Will our EV tax credit be affected by new administration?

darren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Mach-E
Country flag
While reading about the new administration plan. This point is discomforting since most of us wouldn't get our car until 2021.
  • Restore the tax credit permanently for US-made electric vehicles..
Hopefully, they will take their time to finalize the policy.
Sponsored

stroszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 92x
Country flag
What this means is that GM and Tesla would get it back but Ford still has enough through 2021 under the original law. If Ford ran out of credits and wanted more they would have to move production to the US.

Anyways it's probably not going to get implemented because Republicans likely held the Senate.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
The thing is you can't go too quickly and too many discounts without hurting the infrastructure, roads more than they are already.

The tax on gas is a major deal. States and government can't just lose that money and not make it up somewhere else.

I know Cali and other states are finding ways but the rest have not even started. Nothing is free, so a loss in revenue in one place will be added to something else.

Last edited:

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Biden is very much for Green energy and electric vehicles so if he is indeed the President after all of this chaos I'm not worried about the tax credit. I would not be surprised to see the tax credit get extended beyond 200k under Biden.

The biggest threat I see is economic collapse, which is scarily possible because things are really falling apart economically right now, combined with job loss.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The U.S. very heavily subsidizes the gasoline industry. If the subsidies were removed, the cost to drive an ICE vehicle, especially large trucks which are the backbone of the US Auto industry, would double or triple. Removing all subsidies alone could drive more buyers towards BEVs.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
The U.S. very heavily subsidizes the gasoline industry. If the subsidies were removed, the cost to drive an ICE vehicle, especially large trucks which are the backbone of the US Auto industry, would double or triple. Removing all subsidies alone could drive more buyers towards BEVs.
What subsidies?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
While reading about the new administration plan. This point is discomforting since most of us wouldn't get our car until 2021.
Don't expect anything to change. Status quo. Which means Ford's EV credits should last until probably mid-2022.

That plan is worded deceivingly anyway. "Restore" implies they got taken away. No, Tesla and GM simply used up their 200,000 credits already. Ford still has 79k left.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Even if this could get through a Republican-controlled Senate the deveil is in the details. Does this mean US companies? Does this mean US plants? Would this be expanded to North American.

At this point this is all conjecture.

OP
OP

darren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Mach-E
Country flag
Don’t get me wrong. I am all for EV, in fact MME will be my 2nd. The first being Ford Focus Electric.

But the “US-Made” requirement, will be a disadvantage to MME.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
As someone who spent 21 total and three years of my life serving in the middle east, my three kids and my family is Incredibly Great full that the US is Energy Independent.
You have know idea how many corporations and politicians make Billions off sending us over to military endeavors in other countries. If people only knew.

I'm proud to serve, but would much rather rebuild middle America vs the Middle East.
Sponsored