kdukart

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrysler Pac Hybrid, Mazda CX-5, Suburu Outback
Country flag
My electric company paid for it. Ok, kind of. I rent from them for $16 a month as part of a new program in Minnesota. But for 16, i get an installed chargepoint (or juicebox) and my rate from 12am to 6am is 2.7 cents vs the normal 9-11 cents. That pays for itself pretty quickly even with a relatively modest daily commute of 25 miles. I think there is also a energy surcharge for all rates depending on my area. Its like 2 cents or something but relative difference is still the same.

I also have a pacifica hybrid. And my father in law has a 220V plug in his garage at the lake place we visit very often in the summer so having the cable in the car will be handy if we wanna take the mustang over the luxurious minivan. When is the mustang minivan coming out? That i really want!

Now I just need the damn car to show up!
Sponsored

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
I'm going to wall mount the mobile charger to start. My state has no EVSE credits, and my utility does not a have a residential time of use plan. I rarely drive more than 40 miles a day. My furthest trip I expect to take in my MME without access to level 3 will be 200 miles. We have 2 kids and 2 dogs, so longer trips will require the 3 row vehicle anyway. I don't see me ever needing the mobile charger on a trip. As the charging network gets built out, it only will get less likely.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Ok then - why just not to buy another Level 2 charger and use it with your 240v? It might cost less than $200 (maybe even Fed's 30% tax rebate?). And then you can have Ford's mobile in your car? Why go with spending $1000+ for the charger and the complex installation?
Resale value for your home.

BEV’s are only going to get more popular as time passes, and the next owner of your house may not have rebates and tax credits available to them at that time. So, I look at it as using other people’s money (rebates and credits) to increase the value of my asset (house).

Also, since both my brother and I are electricians, we can do the installation ourselves for far less than it would cost the average person.

at the end of the day, there are as many valid reasons to install a charger as there are to not do so. It all comes down to personal preference.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Resale value for your home.

BEV’s are only going to get more popular as time passes, and the next owner of your house may not have rebates and tax credits available to them at that time. So, I look at it as using other people’s money (rebates and credits) to increase the value of my asset (house).

Also, since both my brother and I are electricians, we can do the installation ourselves for far less than it would cost the average person.

at the end of the day, there are as many valid reasons to install a charger as there are to not do so. It all comes down to personal preference.
That's not how it works. Your home value might increase by the cost of improvements minus depreciation and for you it's also minus the real estate tax that you are supposed to pay on the value of house improvements. That's definitely not a good reason to install a charger.
There is no universal answer, for some people it makes sense, for others it doesn't.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
That's not how it works. Your home value might increase by the cost of improvements minus depreciation and for you it's also minus the real estate tax that you are supposed to pay on the value of house improvements. That's definitely not a good reason to install a charger.
There is no universal answer, for some people it makes sense, for others it doesn't.
Clearly you didn’t read the last two sentences I wrote.

MamaBear

First Name
Lina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Mustang, 2021 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Energy
Country flag
I just recently purchased a Mach e and I'm wondering why would anyone buy a charger like the grizz-le or FLO or any of them for that matter. Why not just get a 220V plug installed. It makes no sense to me to spend that money. Please enlighten me on why.

The ability to program my charging to match my Time of Use Rate plan is a big saver. Also, between the state tax incentives and the rebate offered by my county, it is free. Given the growing EV adoption rate having a free upgrade that improves resale value is a no brainer.

COLabLover

First Name
Pam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
I just recently purchased a Mach e and I'm wondering why would anyone buy a charger like the grizz-le or FLO or any of them for that matter. Why not just get a 220V plug installed. It makes no sense to me to spend that money. Please enlighten me on why.
I didn't have a 240 outlet in my garage so I had one installed with the ChargePoint charger. My electric company is giving a rebate upto $250 for the charger and $250 towards the installation. It will charge my car overnight vs. the 110/120 outlet took several DAYS to recharge.

COLabLover

First Name
Pam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
Depending on your tax situation, you may qualify for the Federal tax credit on form 8911.

JWPortland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e 4x
Occupation
retired
Country flag
My utility pays for a ChargePoint, and it will do 48 amps. You can deduct the 240V installation at 30% credit on taxes. ChargePoint has nice user interface. I will keep my Ford Charger in the car.

Hoovertac

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 Mustang Shelby, 20 Escape, 21 Mach E
Occupation
Crisis Intervention
Country flag
LOL Ok, so it's literally a waste and no real advantage. That's great to know.
All good points. I did have a ChargePoint installed. It is connected and communicated with the power company to charge at optimal times. That may not be worth the effort, but at least I keep the 110 charger in the trunk in case I need it elsewhere.

kgautam28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eco boost 2016, 2021 Mach e FE, 2022 Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Software
Country flag
My utility gives it for free :), and it allows for faster charging when you suddenly plan a trip and want to charge to 100% :D
Installation charge of 240V is not eligible for tax credits if you do not install a charger (i could be wrong) so another incentive.

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
I got one. For me, it was a matter of simple convenience. I just wanted to be able to grab the handle of the wall and plug in. If I did not have the charger, I would have to go into the back of the car, unwrap the cables every night, then each morning I would have to unplug, wrap the cables carefully so they would fit in their small space under the luggage compartment floor. Maybe it would only take five minutes. But it would be five minutes every day.

exact33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Fusion
Country flag
I got one now because I think with mass adoption of Bev's, rebates to install will taper off

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Installation charge of 240V is not eligible for tax credits if you do not install a charger (i could be wrong) so another incentive.
While all tax breaks/credits are subject to interpretation if ever audited, pretty sure a 240V circuit being installed explicitly for EV charging use would still count for the federal tax credit, even if using the included Ford Mobile Charger.

Probably couldn't get away with trying to apply the credit to the included charger itself (since it's imbedded in the price of the car and can't be readily separated), but the circuit should be acceptable. It meets the intent of the credit, since you really are buying a charger and installing the circuit for it. At least that's how I interpret it. I'd certainly claim the credit in that situation (for the electrical work).
Sponsored