Will our EV tax credit be affected by new administration?

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
This is insane. I hardly said anything related to political matters, and my post gets deleted.
I'd say it would be very hard to have a post in a thread which is inherently political not be political (tax credits are always political since they are political creations). So the deletion for that reason seems odd.

I have no way of knowing whether I saw the the post which was flagged. What I remember is that you were blocking LYTMCQ.

That said, being a moderator is a difficult task, no two moderators will land in the same place, and even the same moderator may land in a different place on a different day. If this bothers you, my suggestion is to ask for clarification while making clear you won't post the response.
Sponsored

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I'd say it would be very hard to have a post in a thread which is inherently political not be political (tax credits are always political since they are political creations). So the deletion for that reason seems odd.

I have no way of knowing whether I saw the the post which was flagged. What I remember is that you were blocking LYTMCQ.

That said, being a moderator is a difficult task, no two moderators will land in the same place, and even the same moderator may land in a different place on a different day. If this bothers you, my suggestion is to ask for clarification while making clear you won't post the response.
Honestly, I’m past it. Just looking forward to reading info about the MME.

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
While not directly about the MME, I think this might be good news, if it comes to fruition.

From the Biden Infrastructure Plan.

Make major public investments in automobile infrastructure — including in 500,000 electric vehicle charging stations — to create good jobs in industries supporting vehicle electrification. These investments are a key part of Biden’s commitment to reinvent the American transportation system from the factory line to the electric vehicle charging station, while promoting strong labor, training, and installation standards. This includes ensuring the workforce is trained in high quality training programs like the Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Training Program (EVITP).
So it is, at least, under consideration and discussion.

bluestarct

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Highlander, Mazda 6 GT, Mach E FE
Country flag
I would have to disagree with you on that. Having been in the rental industry for years and overseeing thousands of doors, the risk weighted numbers don't work. You are adding additional credit risk with the resident plus more things that can go wrong like emergency work orders. There is also the fact there are more than states than CA.

The return numbers don't work from an investment standpoint. Lots of capital costs and increased risks.

bluestarct

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Highlander, Mazda 6 GT, Mach E FE
Country flag
1. It is not a five year payback. It is considerably longer than that. You need to base it on location, renovation costs, state, electrical rates, upgrading electrical systems, code enforcement.
2. It is not zero cost because there are repairs and maintenance that have to be taken care of. This can include mandated annual improvements based on being a rental instead of a homestead. Not to mention vandalism and theft that occurs not matter what level of rent you are charging.
3. Restrictions on what you can charge.

There a lot of factors that you are not taking into account. Ever year we hire people and someone always says add solar to all our roofs. I tell them to present a financial model. When they finish, all of them say the return doesn't work on a retrofit. It only works on new build and even then the return is small.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
There a lot of factors that you are not taking into account. Ever year we hire people and someone always says add solar to all our roofs. I tell them to present a financial model. When they finish, all of them say the return doesn't work on a retrofit. It only works on new build and even then the return is small.
Will of course be different depending on electrical rates and the efficiency of panels and how the billing works, but where I am a significant number -- maybe 20% -- of office buildings have put solar panels over the parking lots.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Will of course be different depending on electrical rates and the efficiency of panels and how the billing works, but where I am a significant number -- maybe 20% -- of office buildings have put solar panels over the parking lots.
Doesn't necessarily mean they're cost effective though (directly). There's usually big% tax subsidies involved (often 30%+). And in CA, the fear of government mandates is ever-present. They may see the writing on the wall of mandates coming and just choose to go ahead and add it in new construction or remodels that were taking place anyway rather than costing them more to do it separately a few years later.

As you said, depends on a number of factors.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The thing is you can't go too quickly and too many discounts without hurting the infrastructure, roads more than they are already.

The tax on gas is a major deal. States and government can't just lose that money and not make it up somewhere else.

I know Cali and other states are finding ways but the rest have not even started. Nothing is free, so a loss in revenue in one place will be added to something else.
I'm part of a mileage-based fee study in Hawaii. They're collecting data for the amount of driving on public roads and trying to develop a strategy for the gas tax and registration fees which account for the real use, and vehicle impact on public roads. I'd bet there are quite a few similar studies going on.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm part of a mileage-based fee study in Hawaii. They're collecting data for the amount of driving on public roads and trying to develop a strategy for the gas tax and registration fees which account for the real use, and vehicle impact on public roads. I'd bet there are quite a few similar studies going on.
HI has a big advantage that most other states don't in terms of the potential for mileage tracking. You don't have out-of-state vehicles (without state-mandated mileage trackers) using your state roads all the time like other states.

There's many reasons why mileage tracking is a potential problem, but at least HI doesn't have the out-of-state cars problem to deal with.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
HI has a big advantage that most other states don't in terms of the potential for mileage tracking. You don't have out-of-state vehicles (without state-mandated mileage trackers) using your state roads all the time like other states.

There's many reasons why mileage tracking is a potential problem, but at least HI doesn't have the out-of-state cars problem to deal with.
Not many. If you have out of state plates here, you're in for an expensive rude awakening if the police nab you more than 30 days after the vehicle arrives. :)

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
Biden's proposed changes could affect many on here...he plans on narrowing the tax credit to those making less than $250,000 a year.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not many. If you have out of state plates here, you're in for an expensive rude awakening if the police nab you more than 30 days after the vehicle arrives. :)
Yep. And because it requires commercial shipping to get there, if the state did try to implement mileage tracking, it would be easy for them to require shippers to report vehicle shipments to them (if they don't already do that). Meaning they should be able to identify non-compliant vehicles pretty easily (i.e. those not tracking/reporting mileage). Unlike other states where people can just freely drive across the border, then leave, with no jurisdiction over them.

But even with that advantage in HI, mileage tracking still has a number of other obstacles.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Doesn't necessarily mean they're cost effective though (directly). There's usually big% tax subsidies involved (often 30%+). And in CA, the fear of government mandates is ever-present. They may see the writing on the wall of mandates coming and just choose to go ahead and add it in new construction or remodels that were taking place anyway rather than costing them more to do it separately a few years later.

As you said, depends on a number of factors.
Maybe not in all cases yet, but solar is now the cheapest energy in many areas around the globe:
The world’s best solar power schemes now offer the “cheapest…electricity in history” with the technology cheaper than coal and gas in most major countries.
https://www.carbonbrief.org/solar-is-now-cheapest-electricity-in-history-confirms-iea
Sponsored