Wife no longer wants the ordered MME after road trip in my Lightning !

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
My wife's 2022 MME (now converted to 2023) order has been getting delay after delay emails from Ford; we took the Lightning from Los Angeles to Las Vegas for a fun road rally event https://fthepump.com/zero-runs

Charged to 100% at home (L2) and hit the road to our one stop in Baker, CA where 70 EVs in our group met to charge up.

Our group of 50 Teslas had caused a huge line waiting for one of the 40 SuperChargers.
The non Tesla group had plenty of EA chargers.

However, on the way back, we had to charge up 80% Las Vegas (2 EA chargers out of order), 90% Baker and finally 80% Barstow (3 EA chargers out of order) due to the traffic, terrain, and weather.

Wife said, if it's this many stops to recharge on the way home, she is now not wanting the MME on order.

What would you do ?

Accept the MME order or cancel ?

All 40 Tesla SC full in Baker, CA:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Wife no longer wants the ordered MME after road trip in my Lightning ! IMG_9595.JPG

EA stations available - 3 Lightnings
Ford Mustang Mach-E Wife no longer wants the ordered MME after road trip in my Lightning ! IMG_9597.JPG

On the drive up to the dam:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Wife no longer wants the ordered MME after road trip in my Lightning ! 310001940_783155796282676_1945774970904169026_n

Hoover Dam stop in Las Vegas
Ford Mustang Mach-E Wife no longer wants the ordered MME after road trip in my Lightning ! IMG_9607.JPG

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Happy wife, happy life. Do what she wants. Just my opinion after 30+ years of marriage....

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
Agree with the above, or lobby her that you'll save so much with the MME with daily driving that you can afford to rent a nice, comfortable ICE for road trips.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Agree with the above, or lobby her that you'll save so much with the MME with daily driving that you can afford to rent a nice, comfortable ICE for road trips.
Yeah but if you talk her into it, and then she doesn't like it (which would be crazy, I know), she will resent the fact you talked her into it. Get her a Lincoln Aviator instead.

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
Having two Ford EVs in the household sounds like a miserable experience. I want our cars to succeed but there are days when the MME and/or the charging experience is just a giant headache. I'd only try to convince her to get a MME if there is an additional ICE/hybrid vehicle in the garage.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
My wife has not had to pump gas since January of 2021. I bet if you asked her, your wife may think that a fair trade for one or two more stops on a road trip.

Spooky

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
My wife has not had to pump gas since January of 2021. I bet if you asked her, your wife may think that a fair trade for one or two more stops on a road trip.
Not the OP but my wife hasn’t pumped gas since 1997… I think that is why she married me! ;)

To the OP…is there a reason to not just keep the order on the books until it comes in, maybe she will have changed her mind or change it when she drives the MME?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Yeah but if you talk her into it, and then she doesn't like it (which would be crazy, I know), she will resent the fact you talked her into it. Get her a Lincoln Aviator instead.
^^

Aviator Hybrid works too.

My wife loves her Aviator.

The way we car shop: she tells me what she’s looking for in a vehicle and asks me to narrow things down to 3-5 cars. We test drove and she picks her favorite.

Worked great every time.

OP
OP
4sallypat

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

She is used to charging - she currently has a PHEV and she loves it because the ICE backup to the EV.

I think she is not used to having to wait at a public fast charger (in lieu of a gas pump) on the road....

Appreciate the very supportive comments and will see when it comes in - maybe she will "fall in love" with the new MME by the time she gets used to my Lightning and charging for another 6 months ???.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Wife said, if it's this many stops to recharge on the way home, she is now not wanting the MME on order.

What would you do ?

Accept the MME order or cancel ?
Well I don't have a wife and I tow, so I opted for a 2022 powerboost F150 and a mach e. The lightning is, well it makes a bad tow vehicle to put it lightly. I was really close to getting a lightning but I can't justify that type of vehicle (towing) with anything other than a 200kwh 800v+ architecture, which just doesn't exist yet. The 6-700 mile range of the 30 gallon tank that takes all of 5 minutes to fill.... well, less stops, less often, and when it's required, it's a bathroom break and back on the road.

Ford has been disappointing in their EV offerings as of yet. Take for instance the unlocking of 3kWh additional usage in the 2021, while placing it at the 'bottom' of the gauge. Or perhaps the 5 seconds of actual power before ramping back the already de-rated motors.

What they should have done is make ER only lightnings and broken up the standard range packs into 5 PHEV F150s using the hybrid motor from the aviator combined with the 3.5L. I think they may be doing something like this as they've now taken the raptor to 700hp so when the 540hp / 730ftlb tq PHEV F150 releases, the raptor's market and related price premium don't vanish.

Some how I think they may end up making this the next raptor though while gimping the F150 with the 3.0 PHEV platform.

Last edited:

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
The only other thing I would do I look at the difference in charging times on the same trip with a MME and the lightning. I think you would be surprised how much less time you spend charging the MME. Ultimately do what you wife wants or buy and try. this market you would probably make money flipping the MME
Sponsored