Will the Ford Mobile Charger work on other EV's?

ConejoRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CA Route 1 Mach-E, Chevrolet Volt
Country flag
We currently have a Chevy Volt that we will be keeping as our second car (and selling a Jeep Grand Cherokee that has been sitting "stored" in the garage since we got the Volt in 2013). We just had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed for the Ford Mobile Charger to use, but was wondering if we could use the Ford Charger to also charge the Volt at Level 2 (Level 1 was fine with the Volt for overnight charging)? Is it designed to only recognize and work on the MachE? Knowing this will help us decide if we want to invest in a different charger and level the Ford Mobile in the car to just use on trips.
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
We currently have a Chevy Volt that we will be keeping as our second car (and selling a Jeep Grand Cherokee that has been sitting "stored" in the garage since we got the Volt in 2013). We just had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed for the Ford Mobile Charger to use, but was wondering if we could use the Ford Charger to also charge the Volt at Level 2 (Level 1 was fine with the Volt for overnight charging)? Is it designed to only recognize and work on the MachE? Knowing this will help us decide if we want to invest in a different charger and level the Ford Mobile in the car to just use on trips.
The Ford Mobile charger is in no way proprietary from that viewpoint. It's standard J1772 stuff.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Which begs the question... Should you go with the Ford model or another (less costly) one
the Mobile one is included with the car. I think you're thinking of the Ford Connected Charger which is a whole different discussion and there's a bunch of threads on here about different chargers.

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
the Mobile one is included with the car. I think you're thinking of the Ford Connected Charger which is a whole different discussion and there's a bunch of threads on here about different chargers.
Duh you're right... I shouldn't be browsing the forum while being on a job meeting!!!

Sorry about that

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Duh you're right... I shouldn't be browsing the forum while being on a job meeting!!!

Sorry about that
just means the meeting is not as boring as the one I'm in right now ;)

OP
OP
ConejoRed

ConejoRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, I am asking about the Mobile one that is included with the car. I assumed the Ford Connected Charger would work with any, but was not sure if the Mobile would as well.

OP
OP
ConejoRed

ConejoRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We are thinking about getting the Grizzl-E for $399. Between a $250 SoCal Air quality rebate and the 30% tax credit, it would basically come in at no cost in the end so may go ahead and order it anyway so we can leave the mobile charger in the car.

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
All the chargers are supposed to be interchangeable. I charge my Chevy Bolt from the Ford charger and my Mustang Mach E from the Chevy charger all the time.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I have a collection of charger's I aquired back in 2013. I've used them all with 4 plugins now without issue: Focus Electric, C-Max Energi, Bolt, and now the Mach-E.

You can charge either car with any EVSE/charger that you own.

You can even use the Volt's Level-1 charger on the Mach-E; just be very very patient.
Sponsored