Why the Mustang Mach E is better than the Tesla Model Y

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I much prefer the horizonal (landscape) screen. Fonts are mentioned by some drivers -- I'm in my 70s and have zero issue with them -- if you press the satellite view the screen goes to color. Which I almost never do. But the real UI issues on the Mach for me are the volume wheel, the "transmission" wheel and the cluttered steering wheel. None of that stuff should be there. I imagine it will get cleaned up down the road. But with the Tesla you can control just about everything with the two, simple, scroll buttons + voice command. Again, that's just me.
That's why there are different cars for different people. My impression of both the M3 and MY when inside them was that they scream, "Cheap!" Which was a major consideration in taking a pass on them. I find the volume knob easy to use, as is the steering wheel toggle. I also find the verticle orientation screen better, but honestly, that's a minor quibble.

Just as an aside, AWD ≠ 4WD. I'd not take either the MY or MME offroad. But that's me. Your mileage will vary.

As I said, that's why they make different cars.

Good luck.
Sponsored

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
That's why there are different cars for different people. My impression of both the M3 and MY when inside them was that they scream, "Cheap!" Which was a major consideration in taking a pass on them. I find the volume knob easy to use, as is the steering wheel toggle. I also find the vertical orientation screen better, but honestly, that's a minor quibble.

Just as an aside, AWD ≠ 4WD. I'd not take either the MY or MME off-road. But that's me. Your mileage will vary.

As I said, that's why they make different cars.

Good luck.
Mahalo.
When driving it is still great to keep eyes on road and then glance to the screen in front that has the vital information. The screen in the MME has all the key stuff so accessible.
What do I need, change a radio station or turn the volume up or down.
The dial is quick and easy and safer for driving.
The dial for the gears, its okay. It works. Its different.

Maybe in 20 years when we do have self driving cars / flying cars then I hop into a seat somewhere in the vehicle and its all voice commands so dials and gadgets don't matter then. In the interim when I have to supervise/drive my MME I want to have things handy.

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
The bottom line for me on all this is like... when I was a kid at university in the late 60's, I discovered British sports cars. Healey, TR4, MGB, we all knew we had found something very cool -- always waved to each other. On my street the only other EV is an E-Tron and we always wave. It's that, what we're doing that's important. Not how.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Average dwell time at a freeway rest stop is between 10-12 minutes. Refuelling on a road trip is different than filling up on the way home from work. I don't understand the idea that road trippers gas and go on a 500-700 mile road trip in 5 minutes or less.
I don’t think they do. But even stopping for 10 minutes as opposed to 30-45 minutes, and stopping every 300 miles as opposed to 150-180 miles, adds up to a big difference over a long road trip. Not to mention having a bazillion gas pumps to choose from and not having to worry that the one DCFC on your route through nowheresville won’t work. There’s a BIG difference taking a “road trip” through California and trying to traverse the Midwest’s minimal DCFC backbone.

t12g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
There’s a BIG difference taking a “road trip” through California and trying to traverse the Midwest’s minimal DCFC backbone.
Not to mention the potential wait time if the DCFC charging stations become crowded. Even today it's a problem for Teslas:

It's not optimal to have charging stations built for peak demand; most of them would be sitting idle during non-peak seasons. It's also way faster to build cars than charging infrastructure. I suspect the same road trip delays will occur for other EVs in the future.

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
It's not optimal to have charging stations built for peak demand; most of them would be sitting idle during non-peak seasons. It's also way faster to build cars than charging infrastructure. I suspect the same road trip delays will occur for other EVs in the future.
We just have to play catch up. Europe is the same area as the US, about 2.3 times the population of the US, but has 7 times the BEV chargers.

People, we have a charger gap!!

USA area- 3.8 million square miles
USA population- 330 million
USA charging stations-

There are about 41,400 EV charging stations in the U.S., according to the Department of Energy. Fewer than 5,000 are fast chargers.Mar 31, 2021

Europe area-3.9 million square miles
Europe population- 748 million
Europe charging stations-

Number of electric vehicle charging stations in Europe 2010-2020. In 2020, there were roughly 285,800 public charging stations for electric vehicles in Europe (including Turkey).Mar 10, 2021

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
People, we have a charger gap!!
LOL, for all you young guys, and for some levity, watch the last 20 seconds of this vid.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Is it just me or is tesla like the Britney spears songs my daughter liked back in the DAY? OPPS I DID IT AGAIN. What did tesla do? Raise prices 500 dollars more again. The model model y has went up 2,500 since October. GUESS what.... ford didn't raise prices. Oh and the mache is still cheaper. Have a nice day. And to all you fellow mache fans........ drive ? it tell the wheels fall off.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Is it just me or is tesla like the Britney spears songs my daughter liked back in the DAY? OPPS I DID IT AGAIN. What did tesla do? Raise prices 500 dollars more again. The model model y has went up 2,500 since October. GUESS what.... ford didn't raise prices. Oh and the mache is still cheaper. Have a nice day. And to all you fellow mache fans........ drive ? it tell the wheels fall off.
Yup, model 3 too apparently. Starting model Y price is now $51,990.

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-raised-prices-on-the-model-y-and-model-3-1846942814

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Yup, model 3 too apparently. Starting model Y price is now $51,990.

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-raised-prices-on-the-model-y-and-model-3-1846942814
Not only did Tesla raise the price, they removed the radar. Now Consumer Reports and Insurance Institute of Highway Safety have both pulled their Top Safety Pick recommendations of Tesla 3/Y.

Customers taking delivery of new Teslas are not happy with the TeslaVision capabilities.

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/tesla-loses-safety-designations-for-2-models-after-dropping-radar/