Will our EV tax credit be affected by new administration?

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I think it’s great that other people’s cars qualify for a rebate. More BEVs is better.

Looking at the submission spreadsheet there are exactly zero Washington RWD MMEs on order. So none of us are getting it.
Sponsored

Bookworm214

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Premium Mach-Ex
Occupation
Retired Truck Driver
Country flag
There are no incentives, tax credits, etc. from either the state or utility companies in SC, at least in Horry County, where I live. The one good thing is sales tax is capped at $500. There's a biennial fee of $120 for electric vehicles.

MachE2021

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Impala
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Biden may promote EV credits but rest assured they’d exclude anyone making six figures since they hate those people.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
If they really wanted to make a difference, they would put incentives on used BEVs also.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
There are no incentives, tax credits, etc. from either the state or utility companies in SC, at least in Horry County, where I live. The one good thing is sales tax is capped at $500. There's a biennial fee of $120 for electric vehicles.
That sales tax cap is a nice incentive. :) In the Phoenix area, I'll be paying roughly $4k in sales tax for this car.

As an alt fuel incentive, we get a reduction in vehicle license tax (aka property tax). So over an eight year ownership period, I think I'll be paying $150 in property tax rather than about $3800. (The amount is calculated from MSRP when the vehicle was new.)

This is separate from the various, fixed-price registration fees that everyone also has to pay. And I think the law allowing the reduced VLT for EVs is changing in a few years? So I'm not sure if my car will get grandfathered in, but I hope so. Otherwise your South Carolina incentive is much better. :)

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
I'm sure the the fisherman and local population whose ground water was compromised by lithium mining in Tibet would beg to differ. Pulling up oil out if saturated sand unable to grow anything is probably better in their case.

I'm not picking sides but we'd be fools to think once big Oil, becomes Big Lithium, all the sudden one will be better then the other.

Then we'll be sent to Bolivia, China, and Chile to secure our energy source by war of course if the past is any predictor. China spends billions against big Oil and it's earth killing industry.

99% of lithium is located in those three countries. So until we have an organic supply safely on US Soil to put everyone in a lithium Ion dependant power source is very insecure.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
That used to be more the case decades ago, but not nearly so much now that we've become far more energy independent (due largely to tremendous O/G growth in the US over the last decade). We import less than 1 Mbpd from the Middle East now, and even that we could actually replace if need be.
This argument misses the fact that oil is a global commodity whose price is set by global supply and demand. Consequently the identity of the country buying has no effect on the revenue of Middle East regimes which are selling nor on their ability to cause mischief. IOW whether the US imports its 9 Mbpd from Saudi Arabia or whether it imports 1 Mbpd from Saudi Arabia and the other 8 Mbpd from other countries changes nothing.

Fracking has definitely increased global supply, which has been good, but it hasn't fundamentally changed the equation. If it had we wouldn't have such a presence in the Persian Gulf. As for choosing to be a Peacekeeper, the vast majority of our military expenditure is for protecting our economic and political interests, and a huge chunk of that is for protecting the oil supply.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I don’t think very many of those will be sold. ...Yes, a base model w/o any options does qualify. You still end up paying them more in the long run.
If the fed rebate wasn't available, I would have stayed with a select. So, in 2022 the Select will be more palatable

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Look at the picture I posted.

It's $225 per car. MME is my third BEV.
My MME doesn't qualify, and neither do most BEVs.
I'm done with this "debate."

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...better-for-us-electric-car-future-vw-ceo-says

Biden would be better for US electric-car future, VW CEO says
avatar-image-for-bengt_100544847_s.jpg

BENGT HALVORSON NOVEMBER 5, 2020

A winner hasn’t yet been declared in this week’s U.S. Presidential election, but at least one auto-industry CEO has already spoken out about the anticipated outcome.
Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess suggested on Thursday in a Bloomberg webcast—reported via Reuters—that a Biden win would be preferable for the company’s rollout of mass-market electric vehicles.

“A Democratic programme would be more aligned with our worldwide strategy to fight climate change to go electric,” he said.

e-biden-in-c2-corvette--campaign-video_100768871_l.jpg
Joe Biden in C2 Corvette - campaign video

Diess made his comment long after all U.S. votes had been cast, of course. But it underscores that VW, probably like a number of automakers who have each invested many billions of dollars into research and development of EVs this next decade, believes that it will be better off under Biden.
In market share, the U.S. is VW’s “weakest region in the world,” Diess said. However with VW’s focus on EVs, it could be poised to gain more share as the portion of the market that’s all-electric expands.

A Trump presidency has always been a real market test for electric cars. President Trump in 2019 proposed to eliminate the $7,500 EV tax credit. Although he didn’t get that, last December, as the credit was on the verge of being broadened and extended, with bipartisan support, as part of a federal spending bill, the White House reportedly wanted that cut out.

urtesy-gage-skidmore-wikimedia-commons_100696243_l.jpg
President Donald Trump (Photo courtesy Gage Skidmore/Wikimedia Commons)

Trump last year in Michigan made fun of electric car driving range, and less than two years ago said that “all-electric is not going to work,” sharply criticizing GM’s plan to focus toward an all-electric future as “a mistake.”

Ancillary to this, the administration has opposed California emissions rules—with support from GM, Toyota, and FCA, among others—while Volkswagen, Ford, BMW, Honda, and Volvo are among the companies that have continued to ally with California EV standards likely to form the basis of a Biden plan.

vice-president-biden-in-chevy-corvette_100768874_l.jpg
Vice President Biden, in Chevy Corvette

According to the Tax Policy Center, former Vice President Biden (or the Biden campaign) has said that as President he will restore the EV tax credit, target it to those with a household income below $250,000, and repeal the ceiling that effectively penalizes automakers like GM and Tesla that have reached the 200,000 cap.

President Trump has not mentioned electric vehicles as part of his second-term plan. On his official site, there is a list of accomplishments but no second-term plan outlining positions on related matters.

Volkswagen has already committed to building a large portion of its upcoming electric vehicles in the U.S.—in Chattanooga, Tennessee, starting in 2022, with local production of the ID.4 electric crossover and one other model.

Trump has also been increasingly critical of the trade imbalance between the U.S. and Germany. Although the U.S. is likely to continue its reassessment of trade agreements under a Biden administration, the process will almost certainly be far more predictable and even-keeled—something that foreign and domestic automakers alike will likely welcome.