Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Fellas, you've been arguing about the same thing for a week and neither has a prayer of convincing the other. This thread is supposed to be MME vs MY, not ICE vs BEV.

Please stop crapping on this thread and send argumentative DM's to each other so the rest of us don't have to listen to it. If you can't do that start another thread that the rest of us can ignore.
Sponsored

OP
OP

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
This depends on how long you keep your cars. I try to keep my cars for ten years or more. I have found that most new cars stay very reliable for five years or so after that it becomes questionable. I had a 92 Acura that was amazing until the transmission failed after about six years and the cost to repair was about the same as the value of the car. I purchased a brand-new BMW 7 series that had a couple of early problems but once they were resolved it worked fine for about five years when problems started happening and seemed to occur with increasing frequency until we were forced to sell it because again it was costing more to keep on the road than the car was worth. I have also had cars that just defied the odds. I had one of the first Acura MDXs and it never had a problem I sold it after eleven years because I was starting to develop back trouble and decided to move to a car thinking it would be better, (It wasn't). We also had a Honda 2008 Honda Fit, (we have always had one big car and one small car.) It rean without a single problem other than an AC hose issue, and we gave to our son when he graduated collage. It is still running well today! We replaced it with a 2019 Fit, which unfortunately has not proven to be so reliable. (The tire pressure monitor has intermittent problems where is says the pressure is low when it is not. )

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
Fellas, you've been arguing about the same thing for a week and neither has a prayer of convincing the other. This thread is supposed to be MME vs MY, not ICE vs BEV.
You are absolutely right. But if someone posts a ridiculous proposition, and it is not refuted, it becomes fact. There are a lot of gullible people out there.

But in deference, I started a thread in the Charging forum to refute this:

Now as far as “cost effective,” that’s only true when you charge at home. Those rapid chargers can cost more to fill up than a gas station!
Now it is time to move on.

milepost1

First Name
harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Carbonizied gray - FE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It's a false narrative that Tesla's are less reliable. J.D. Powers was not measuring reliability, they were measuring dealer visits in the first few months of ownership. If that's what you think reliability means, I have some beautiful Florida waterfront to sell you.

Our two Model 3's have 3 years of perfect reliability and I don't expect that to change. They are primarily solid state devices unlike the outdated technology of internal combustion cars.
just curious how you would measure reliability? it is just on average Tesla's need to return to dealer to repair something more often than some other cars. it is not like every land rover has something wrong with it and every Lexus has no issues. If you own a land rover you are more likey to have an issue than if you own a Lexus. and not implying Teslas are not good cars. But here is something interesting in their rankings.

Tesla profiled for first time: Tesla receives a score of 176 PP100. The automaker is not officially ranked among other brands in the study because it doesn’t meet the ranking criteria. Unlike other manufacturers, Tesla doesn’t grant J.D. Power permission to survey its owners in 15 states where it is required. However, Tesla’s score was calculated based on a robust sample of surveys from owners in the other 35 states.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
just curious how you would measure reliability? it is just on average Tesla's need to return to dealer to repair something more often than some other cars. it is not like every land rover has something wrong with it and every Lexus has no issues. If you own a land rover you are more likey to have an issue than if you own a Lexus. and not implying Teslas are not good cars. But here is something interesting in their rankings.

Tesla profiled for first time: Tesla receives a score of 176 PP100. The automaker is not officially ranked among other brands in the study because it doesn’t meet the ranking criteria. Unlike other manufacturers, Tesla doesn’t grant J.D. Power permission to survey its owners in 15 states where it is required. However, Tesla’s score was calculated based on a robust sample of surveys from owners in the other 35 states.
He's gone, forget him and whatever he said.

You're arguing with a banned opponent, so by definition you already won

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
Wife and I are doing this comparison now. She's trying to decide between a Mach and a Y (I have a 3-Performance). Thus far... the Mach has pretty terrible ground clearance for a "cross-over". Actually, barely better than my 3. Though the Y is better still not what she's used to (Range Sport). She doesn't love the portrait orientation of the screen and does the Mach even have Netflix etc. for those longer charge times? We both hate conventional dealers. So, that's hardly a plus. Especially when we have a Tesla SC fifteen minutes away. She generally likes the look of the Mach -- honestly the only Mustang I ever owned was when I was a kid, and that was a 1966 Shelby GT350. But, compared with the 3 or Y, I find the Mach interior very fuddy-duddy. The exterior is nice. She likes it, OK. Charging: because we're in So. Ca. that's probably a toss-up. But there are 8 250kw Superchargers ten minutes away. Still, we'd mostly be home-charging. She's still trying to decide, but I think the road clearance is going to be the killer. But, I could be wrong.

OP
OP

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
Wife and I are doing this comparison now. She's trying to decide between a Mach and a Y (I have a 3-Performance). Thus far... the Mach has pretty terrible ground clearance for a "cross-over". Actually, barely better than my 3. Though the Y is better still not what she's used to (Range Sport). She doesn't love the portrait orientation of the screen and does the Mach even have Netflix etc. for those longer charge times? We both hate conventional dealers. So, that's hardly a plus. Especially when we have a Tesla SC fifteen minutes away. She generally likes the look of the Mach -- honestly the only Mustang I ever owned was when I was a kid, and that was a 1966 Shelby GT350. But, compared with the 3 or Y, I find the Mach interior very fuddy-duddy. The exterior is nice. She likes it, OK. Charging: because we're in So. Ca. that's probably a toss-up. But there are 8 250kw Superchargers ten minutes away. Still, we'd mostly be home-charging. She's still trying to decide, but I think the road clearance is going to be the killer. But, I could be wrong.
I have found that the ground clearance is more than sufficient for what I need. I don't go off road, but I do have kind of a crazy (tiny) hill coming out of my driveway. This is my standard test since I have had problems with long wheelbase cars bottoming out in the past. (I am looking at you BMW 7 series.) My Mach-E clears this hurdle without an issue.

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
I have found that the ground clearance is more than sufficient for what I need. I don't go off road, but I do have kind of a crazy (tiny) hill coming out of my driveway. This is my standard test since I have had problems with long wheelbase cars bottoming out in the past. (I am looking at you BMW 7 series.) My Mach-E clears this hurdle without an issue.
Thanks efischer - issue with my wife is, she does go off road. I'll pass this on and we'll see how it all shakes out. Again, thanks.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What do you use at home to charge the 3, NEMA outlet or the Tesla HPWC?

Other than the looks, is there anything else she likes on the Mach-E over the Y?

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
Currently using a NEMA 14-50 but if she decides to go EV will see what she gets and sort. Her likes or dislikes are now moot as the ground clearance kills the Mach E idea. It's not really a cross-over, more a sports sedan. Which is ok if you're not going off-road. She will be. But, thanks for asking!
Sponsored