Will Ford Respond to revised 315mi range for Model Y?

RobB

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, 66 Skylark
Occupation
Filmmaker, Video Freelancer
Country flag
Last edited:

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Tesla recently announced revised range for Model Y of 315 miles.

Clearly aimed at Mach-E. Will Ford respond?

https://electrek.co/2020/01/29/tesla-model-y-range-increase-production-deliveries/
It's a good question. I suspect based off of YouTube and podcast interviews of Dave Pericak (Dir. of Icons) that they're sandbagging the specs. The $60k question is by how much? It's not in Ford's interests to try to go tit-for-tat with Tesla on the specs as I suspect that Ford will lose that measuring contest against the Model Y. Ford just has to get close enough that people won't care.

If I had to guess? I'd say the EPA range is 8-10% more than Ford's target. Figure 330mi for California Route 1 and 300 for AWD.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
That was my assumption as well. That and removing the FWD options and lower range configurations. I think they’re trying to focus on the model where they compete best on price, the premium AWD Extended range is really the only model that the Y gets close to, especially once you get the tax incentives in. Even the GT vs the Y performance is no contest with the incentives, particularly because it can qualify for the sub-60k incentives from states with a very small amount of negotiation with the dealers.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

While only 35 miles, it makes a difference in frequent visits to extended family; from one fast-charge - to can make it comfortably round trip on a single charge.

This move by Tesla is clearly aimed at increasing competition. Will Ford respond?

https://electrek.co/2020/01/29/tesla-model-y-range-increase-production-deliveries/
I wonder if some of that range is a result of arbitrarily setting the 0% and 100% points more liberally (deeper) than the competition? Doesn't Tesla have a rep for doing that? And then relying on drivers to back themselves off from pushing it that far on each end?

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag

While only 35 miles, it makes a difference in frequent visits to extended family; from one fast-charge - to can make it comfortably round trip on a single charge.

This move by Tesla is clearly aimed at increasing competition. Will Ford respond?

Increased range with only one wheel type? Did the range increase because a smaller battery buffer is now possible? 4.1 mile range per kW is possible because......you keep hearing more efficient but not what is the change/improvement for it.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
More efficient means, it is more efficient to simply modify the settings in software to flex your Elon at the cost of the customers than to be slightly conservative and perhaps release an OTA in the future once real world typical usage is recorded ?

On a serious note though, remember Tesla still has the advantage of being able to take very large risks. As an example, they can push the batteries to the absolute edge, and if the start having issues simply eat some replacement cost.

They don't give a dividend on their stock, Elon clearly hates Wall Street, yet is a genius at manipulating the analysts and shorts. It was curious that the range bump came right around earnings release ...

For me, I am interested in a reliable vehicle, that I can feel confident that my wife can drive my kids in and not be left stranded. I believe Ford is going to be much more conservative than Tesla, and that suits me fine. If the car has an issue, I want to get service at the dealership 5 Miles from me, or the other dealership 10 miles from me.

I'm not saying that Tesla does not have some good, legitimate reasons for adjusting the range, but with all the shenanigans that Tesla pulls at times, I just can't afford to bet $60k and my family on them

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The better way to measure all this would be miles/kWh (MPK?) rather than range. Range can be artificially manipulated by the manufacturer by simply placing the 0% and 100% marks more liberally or conservatively. But miles/kWh can't be manipulated that way.

Of course, it still has the same problem as measuring range -- dramatic variance depending on driving speeds/conditions. But at least comparing by MPK would get around the liberal-conservative 0%-100% factor.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
I’d be curious to know more about your particular concerns as a Model 3 owner. I suspect they’d be relevant to those of us cross-shopping with the Model Y.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I’d be curious to know more about your particular concerns as a Model 3 owner. I suspect they’d be relevant to those of us cross-shopping with the Model Y.
I second that motion!

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
Increased range with only one wheel type? Did the range increase because a smaller battery buffer is now possible? 4.1 mile range per kW is possible because......you keep hearing more efficient but not what is the change/improvement for it.
I’d be really interested to see what the Mach-E range would be with the 18” aero wheels that are offered for Model 3. Someone should buy a set, slap em on and try them out.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I’d be really interested to see what the Mach-E range would be with the 18” aero wheels that are offered for Model 3. Someone should buy a set, slap em on and try them out.
But. Ford designed the wheeleel for aero gains. May not make a difference

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The california route 1 edition comes with 18" aero wheels.
Sponsored