Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Great interview with Darren. New (to me) from the video:

Mustang puddle lamp projectors

This is shown in one of Ford's web site renderings for MME, but was never mentioned/confirmed AFAIK. This doesn't impact my purchase decision, but sounds great. :) I've seen regular puddle lamps on other cars. They help make the car more inviting as you approach, even when the ground is dry.

HTML5-based user interface

Some of the code behind for this is briefly shown in the Making Of video, but was never confirmed AFAIK.

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Can anyone explain the significance of using HTML5 for programming the interface? Ford seems to think that's a big deal but I don't understand why.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Inside of a closed system like a car -- not really a big deal.

However, they are choosing technologies currently popular in the software developer community. This helps with recruiting and onboarding new team members, getting support from other devs on the 'net (e.g. stack overflow), and ongoing maintenance of their code since tooling is widely available and not proprietary.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Inside of a closed system like a car -- not really a big deal.

However, they are choosing technologies currently popular in the software developer community. This helps with recruiting and onboarding new team members, getting support from other devs on the 'net (e.g. stack overflow), and ongoing maintenance of their code since tooling is widely available and not proprietary.
I think those technologies also lend themselves to a faster development cycle.

Mach Dad

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, 2014 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Didnt really like the way the interviewer condescending tone was during his cutaways. Seemed weird to me.

Using HTML5 should make it a really flexible system. I wonder if we will see people hack the system to add there own modifications. Do people modify Teslas system?

In other videos I've seen they are going to have USB C connectors in the car too. Really seems like Ford is trying to be conscious of current tech with this vehicle. I would like to know the specs of the monitor and underlying computer system to see how 'future proof' it is.

symos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lotus Esprit
I get why HTML5 would be beneficial to Ford, but as a customer, I would prefer native apps (Android, for example) like the Polestar 2 will have.

HTML has made immense progress, but there's still no comparison between the two. Even the best mobile sites/single page apps are no match for native apps in speed, fluidity etc.

At least we will get some indirect benefits from the things previous posters mentioned like faster development times, bigger developer base etc.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I'd prefer to project Android apps using Android Auto instead of only running them natively on the vehicle.

Android running natively is great, until the manufacturer stops updating the OS. At that point, the ability to project apps from one's phone is really powerful, since we advance the tech in our pockets much more easily and often (and with greater number of choices) than the tech in our cars.

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
@Mach Dad
You nailed it. Since really getting involved with being a Tesla fan and defender about 2 years ago, Ben's channel was one of the first I followed, and subsequently unfollowed, for that very reason.
First let me say, I believe a lot of Ben's take on Tesla and its tech and innovation are good and I generally agree with much of what he produces but being a bit condescending is exactly the vibe he puts out. And it's a sentiment shared by others in the Tesla Community. I've never met him but those who have say the same thing.
I did not watch this video yet, so I'll be anxious to see if I agree with your take on Ben with this new release.
Sponsored