Will Glass Roof be Bearable in the Florida Sun?

chasvs

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ranger, Porsche, MB GLE350
Country flag
I'm seriously considering a Mach-e for when my Ford Ranger Lease ends next February. One area of concern I have is the Glass roof with no shade. I know it's too early to know how the Sun Hat penetration s going to affect these. but has anyone found a source for a dark tint or anything to darken the Rood panel?
Sponsored

physib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
All I know is opinions are all over the place, so just test drive one in the summer yourself.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
The "heat" from the Sun is via infrared. The glass roof has an infrared coating to block that (it also has a UV coating). We've only had a handful of warm days here in Michigan but so far driving in 80° weather I don't feel any heat from the roof.

Tvnewsengineer

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ER Rapid Red Mach E, 2016 Red Mustang Vert
Country flag
We have had days almost to 90 degrees here in the Tampa Bay area and I have not noticed any extra heat loading inside our Mach E due to the glass roof. It was one of my concerns as well, but it hasn't been an issue for us.

OP
OP

chasvs

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All I know is opinions are all over the place, so just test drive one in the summer yourself.
Thanks, I'm obviously planning to do that, but hoped there was information from testing done in hot climates prior to this Winter that has been made available.

OP
OP

chasvs

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We have had days almost to 90 degrees here in the Tampa Bay area and I have not noticed any extra heat loading inside our Mach E due to the glass roof. It was one of my concerns as well, but it hasn't been an issue for us.
Thanks for that. I have window film heat protection on my vehicles and it still lets lots of heat in, so was concerned about the Roof panel. Can you share how "Bright" the sun is inside? I haven't been to a Ford Dealer with a Mach-e so don't have a feel for the amount of light the Roof allows in at Peak Sunshine level.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
We test drove one on a sunny 90 degree day recently. The heat build up did not seem to be any worse than it is in our Cmax which also has a Pano roof. We have a power sunshade in the Cmax but very rarely do we use it!

Tvnewsengineer

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ER Rapid Red Mach E, 2016 Red Mustang Vert
Country flag
Thanks for that. I have window film heat protection on my vehicles and it still lets lots of heat in, so was concerned about the Roof panel. Can you share how "Bright" the sun is inside? I haven't been to a Ford Dealer with a Mach-e so don't have a feel for the amount of light the Roof allows in at Peak Sunshine level.
Its a good level of natural light, you can tell its not a "closed" roof, but its very comfortable light wise.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Reports from Arizona and Texas are favorable so far. I for one get migraines, and have not had an issue with the brightness or sun in my eyes. It's only gotten to the low 70's so far this year in NJ, so I can't talk about how hot it gets

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I'm seriously considering a Mach-e for when my Ford Ranger Lease ends next February. One area of concern I have is the Glass roof with no shade. I know it's too early to know how the Sun Hat penetration s going to affect these. but has anyone found a source for a dark tint or anything to darken the Rood panel?
No issue at all in the FL sun last month.

PMDGator

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E FE, C-Max
Country flag
Been driving my FE almost two months now and no issues, and it's been hot here in West Palm Beach. I know that the heat in August can be brutal, but so far no issues on some very sunny days.

monolith10101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier
Country flag
We live in Southern California and spent Sunday driving most of the day in 90 degree heat. We didn’t notice any difference in heat (either inside or on our heads while driving), and no glare either. Your experience may be different, but at least so far, it hasn’t been an issue for us.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
We need someone to park a Mustang Mach E in the parking lot at the magic kingdom for the day in late July-early August, then go out to the car, just before the afternoon thunderstorms to report on the interior temperature ?
Or maybe some of our CA friends can take a Mustang Mach E to Death Valley this July and let it sit in the sun while they have lunch at the hotel there ?
Sponsored