efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
Interesting that you find that the model Y has substantially longer range than the Mach E, I find them to be generally similar. Remember that Tesla manipulates the testing criteria to pad their EPA rating by five to ten percent.
Sponsored

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Not in NJ. Here BEVs are exempt from sales tax!
As I have said before . . . here in Ohio, $100 more to register a Hybrid, $200 more to register ANY PHEV or BEV. Regardless of cost. Regardless of manufacturer.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
As I have said before . . . here in Ohio, $100 more to register a Hybrid, $200 more to register ANY PHEV or BEV. Regardless of cost. Regardless of manufacturer.
If I buy an MME in Hawaii, my vehicle registration will be $50 higher than that of the registration cost for an equivalent cost ICE vehicle. Plus the GET (a sales tax of sorts). And it will remain $50 higher forever.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Selling price to selling price seems like a more meaningful comparison to me than MSRP to MSRP unless all units are sold at MSRP or some fixed fraction thereof.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And that's what actually matters -- to each buyer. For you it may not be, but for many others it is.

Want something other than white?... then it's different.
Wanna buy one outside the US without the $7500 tax credit?... then it's different.
Can't do your charging mostly at home?... then it's different.

What most of the thread shows me is that for a US buyer, the price is so close between the two that it's negligible. I don't think there's many buyers paying $50k-60k for a car that are gonna decide based on $500 one way or the other. It's mostly gonna be personal preference for looks and features.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
And that's what actually matters -- to each buyer. For you it may not be, but for many others it is.

Want something other than white?... then it's different.
Wanna buy one outside the US without the $7500 tax credit?... then it's different.
Can't do your charging mostly at home?... then it's different.

What most of the thread shows me is that for a US buyer, the price is so close between the two that it's negligible. I don't think there's many buyers paying $50k-60k for a car that are gonna decide based on $500 one way or the other. It's mostly gonna be personal preference for looks and features.
Well said, Tim. And, since our personal preferences vary, our decisions can also vary even with all the same information. It is worth noting that, after considering their own personal preferences, more people bought Teslas than any other EV last year and it is very likely that in the coming year more people will buy Teslas than will buy Mach-Es next year and the next. The fact that the majority of people will choose a Tesla after considering their preferences and the available options does not mean that someone who bought a Mach-E necessarily made a mistake but more likely that they had different preferences and/or evaluated the options and the information differently.

Last edited:

darren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Mach-E
Country flag
Didn’t Tesla reduce the battery buffer to squeeze out more range. Have a higher advertised range but tell customer they should only charge to 90%.

Yoliber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TM3 SR+
Country flag
Didn’t Tesla reduce the battery buffer to squeeze out more range. Have a higher advertised range but tell customer they should only charge to 90%.
They do that, but it isn't guaranteed Ford won't recommend a lower SoC for daily charge. Polestar/Volvo/VW are recommending 80%.

Yoliber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TM3 SR+
Country flag
Customer Service

interior quality

doors that work (my frameless doors failed on me. Model Y's are having issues with the hatch closing)

UI looks better to me. I also like how bluetooth media will have an interface

apt-X support for android users

Hopefully speakers that doesn't cause the door cards to rattle at speaking volume

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well said, Tim. And, since our personal preferences vary, our decisions can also vary even with all the same information. It is worth noting that, after considering their own personal preferences, more people bought Teslas than any other EV last year and it is very likely that in the coming year more people will buy Teslas than will buy Mach-Es next year and the next. The fact that the majority of people will choose a Tesla after considering their preferences and the available options does not mean that someone who bought a Mach-E necessarily made a mistake but more likely that they had difference preferences and/or evaluated the options and the information differently.
It'll probably be a couple of years before a real sales comparison between the MME and the MY can be made. With the 50,000 cap on 2021 MMEs vs more plentiful MYs, they really can't be compared yet. The 2022's should provide better data, although even then we're not sure what the 2022 MME battery situation will be.

Either way, I think it's safe to say that both will likely do quite well. It's a big marketplace (15M passenger vehicles/yr in the US alone). Plenty of room for everyone. ?

Reactions: Nak

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
The difference between a $50k and $58k MSRP vehicle is $48. I'm all for getting a complete and accurate cost comparison, but that's getting pretty granular.
Sponsored