Will Mach-E be sold in every state? Or only CARB states?

E55 KEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT
Country flag
In 2017 I almost purchased a Mercedes GLE550e PHEV. The vehicle was very limited and hard to find. During my research I discovered one reason for it's limited supply may have been due to CARB state restrictions. CARB is "California Air Resources Board". The GLE550e appeared to only be sold at dealerships in CARB states.

I also found articles about Federal/State laws that cover extended warranty for EV batteries of 8 years and 100k miles, however, I read the extended warranty was only good for cars sold in a CARB state. Additionally, cars purchased in a CARB state may lose the extended battery warranty when vehicle is registered in a non-CARB state or sold to another person.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/should-i-buy-an-out-of-state-car.html says:

"The states adopting CARB standards include Arizona, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington, as well as the District of Columbia."

https://www.myev.com/research/buyers-sellers-advice/evaluating-electric-vehicle-warranties says:

"Importantly, federal regulations mandate that an EV’s battery pack, arguably its most costly component, be covered for at least eight years or 100,000 miles."

Writing this post I just found out about another auto emission category - ZEV (Zero Emission Vehicles).

https://autoweek.com/article/green-cars/autoweek-explains-carb-states-zev-states-smile-states states:

'For example, the Kia Niro EV I just drove is only for sale in ZEV states; Michigan is NOT a ZEV state, so if you want one here in Michigan, you’re out of luck."
Sponsored

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
The 2021 Mustang Mach-E will be sold in all 50 states, Canada, and much of Europe. They're supposed to sell in China at some later point, too. So it's a world car like the Kia Niro EV that you mentioned, but unlike the Kia, it won't be limited to just the ZEV states within the U.S.

OP
OP
E55 KEV

E55 KEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT
Country flag
The 2021 Mustang Mach-E will be sold in all 50 states
Thanks, My question was kinda rhetorical. I actually knew Mach-E will be sold in all states but the heart of my post is wondering how sales of the Mach-E will be effected in non CARB states and if non CARB state sales would affect the 8/100 battery warranty and 8/100 warranty for second owner purchases. I imagine the warranty will be honored (hopefully) by Ford in every states since it is a Federal law.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Thanks, My question was kinda rhetorical. I actually knew Mach-E will be sold in all states but the heart of my post is wondering how sales of the Mach-E will be effected in non CARB states and if non CARB state sales would affect the 8/100 battery warranty and 8/100 warranty for second owner purchases. I imagine the warranty will be honored (hopefully) by Ford in every states since it is a Federal law.
Ford has the same warranty advertised for all states. The issue you mention only matters for cars that are targeted to only CARB states. For example, Fiat may not honor a warranty on a Fiat 500e in South Carolina, when it doesn’t sell the car in that market or have any infrastructure to support it there.
Not an issue for the Mach E.
Sponsored