things like price, looks, cabin comfort, and build quality - all areas where MME is currently superior.

But I def acknowledge Tesla’s vastly superior charging network and software refinement and that these are important factors. Oh, and you can buy a Tesla now (without any dealer or dealer markup) as opposed to waiting 6mos. And it’s more efficient so it might save money down the road, but overall cost of ownership is hard to predict with repairs.

In my one Tesla Model Y drive (not a long range), everything felt a little cobbled together, physically. It’s a much lighter car and you can feel that in the more immediate acceleration and road noise and bumps. The turning felt different but hard to describe. It might partly have been the smaller steering wheel.

I really had no preference for the horizontal versus vertical screen orientation, tho of course I do like the MME’s second screen.
Wait you can get a model Y right now? I thought it would take a couple months. Tesla doesn’t have an order backlog anymore?

Joetz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I'm really keen to get your take on range. Tesla often gets knocked for having an overly optimistic range estimator while Ford's GOM is so pessimistic that people have panic attacks. If you've driven yours any sort of distance, what's your experience been so far with both?
I have a feeling the range is a wash? Ford says the car can't go very far but hits 300 miles in the real world. Tesla hits 300 miles as long as you don't dip into the power.

Now here is the elephant in the room. This is the part that kills me to talk about. The car is very well made and looks good and is a compelling product so I hate bashing it. But what the hell are you supposed to do on a trip? I already tried to stop in boca raton at the mall and all of the electrify america stations were out of service. I was on the phone with someone for 30 minutes to get the charger to turn on but the whole experience was very banana republic and frustrating as hell. Tesla software tells you where and when to stop on the NAV...how many bays are occupied, etc. It's so simple and it just WORKS. You plug it in and walk away. And they are in convenient locations with food and all kinds of conveniences. How do you do a road trip in a non-tesla EV? I wouldn't hesitate to drive the Y to california tomorrow if I had to.

Joetz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Wait you can get a model Y right now? I thought it would take a couple months. Tesla doesn’t have an order backlog anymore?
No they don't. I walked in and picked up my Y from inventory. They had the car ready for me.

Radish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape
Country flag
No they don't. I walked in and picked up my Y from inventory. They had the car ready for me.
That’s alarming, I thought model y demand was much stronger than it is

Joetz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
That’s alarming, I thought model y demand was much stronger than it is
Musk was pressuring his team to meet the 500K car goal before 2021. Maybe there were extraordinary circumstances.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I have a feeling the range is a wash? Ford says the car can't go very far but hits 300 miles in the real world. Tesla hits 300 miles as long as you don't dip into the power.

Now here is the elephant in the room. This is the part that kills me to talk about. The car is very well made and looks good and is a compelling product so I hate bashing it. But what the hell are you supposed to do on a trip? I already tried to stop in boca raton at the mall and all of the electrify america stations were out of service. I was on the phone with someone for 30 minutes to get the charger to turn on but the whole experience was very banana republic and frustrating as hell. Tesla software tells you where and when to stop on the NAV...how many bays are occupied, etc. It's so simple and it just WORKS. You plug it in and walk away. And they are in convenient locations with food and all kinds of conveniences. How do you do a road trip in a non-tesla EV? I wouldn't hesitate to drive the Y to california tomorrow if I had to.
We gotta believe that the charging situation will improve. I know Electrify America has been replacing hardware at existing stations with more reliable chargers. Sucks to hear you couldn't get one to work when you tried with your MME.

When you've been able to DC fast charge, how has the experience been as far as amount of time spent? Is the 45 minutes to 80% noticeably slower than on the Y?

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah road tripping with the MME is not feasible - yet. We’re betting the charging network will be much better in a year or two. Even in a Tesla road tripping isn’t nearly as convenient as ICE.
Sponsored