Will The Next-Gen Ford Mustang Be Fully-Electric?

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
What say you now #NotAMustang crowd when all Mustangs are electric?

Autoline Daily was the first to share a report published by AutoForecast Solutions, which claims an all-electric Mustang will go into production in 2028 and that no gas-burning variants will be offered.

It should arrive by the end of the decade, although we’re not convinced there won’t be another new gas-burning Mustang before the EV debuts.

Ford has already launched an all-electric Mustang model, the Mach-E crossover, and while some purists complained that it was blasphemy to do so, most people have really grown to like it, especially those who have driven it. However, we wonder what those same people would say when they hear the rumor that the next generation of the Mustang coupe could only be sold with electric power.

Yes, you read that right: the next-gen Mustang may be going EV. It won’t be launched for a few years (it’s expected to debut in 2028), but there are rumors that Ford will drop and and all ICE power plants from the Mustang once it does debut.

Autoline Daily was the first to share a report published by AutoForecast Solutions, which claims an all-electric Mustang will go into production in 2028 and that no gas-burning variants will be offered. The Mustang BEV would be built at the Flat Rock assembly plant in Michigan, where the current Mustang is built, so the facility would have to be retooled to be able to handle EV production.

If this rumor turns out to be true, then it means once the current Mustang is phased out in a few years’ time, Ford will put a pause on the nameplate until it is ready to build the all-new Mustang EV. This seems a bit far-fetched to us, given the fact that the current Mustang, the first truly modern and sports car-like generation of the model, has been a huge hit.

Besides there are other reports that claim Ford is, in fact, working on either an all-new Mustang or a heavily revised version of the current one. Those rumors say the new Mustang, whose code name is S650, would debut in late 2022 and remain on sale until the end of the decade.

This to us seems like a more plausible scenario; we question how much business sense it would make for Ford to just stop selling the Mustang for a few years. Yet it could update and improve the current model and just keep on selling that, albeit with new and never seen before features, such as all-wheel drive, hybrid power, a double-clutch gearbox and maybe even some advanced semi-autonomous driving features.
More Ford EV articles

There are also other rumors about the next Mustang that suggest it is going to be an all-new car yet again, one riding on a version of Ford’s new CD6 rear-wheel drive platform, the one used to underpin the new Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator. However, if Ford really is gearing up to eventually build pure-electric Mustangs, we say the scenario where the Blue Oval heavily updates and reengineers the current model is highest on the plausibility list.

https://insideevs.com/news/467315/ford-mustang-next-gen-electric-only/
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
What say you now #NotAMustang crowd when all Mustangs are electric?
The vast majority of quotes I've seen from the not a Mustang crowd have said they didn't mind it being electric, it was that its an SUV for the not a Mustang reasoning "it must have TWO doors".

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Feels like clickbait to me. Ford may introduce an electric mustang coupe in 2028, but there's no reason for them to stop selling the ICE power plants for which the pony has been known until they have to. Why would they give up the market with such loyal fans 7 years early?

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
So they answered their own question with knowledge they already had - no.

The next-gen Mustang is not all-electric, unfortunately. Plans for it were made long before Ford took EVs seriously.

Now the next-next-gen? If it isn't, then Mustang will be in big trouble.

wareagle1440

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mini Countryman & 2021 Mach E Ex.R. AWD
Occupation
Civil Plaintiff's Attorney
Country flag
Feels like clickbait to me. Ford may introduce an electric mustang coupe in 2028, but there's no reason for them to stop selling the ICE power plants for which the pony has been known until they have to. Why would they give up the market with such loyal fans 7 years early?
Because mustang sales and car sales in general are dropping. For Mustangs they are on 5 years of declining sales and the sales for 2020 are about half of what they were in 2015. Maybe car sales will come back around, and they probably will at least for a short spike, but electric cars are exciting and provide a more exciting driving experience.

C8AF9504-AEB7-493D-868A-C3E1F3E6344F.png

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
This is just pure speculation on my part and my brothers. But he told me he heard that Ford is stopping making all cars except Mustang. Also they will be Branding the Mustang out as its own Brand like the Genesis did. So Ford will only be selling trucks and SUVs. Then Mustang will focus on you guessed it Mustangs.

Also if California Legislature Passes all ICE vehicles made after 2035 are banned so if it passes California will be an all electric new vehicle state.

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
I believe Ford will build a two door coupe electric Mustang but I would be surprised it would totally replace either the Ecoboost or GT. I can see the Ecoboost engine replacing the V8 as a V6. 2028 is a long way off, too. I expected a full EV Mustang before then. Mustangs have a very long nose to help space out the battery packs.
Sponsored