Why the Mustang Mach E is better than the Tesla Model Y

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Currently using a NEMA 14-50 but if she decides to go EV will see what she gets and sort. Her likes or dislikes are now moot as the ground clearance kills the Mach E idea. It's not really a cross-over, more a sports sedan. Which is ok if you're not going off-road. She will be. But, thanks for asking!
Sounds like you should get the Model Y with the lift kit for off roading!
Sponsored

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
Sounds like you should get the Model Y with the lift kit for off roading!
Yes! Probably, huh? But, there's more to it than that. There's a decent electronic break down video hosted by Sandy Munro and three geeks comparing the "electronic infrastructure" of the iD4, the Mache E and the Tesla -- I think it was the model 3, but might have been the Y. Worth a look. The difference between committee designed cars and one by an individual are -- good or bad -- stark. Personally I think the UI of the Mach E really could use a lot of cleaning up. But, that's just me. Again, thanks for your replies!

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Yes! Probably, huh? But, there's more to it than that. There's a decent electronic break down video hosted by Sandy Munro and three geeks comparing the "electronic infrastructure" of the iD4, the Mache E and the Tesla -- I think it was the model 3, but might have been the Y. Worth a look. The difference between committee designed cars and one by an individual are -- good or bad -- stark. Personally I think the UI of the Mach E really could use a lot of cleaning up. But, that's just me. Again, thanks for your replies!
I watched the Munro video about the comparison. They had a lot of good info, but one thing I think they overlooked is how repairable is something by your average technician. Ford may have done some "design by committee" but they also want to make sure their 2,100 dealers can service these things. Granted, most of the stuff they are talking about will never need servicing.

I also think the SYNC UI is underrated. Yes, there are a lot of options, but your most common features are easily accessible. When most reviewers look at the two interfaces, they think the Tesla interface looks better. And I agree, it looks really nice. But I think it also has three major design flaws.

1. The fonts are two small for critical info. The font sizes they picked may look good if that was a laptop, but to have a warning message pop-up with a small font while you are driving 70+ mph is a huge problem in my opinion.
2. Overuse of grayscale. The Tesla screen is very dull. Again, it looks pleasing if this were a laptop. But when you are driving, the contrast in colors of the SYNC system make it easier to see.
3. Horizontal screen and wasted space. The horizontal screen on the Tesla is great for one thing -- steaming video when you are charging. But while you are driving, it means that valuable data is too far away from the driver (especially with no driver screen). Add to that they put the AutoPilot visualizations closest to the driver, and it is not optimal. Those visualizations look cool, but they provide very little useful info to the driver. What purpose is it for the driver to see an inaccurate display of what the car is seeing (I say inaccurate because it is often misses items you can see or things you do see will disappear randomly.) Meanwhile, your map is closer to the passenger than the driver.

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
I watched the Munro video about the comparison. They had a lot of good info, but one thing I think they overlooked is how repairable is something by your average technician. Ford may have done some "design by committee" but they also want to make sure their 2,100 dealers can service these things. Granted, most of the stuff they are talking about will never need servicing.

I also think the SYNC UI is underrated. Yes, there are a lot of options, but your most common features are easily accessible. When most reviewers look at the two interfaces, they think the Tesla interface looks better. And I agree, it looks really nice. But I think it also has three major design flaws.

1. The fonts are two small for critical info. The font sizes they picked may look good if that was a laptop, but to have a warning message pop-up with a small font while you are driving 70+ mph is a huge problem in my opinion.
2. Overuse of grayscale. The Tesla screen is very dull. Again, it looks pleasing if this were a laptop. But when you are driving, the contrast in colors of the SYNC system make it easier to see.
3. Horizontal screen and wasted space. The horizontal screen on the Tesla is great for one thing -- steaming video when you are charging. But while you are driving, it means that valuable data is too far away from the driver (especially with no driver screen). Add to that they put the AutoPilot visualizations closest to the driver, and it is not optimal. Those visualizations look cool, but they provide very little useful info to the driver. What purpose is it for the driver to see an inaccurate display of what the car is seeing (I say inaccurate because it is often misses items you can see or things you do see will disappear randomly.) Meanwhile, your map is closer to the passenger than the driver.
I much prefer the horizonal (landscape) screen. Fonts are mentioned by some drivers -- I'm in my 70s and have zero issue with them -- if you press the satellite view the screen goes to color. Which I almost never do. But the real UI issues on the Mach for me are the volume wheel, the "transmission" wheel and the cluttered steering wheel. None of that stuff should be there. I imagine it will get cleaned up down the road. But with the Tesla you can control just about everything with the two, simple, scroll buttons + voice command. Again, that's just me.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I much prefer the horizonal (landscape) screen. Fonts are mentioned by some drivers -- I'm in my 70s and have zero issue with them -- if you press the satellite view the screen goes to color. Which I almost never do. But the real UI issues on the Mach for me are the volume wheel, the "transmission" wheel and the cluttered steering wheel. None of that stuff should be there. I imagine it will get cleaned up down the road. But with the Tesla you can control just about everything with the two, simple, scroll buttons + voice command. Again, that's just me.
Since you're a current Tesla Model 3 owner, the UI and screen layout you're familiar with. With a Tesla or Mach-E, there's always the learning curve adjusting to the UI. Non-Tesla owners have issues with the UI because they're not familiar with it. Learning curve is typically 1-2 weeks. I've had my Model Y for a year, so my wife is familiar with the car. When she got her Model 3, she was familiar with the vehicle and has had no issues with the UI other than learning about a few settings she didn't use previously.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
From a usability standing, they are too small. I get that some people prefer simplicity and a clean look. I hope they don't clean up the steering wheel and other buttons. I prefer easy and quicker access to certain functions like cruise control options, vents, glove box, etc. For me, is good balance with the use of buttons and the screen. It was just a pain to have to use the touch screen for everything.

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
From a usability standing, they are too small. I get that some people prefer simplicity and a clean look. I hope they don't clean up the steering wheel and other buttons. I prefer easy and quicker access to certain functions like cruise control options, vents, glove box, etc. For me, is good balance with the use of buttons and the screen. It was just a pain to have to use the touch screen for everything.
For most things, on the Tesla, you use the two wheel-buttons on the steering wheel and your voice. While driving, of course. Guarantee the Mach E will move in that direction as well. Simplicity.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
For most things, on the Tesla, you use the two wheel-buttons on the steering wheel and your voice. While driving, of course. Guarantee the Mach E will move in that direction as well. Simplicity.
Of course, the Mach-E does have voice commands as well via SYNC and Siri or Google Assistant.

And again... I argue that simplicity is being able to reach over and adjust the vent. Complexity is reaching over to the touch screen, selecting the Climate Control and then having to drag your finger around to try to direct the air flow. Direct access is simple to me. It all depends on your preferences. Some people like a one button mouse. Mine has 7. Some people use the mouse to navigate menus, I use hotkeys extensively.

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
Of course, the Mach-E does have voice commands as well via SYNC and Siri or Google Assistant.

And again... I argue that simplicity is being able to reach over and adjust the vent. Complexity is reaching over to the touch screen, selecting the Climate Control and then having to drag your finger around to try to direct the air flow. Direct access is simple to me. It all depends on your preferences. Some people like a one button mouse. Mine has 7. Some people use the mouse to navigate menus, I use hotkeys extensively.
Funny, some whacko took the dash on his model 3 apart to see what the dash vent looked like: essentially it runs almost the whole length. Which is, I guess, why once set I don't have to keep fiddling with it like I did on my ice cars. Anyway... we're back shopping. And thanks for the info!

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
Thanks efischer - issue with my wife is, she does go off road. I'll pass this on and we'll see how it all shakes out. Again, thanks.
FYI - Audi Etron has an "Off-Road Mode" where it gives the vehicle an additional lift of 1.4 in, thus bringing total ground clearance to 8.2 in.

EDIT - Also Jag I-Pace has air suspension, the gc is 7.8 in with it fully lifted (same gc as my Explorer Sport).

Last edited:

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
FYI - Audi Etron has an "Off-Road Mode" where it gives the vehicle an additional lift of 1.4 in, thus bringing total ground clearance to 8.2 in.
Thanks. Basically like her current Range. But, she might like the etron. Course we could always turn a Y into a monster truck. You know someone will.

Last edited:

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
Thanks efischer - issue with my wife is, she does go off road. I'll pass this on and we'll see how it all shakes out. Again, thanks.
Rivian SUV is intended for off road, but the 2021 models are sold out (delivery in summer). Other models won't come till 2022. They compete against Range Rover ,etc...

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
The Model Y the handful of times I drove it seems like someone's imagination of a computer with 4 wheels. I am already staring at a computer screen the whole day. When I drive I want to look outside at the world and not yet another screen with drill down menu's no less. I just can't see this catching on with the wider population. They already have an I-phone or android for all their screen staring needs. Why in heavens name do I need a streaming video while charging. Not only that inflict it on other people in the car. High end cars try to put a screen behind each seat so each individual can have their own screen. Just not well thought out. And at this point defensive BS.

And lets be real TSLA does all this stuff to be cheap or its imagination of what would be cheap. The fact that it has not turned out to be cheap should cause a course correction. The single screen looks and feels cheap. Like someone ran out of money.

I like the knobs and switches. And the Mach-E does not look or feel cheap. It feels like your in the cockpit of a spaceship. The Etron does this best but for $25,000 more. The Mach-E is a close second.

The same with that silly Munro video. Oh! cool Half this not switches there, but has any of that saved money or made the car better. Crickets! More pointless flag waving.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
It does not really matter what the taxes, etc. actually are on the .11 rate (really .10282).

1620353973949.jpeg

For accuracy sake, for those interested in such things.....your kWh rate for this bill is $91.61/693kWh = 13.22 cents/kWh.

The price difference, although nominally small, is 28.57% more than 10.282 cents/kWh a significant amount over time.

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
IDK, I think the 3 interior is clean and a lot of fun.
Sponsored