Will Mach E mean an end to the traditional Mustang?

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Here's one 'journalist' opinion on whether the Mach E will spell an end to the traditional Mustang. What do you guys think??

Article:

Highlighted in silhouette, its design represents so many familiar Mustang cues. It’s the Mustang of the future, and it’s a future that will be electric and have four doors.
You see, it seems to yours truly that Ford’s attempting to conjure an electric Mustang lineage out of thin air. A four-door body style that’s CUV in nature (sales hotness), is likely all-wheel drive, and which utilizes an all-electric drivetrain. Now why would they do such a thing? Does that sound like any Mustang to you?

No. Ford is in development of a new EV model, spending those development dollars at a very interesting and not coincidental time. Think about the existing Mustang model: It’s plenty old, and due for replacement circa 2021 with a new model. And at the same time, here’s a brand new Mustang-like EV to anticipate shortly before its November 17th release.

This EV will most likely spell the end of the traditional Mustang format. By traditional I mean two-doors, coupe or fastback shape, rear-drive, and an engine which has some gasoline in it. “No way!” you’ll think, “Mustang owners will never give up their V8!” But there won’t be a choice here. 2021 arrives, there’s a new Mustang. The V8 passes during the first refresh around 2024, leaving turbo fours. Next step, perhaps a year or two later: greater hybridization. But that’ll be alright, because the ultimate consolation prize arrives with a final refresh (or even earlier): all-wheel drive. By the time all of these pieces fall into place, the 2021-22 Mustang will be long in the tooth — time for a Commemorative Final Run Edition.

Meanwhile, the Mustang EV4 (as I’ll call it) grows in popularity. The motoring press approves of this sporty new Mustang that’s “way more practical than any Mustang should ever be.” Its refinement praised, families can’t wait to get their hands on the new electric crossover. Dads can relive the Fox bodies and New Edge Mustangs of their youth, since their Mustang EV can now carry their kids and all their junk, in real Mustang style.

The two separate Mustang paths converge upon one another, and it’s time for the consolidated product: Mustang-inspired EV and regular hybrid Mustang become the singular EV Mustang. Perhaps in four-door coupe CUV style, just like Mercedes makes.

And just as Americans have given up their convertibles, luxury coupes, station wagons, and minivans before, so too will they give up their pony cars. Sales of the traditional Mustang are falling year over year, its customer base shrinking. The Mustang EV4 is the future, and that’s a fact.

Source: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...-ev-spells-an-end-to-the-traditional-mustang/
Sponsored

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
I know a group of people who will do down kicking and screaming if this would come to pass. Though many would love a speeding brake/hatchback Mustang before the current generation moves on.

While I believe a hybrid Mustang is coming (I think even Ford hinted at it). Many in the Mustang camp feel it will be a V8 hybrid. I kind of doubt it as it makes more sense to hybridize the Ecoboost since it has room for the extra components under the hood. A full on Mustang EV would be impractical with today's battery tech which is why Ford went with a CUV body style like the Tesla Model Y and other brands being built, coming or announced.

BadaBing

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang & Explorer
Country flag
I agree that there'll be a Mustang coming soon with non-ICE power plant, but I don't think we'll ever see a convergence of the pony car Mustang and the Mach E like the opinion suggests.

There's always going to be a demographic (like me) that wants a 2-door sports coupe instead of a 4-door "coupe" like sedan or crossover. As long as there's the demand for a Mustang sports coupe, Ford will continue making it... they better!

Tony Alonso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt, 2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt, 2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt, 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1
Country flag
No (although it's possible, of course)!

We still have horses that people ride today, do we not? Cars supplanted them for going far and fast, but they are still being enjoyed today :)

Seriously, the emotional response and what a Mustang represents will matter to a large number of people at Ford. If Bill Ford stops liking a red Mustang convertible with a throaty V8, then we might see that car taken out of the market.

For now, we are witnessing a bit of history at this inflection point in our transportation choices. I believe a Mustang styled CUV will NEVER supplant the emotional allure of a 2-door styled coupe that respects the heritage but keeps the brand promise of "freedom".

I believe a Mustang-styled CUV might complement the Mustang. I have enough hope in younger buyers who appreciate the enjoyment of driving that they will like style and performance that a car brings. No disrespect to Ford making this choice for the future market, but if there are product planners and finance people that think the Mustang is replaceable with this vehicle, then that is a judgment error!

Last edited:

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew 2015 Mustang EcoBoost convertible
Country flag
Sales mean everything as long as sales support the Mustang it will survive but Ford like all of the automakers are not sentimental. If the sales are not there Mustang will die just like camaro and many other name plates.

Midnight Blue

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘15 Accord; ‘94 GT Mustang
Country flag
Plot Twist: Mach E sells drag bc of the Mustang moniker.

The Mach E should target the Tesla Y and if Ford can deliver at an affordable price, their stock price will go nuts.

This should have nothing to do with the Mustang. Most people don’t even want a Mustang, and if they did, they’d probably just get a Mustang. And if people kept buying Mustangs, they’d keep making them.

Completely independent of the Mach E.

This sounds like more whining from the Mustang folks. They still haven’t even been smoked at a stop light yet.

Last edited:

MachEBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many
Country flag
This sounds like more whining from the Mustang folks. They still haven’t even been smoked at a stop light yet.

Calm down Mustang owners, Ford says it will only be Mustang “inspired”.... there’s nothing to worry about here....

Ford Mustang Mach-E Will Mach E mean an end to the traditional Mustang? 1572078367396

Last edited:

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Edge Sport (tuned)
Country flag
No, because ICE will make a better car anyways. I even think this Mach-e would be a better car, if it were ICE.

Just need added torque from electric upon fast acceleration. Don't even need a battery, just capacitors and a small turbo engine.

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This should have nothing to do with the Mustang. Most people don’t even want a Mustang,
The Mustang is and emotional car for a lot of people including myself. Some feel right or wrongly that it will tarnish the car that is there passion. I personally don't think it will but many do.

Ranger Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BRZ, 4Runner
Occupation
Ranger
Country flag
The Mustang is and emotional car for a lot of people including myself. Some feel right or wrongly that it will tarnish the car that is there passion. I personally don't think it will but many do.
Talk about emotional... my Mustang GT owning friend is so up in arms about the Mach E "borrowing" some styling that I think he may be one of those guys who blocks charging stations with his car once the Mach E hits the streets lol. :D

But I don't think the Mustang owners should be so defensive. It's not like anyone is gonna mistaken a Mach E for a Mustang on the road. They also won't reduce the attention that a hot looking Mustang will get... especially since they make exhaust noises lol.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
Cars that block EV charging stations get flat tire a lot.

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you think about it the Mach E could be the prelude to the next generation Mustang getting a all electric version it would be the AWD Mustang everyone has been wishing for.

Shihear

First Name
Shihear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT350
Country flag
If you think about it the Mach E could be the prelude to the next generation Mustang getting a all electric version it would be the AWD Mustang everyone has been wishing for.
Exactly. Not only will its EV architecture be a basis for a next gen (S650) Mustang EV but also other vehicles like the Ford SUVs, including the new Bronco.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
The Mach E will not replace the Mustang, but it indicates the direction the Mustang will take for the future.

The Mach E is a CUV type vehicle it is not a coupe and a four door will never replace the coupe in the full on performance market.

Anything other than a coupe will be referred to as sporty, sportier or sport like. The real performance asperations will be a coupe or roadster not an SUV or even a CUV.

If you drive one of those and you are looking for performance you better get back under the porch, because the real sports cars are going to thrash you.

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not going to buy a Mach E as a sports car but I do want good performance and from the teasers Ford has shown it will have very good performance.
Sponsored